Hollywood gun control hypocrites

m9000m9000 Posts: 1,999 Captain
Many uber liberal Hollywood types demand a "plan" for gun control, yet gladly make millions from movies with gun violence- and I bet if you broke into their homes, they would respond with guns or private security firm guards with guns would be on the scene ASAP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6m0NAq6RDk


I will take their gun control claims seriously when they vow to make no more movies with gun violence and their existing movies with gun violence are removed from circulation.

Walk the talk or be a hypocrite.
«1

Replies

  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer

    Gosh, what an exciting video. :rolleyes

    Not at all unlike shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater....
    He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

    No representation without taxation!
  • As an actor who has mastered the art of violent fiction celebrated and emulated by mass murderers...


    ​Chutzpah...
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    They are the 1%. Different rules for them.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG
    That is what we need, a ban on violent movies geared toward children. All movies in which a gun or violence is used receives an automatic X rating, For adults only. We are not in any way infringing upon their right to make such movies, just legislating who can see them.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • marco12marco12 Posts: 557 Officer
    Guns don't kill people. Movies do.
  • ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer
    You're using make-believe to strengthen a case proving hypocrisy?

    Probably not a strong argument.

    I saw The Expendables 2. Pretty fun to watch. Extreme violence and in no way has anything to do with real life political discussion whatsoever. But then again, I'm sane.
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
  • ac2020 wrote: »

    Probably not a strong argument.

    Strong enough for legal defence:

    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/films-shows-inspired-real-crimes/story?id=16836535#

    http://brainz.org/15-films-inspired-real-life-crimes/

    Its called "copycat"
    But then again, I'm sane.

    Of course you are. No crazy person would admit otherwise.:wink
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    I was watching movie trailers the other day and you would have a tough job trying to find a movie without guns. Heck even the scarecrow was packing heat and didn't have a brain...
  • Yes the founders of the Motion Picture Guild did not consider the use of guns in screenplays to be so freely celebrated in resolving disputes by violence by impressionable teens when they created their bylaws a century ago. The time is long passed to examine those standards in the context of behavior today!
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,252 AG
    marco12 wrote: »
    Guns don't kill people. Movies do.

    Time after time a person goes to a school and kills a large group of people.... where does that person ever get that idea from?
    Is there a book sold at gun shows that promote this type of violence?
    Are there gun ads featuring the use of guns to kill many helpless people at a school?
    Does the NRA offer training on committing acts of violence at a school?
    Where do these wackjobs get the idea from?

    Maybe the left should be promoting the idea of limiting free speech instead since it under the umbrella of free speech that these idea of mass killing at a school are promoted.


    btw... why did hollywood suspend the premiers of several violent movies right after the killing? Do they somehow feel responsible? No other industry suspended operations after the killings.
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    Oddly enough when I was 16 - 18 I carried my Anschutz on the school bus every monday and friday during the winter with a pocket full of ammo and never once felt the need to shoot anyone..... Those were the days..... Don't think I would have won state champion for 3 years in a row if I'd a mowed them down. Oh Well....
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    I don't remember mass murders after kids watched Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, The Loan Ranger etc. What was different back then?

    Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG
    they shot one or two bad guys an episode. Modern films number the body counts into the hundreds.

    there were probably crazy people back then and we probably had some oif the same issues. You did not hear about a multiple killing in another state like you do with 24 hour news reports.

