Large batch Cheese grits

Hey there, does anyone have the proportions for a large batch of cheese grits? I
m doing a fish fry for 12 adults and 10 kids. I'll probably make them ahead of time on my stove and put them in a round/cylinder cooler. Thanks!!

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Well you kind of just fold in the cheese until its to your liking..... Cook by taste.

You'll can go anywhere from 1/2 pound to 1# for that group and remember cook grits first and let them cool down to maybe 130 ish and while on heat add cheese. when you bring back up to temp for service add your herbs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • The BusinessThe Business Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Thanks, do you use heavy cream? What's the grit to cheese ratio in a big batch?
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,911 Moderator
    50/50 chicken stock : water makes for some tasty grits. Also, I love the flavor and texture of cheddar, but there's one other type of cheese that I like to use for cheese grits. OH...and ONLY for cheese grits.

Whatever real chese I use, I make sure that maybe 10% of it is... uh.... hate to say it... uh.... Velveeta. Trust me, I HATE the plastic stuff 99.9% of the time. But in cheese grits it's a nice addition. YOu still get the bite and color from the real cheese, but the Velveeta keeps hot grits from sticking to the pot forever, and it does help cream the grits up JUST a touch.

Don't go overboard.

Anyway, those are my cheese grits tips.

1. Slow cook grits
    2. Chicken stock
    3. Approx 10% of cheese is the plastic stuff.

Hmmm.... some fried fish and I'm ready to go. In fact, we may go do some sand trout fishing with ultralights this Sunday. Finger sized filets and cheese grits sound like a perfect Sunday dinner!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    x2 on the Velveta.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I back anything Panhandler says.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Catch.22Catch.22 Posts: 160 Officer
    X3 on the velveeta. Cheese grits is the only thing I use it for...if you are opposed to using it try goat cheese, but it'd take an awful lot for a pot that big...