Mid July in the keys

I know this is a long way off but I'm thinking of taking the family to the Keys this July (6-21). We normally stay up near Tampa but I figure it's time to see something new. I've been looking at Islamorada and Marathon mainly but I'd be up for any location. I could use some info on rental properties if you have any. I've never been that far south and I would really hate to be disappointed (its a 23 hour drive). I'll be bringing my kayaks, hoping to get a lot of fishing in. Species is not a factor I'll fish for anything in season. Any recommendations are appreciated :D

Thanks,
Dog
2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

Replies

• mike_smike_s Posts: 411 Deckhand
    There are some nice rentals in Key Colony Beach.
  • ExocetExocet Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Fishing is fantastic in June and the weather is generally better in the keys over Tampa. You will not be disappointed.
    Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    Thanks guys I appreciate it.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Rent a boat and hit the reefs for mangrove snapper. Get out early, anchor over a reef (40-60 feet), drop a block of chum, wait 10 minutes, thaw out silversides put em on a 1.0 hook then catch fish.
    Once it gets hot come in grab your snorkel gear and hit the reefs. Come back, garb a beer, clean and eat your fresh fish. It's that simple.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • ExocetExocet Posts: 55 Deckhand
    cpr wrote: »
    Rent a boat and hit the reefs for mangrove snapper. Get out early, anchor over a reef (40-60 feet), drop a block of chum, wait 10 minutes, thaw out silversides put em on a 1.0 hook then catch fish.
    Once it gets hot come in grab your snorkel gear and hit the reefs. Come back, garb a beer, clean and eat your fresh fish. It's that simple.

Like he said! :Agree
    Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    TeamTeke wrote: »
    With your kayak you will have better opportunities in Islamorada or the Big Pine areas.

This.

Think Big Pine to Key West.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Capt SteveBetzCapt SteveBetz Posts: 67 Deckhand
    My wife and I have stayed at the Breezy Palms the last couple of years. It is in Islamorada and right down the street from Bud and Marys.
    Its family friendly place.
    You could launch Kayaks there to fish Ocean side or to fish Bay side I believe you could launch right down the street across from Bud and Marys.

We had been going down every July but have switched our plans to April this year due to other obligations I have. In the past the weather has been good in July. Except for this past year when the wind blew almost every day.
    Capt. Steve Betz
    Tampa Flats and Bay Charters
    www.flatsandbay.com
    813-727-8843
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 940 Officer
    TeamTeke wrote: »
    With your kayak you will have better opportunities in Islamorada or the Big Pine areas.

agree! If you want to get the best Kayaking, the lower keys are the best. Islamorada second and Marathon would be last choice.
    The lower keys are far more interesting boating wise and offer more accessible options close by compared to the rest of the keys, particularly Marathon. Just take a look at a map or google earth.
    But Islamorada is also very good and has more shopping, restaurants, etc. (Key West excepted).
    Thanks guys! I have been looking at quite a few in Big Pine today. Looks like I may be staying the whole month :D
    Dogman, I own a 2 bedroom one bath half duplex on stilts with 37 1/2 foot concrete dock in the big pine channel estates area. Its two blocks in off of US-1. mile marker #30. We Have great access to ocean and bay. I am located 10 houses from the open bay I also know the owner of the other half duplex, if you need more room. if you shoot me an email address i can send you pictures and more info.
    Thanks Ashley, we already have the house booked on Sugarloaf for this year. Maybe I'll see you out on the water :D