Lets talk braid...

I received a $20 gift card to bass pro and I'm considering purchasing a spool of braid. I used braid some years ago and hated it. Couldn't cut it and it seemed to knot up a lot. I'm considering giving it another shot. What brand and lb test should I get? Will be spooling it on a shimano 2500 Stradic spinning reel used for trout and reds. If you have another brand recommendation feel free to mention it. Any help would be great.

Replies

• Crab BaitCrab Bait Posts: 271 Deckhand
    You can't go wrong with 20# power pro in red. I carry the small version of the Swiss are my knife on a retractable lanyard from Simms. The scissors cut braid like a champ. The knife is under $12. Make sure that you flip your bail over by hand...always. Make sure you put a base of Teflon tape on your spool before spooling up, and then tie your braid directly to the spool. Once you get it figured out you will catch more fish and never go back.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,929 Captain
    Power Pro hands down but I would go with 10# on the 2500
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Braid is all i use anymore but there is a HUGE learning and Tackle curve that comes along with it. In a nutshell braid has no stretch so it needs to be on a longer softer rod. That should make you feel at home being a fly fisherman (flyline has very little stretch as well). 7 1/2' ML rod. The best braid i have used is spidewrwire stealth braid 15lb. It offers the best bang for the buck Avoid power pro unless you buy the super slick type which isn't worth the double price. I have two identical outfits and the spiderwire casts a solid 20-30 foot further than the same pound test power pro the spiderwire lasts longer and get less wind knots. Leaders are a must in clear water. I use a 6' leader 14 or 20 pound tied with a uni to uni knot. Wind knots go away with experience. Always try to close the bail just before your lure hits the water then look at the spool before you retrieve to be sure there are no loose loops. If you mis one don't cast leave the bail shut and loosen the drag and pay out line till you get to the loop. Knots happen by that first loop on the retrieve. Sounds like a pain? It is! But without any question worth the added distance on your casts and the super sensitivity while working lures.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. Helpful info there. When spooling it on the reel do I want to fill the spool up as I would using mono?
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,128 Admiral
    Sufix Performance! I use the 20 but less is fine. I fill it just flush of the spool.
    Anybody have any experience with this?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Premium-Excel-Braid-Fishing-Line/product/90225/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

It's on clearance right now and has pretty good reviews. I think I will give it a shot. 20 won't be too big will it?
    no.

a touch bigger than sufix.

no
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    I really don't like to use anything bigger than 10lb on my rods. You would be shocked how large of a fish you can land without breaking off. I've used 15 and 20 in the past, but I keep coming back to regular old 10lb powerpro. I can cast 10-15 yards further with it than I can on 20, and like I said it still has plenty of strength to it. I get the benefit of a lighter line, and feel like I'm giving the fish a bit of a fighting chance. I've also used fancy premium braids in the past too and I don't really care for them. The regular stuff is plenty expensive enough and I don't see a casting benefit.

As for braid vs mono, I don't see myself using anything but braid for the near future. I won't say forever, but at least until the next great thing comes out.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,648 Captain

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Premium-Excel-Braid-Fishing-Line/product/90225/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

It's on clearance right now and has pretty good reviews. I think I will give it a shot. 20 won't be too big will it?

Even on sale it's still higher than Power Pro And Spiderwire Stealth at regular prices, both good braids.

Might be worth it to see if it's as good as they claim and 20 pounds (I see it's the smallest they offer on sale) won't be too big even though 10 or 15 would be fine.

I use 20 pound Stealth and Power pro braid, with a 12 pound mono leader, which makes one wonder why I don't just use 15 pound braid. :shrug

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    DON'T DO IT!!!!

If you are going to try braid you will hate it using a inferior product. If you are serious about giving it a try buy a spool of stealth braid 15lb and once you master it go down to 10lb.

• sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    you need to buy a spool of 15lb power pro and be done with it.
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    Billy wrote: »
    Even on sale it's still higher than Power Pro And Spiderwire Stealth at regular prices, both good braids.

Might be worth it to see if it's as good as they claim and 20 pounds (I see it's the smallest they offer on sale) won't be too big even though 10 or 15 would be fine.

I use 20 pound Stealth and Power pro braid, with a 12 pound mono leader, which makes one wonder why I don't just use 15 pound braid. :shrug

Bill

It's half the cost of PP and Stealth. It's 300 yrds vs 150.
    Ok. Just saw the other replies. I'll order the PP or the stealth instead. Thanks again guys.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    :banana
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,508 Moderator
    Thanks guys. Helpful info there. When spooling it on the reel do I want to fill the spool up as I would using mono?

Make sure you either put some tape or mono on first so the braid won't spin on the spool. Troutman uses another system of knots to start with straight braid if
    you want the extra yardage.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Just ordered 15lb stealth. Thanks again guys.
    Haven't tried the Stealth braid but have used the Ultracast which didn't do anything for me. At least you didn't buy the PP which I care less for under 50lb.

For the small stuff I still love my hi-vis yellow Sufix Performance the best!
    It's half the cost of PP and Stealth. It's 300 yrds vs 150.

Yep...I was in too big a hurry scanning it.

I'm with the majority with Stealth but I'm thinking for the money it was worth a shot...especially since it's twice the amount.

Not being a jerk here, but unless Kyle has used it, I'm not sure it can be stated it's an inferior product. What say you Kyle? :)

Bill
    I bought a couple spools of BPS private label braid and had a ton of trouble with it's lack of body...in other words too limp like old power pro. The reason I like the stealth braid is that it is about the same price as power pro and it really lasts longer. I love power pro for my grouper rods cause it really takes the abuse 65lb. I have 4 reels spooled with Power pro super slick and I love it but not at twice the price. If I fished tournaments i would use Spiderwire Ultra Cast (also very expensive) but it is really nice and casts a mile. I am sure there are other products out there that are just fine but for my purposes the stealth braid hit the $ to quality mark. The4 olny advantage of the stealth braid over std PP is last longer and cast further on my rods.
    The more important message here is that if you just spool up your current spinning outfit with braid you may have trouble and dislike the braid for the wrong reasons. Learn to use it right and match it to tackle that works with it and you will never look back.
    troutman57 wrote: »
    I bought a couple spools of BPS private label braid and had a ton of trouble with it's lack of body...in other words too limp like old power pro. The reason I like the stealth braid is that it is about the same price as power pro and it really lasts longer. I love power pro for my grouper rods cause it really takes the abuse 65lb. I have 4 reels spooled with Power pro super slick and I love it but not at twice the price. If I fished tournaments i would use Spiderwire Ultra Cast (also very expensive) but it is really nice and casts a mile. I am sure there are other products out there that are just fine but for my purposes the stealth braid hit the $ to quality mark. The4 olny advantage of the stealth braid over std PP is last longer and cast further on my rods.
    The more important message here is that if you just spool up your current spinning outfit with braid you may have trouble and dislike the braid for the wrong reasons. Learn to use it right and match it to tackle that works with it and you will never look back.

Fair enough...I wasn't sure you had tried it. I agree that the Stealth is better than the Power Pro. I have tried both. :)

Bill
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer

This is right J knows what he is talking about, nuff said!!
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    PONCE wrote: »
    This is right J knows what he is talking about, nuff said!!

Yep, for inshore never had a problem with 15lb PP. I always thought 10 was a tad light and seemed to knot up on me a little bit.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,552 Captain

I've got to agree with sharty...

I know pp isn't the best braid but it's pretty much the only brand you can buy around here. Braid is on all my rods except my kingfish (20lb mono for stretch)and grouper rods(100lb for abrasion resistance).
    Power Pro gets the job done as does primitive weapons for deer. :)

I use 80lb PP for grouper and some of my buds use 150 but I do use a 30' top shot of 80 mono. OH that's right you fish shallow. LOL
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,035 Officer
    If anybody hasn't tried the stealth braid, I highly suggest trying it. It is cheap, and holds up great. I've tried a dozen or so different braids over the years, and was really hooked on ultra cast, but after needing some braid in a pinch one day, I picked up some stealth at walmart, and haven't looked back since!