    Wikipedia's listing of rampage killers starts in 1863

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Americas

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    I would agree that movies promote violence like they never have but then again look at some older cartoons, some would argue that cartoons like bugs bunny and wiley coyote were some of the most violent, I don't know if that is true in todays current kids gear cartoons and even adult gear cartoons that many kids watch, kind of sad when my 10 year old cousin knows more about southpark and family guy than I do. But the fact remains even if you put a x rating on violent movies there are those from the shallow end of the gene pool that would still let their kids watch them. My biggesy peeve is going to a R rated movie that a child has no business watching and the parents have their young child in the movie with them? why? did your child really say daddy i want to watch a bunch of good guys kill a bunch of bads guys? or daddy i would love to see jason, freddy or leather face slaughter a bunch of helpless people in a graphic way, I highly doubt it. Or were they just to cheap or lazt to get a baby sitter and have a adult night out? I remember when i would younger I was a huge chuck norris fan ( ok i still am) but there was a better chance of hell freezing over than my mom and dad letting me watch missing in action, or even rambo. I can still recall the first R rated movied my father and mother took me to at the age of about 12 maybe 13 only cause i begged and begged and begged and my dad finally gave in thinking how bad could it be, I didn't realize it then why my father sunk so deep in his seat as we watched cliff hanger and they used some version of the F word over 50 times, yea he counted. He was embarrassed that he let his son watch such violence and language at such a young age. Hell i didn't even know my dad cussed as much as he did until i was older and got to go on the guys annual trip up to my grandpas. I was allowed to hang with the adults that year and man did my education on the world grow, words and jokes i heard, with all my father telling me is that what you hear here stays here. And i took that repect for what it was. even now with my younger sister my dad watches his tongue but when we get out on the water or its just the guys things change the cusswords are allowed to slip and fly. why is it different? Because I am a 30 year old man with a my own family and hold the same standards with my son as my dad did to me. So until parents are held accountable for what they do in front of their children crazies will always be raised and one day snap.
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • estero wrote: »
    I don't remember mass murders after kids watched Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, The Loan Ranger etc. What was different back then?

    They wore hats. And you could tell the good guys from the bad by their color.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 1,999 Captain
    Some research reporting a connection between teenagers viewing violence and increased violent behavior.

    "Youths who most frequently visited sites depicting real people fighting, shooting, or killing were five times more likely to report engaging in assaults, stabbings, robberies, and other violent behavior than were those who never visited violent Web sites
    . "Violence online may be particularly important to our understanding of seriously violent behavior among today's young people," the researchers write. They advise health care professionals to encourage parents to install software that blocks and filters violent sites as a way of reducing access to online violence."
    http://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2009/02000/Sex_and_Violence_in_the_Media_Influence_Teen.13.aspx

    The study does not provide a cause and effect conclusion, but shows a very strong association between teens viewing violence and committing violence
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    I'll stop making them when you stop buying them. So far, business is still good and we broke box office records three times in 2012.
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    estero wrote: »
    I don't remember mass murders after kids watched Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, The Loan Ranger etc. What was different back then?

    TV was in black and white. I knew that color was too stimulating to the developing mind. It has all been downhill since... that and the fluoridated water. Nothing about fluoride in The Constitution or The Bible... God and Guns go out, Color TV and Fluoride come in... you can connect the dots yourself.
  • ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer

    Sure, because that's what lawyers who love suing people have turned the legal system into.

    It's the reason that when a car is flying through the air on a commercial it needs to be written, "cars actually dont fly" on the bottom of the screen.

    Does that justify some moron driving a car off a cliff expecting it to fly because of the commercial just because lawyers have destroyed the system?

    Not in my opinion. But its obvious my opinions vary much from that of our twisted system.

    In America we like to blame things and we get angry when no one is to blame. The guy commits suicide, so we have to re-invest blame into video games and movies because we are an idiotic society that requires vengeance when attacked. We wind up shooting ourselves in the foot every **** time (no pun intended).

    See 9-11, for more examples. Or how Ozzy's "suicide solution" caused a boy to kill himself because his mother HAD to get mad at something and probably ignored her sons cries for help about an underlying problem.

    Same thing time after time happens and were too dumb to recognize it.
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    For those who don't get it.

    Celebrities are being called hypocrites because they make hundreds millions glorifying, in most cases the misuse of firearms, and they are now calling for a ban on guns.

    I can't believe this needs an explanation.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG
    ac2020 wrote: »
    Sure, because that's what lawyers who love suing people have turned the legal system into.

    It's the reason that when a car is flying through the air on a commercial it needs to be written, "cars actually dont fly" on the bottom of the screen.

    Does that justify some moron driving a car off a cliff expecting it to fly because of the commercial just because lawyers have destroyed the system?

    Not in my opinion. But its obvious my opinions vary much from that of our twisted system.

    In America we like to blame things and we get angry when no one is to blame. The guy commits suicide, so we have to re-invest blame into video games and movies because we are an idiotic society that requires vengeance when attacked. We wind up shooting ourselves in the foot every **** time (no pun intended).

    See 9-11, for more examples. Or how Ozzy's "suicide solution" caused a boy to kill himself because his mother HAD to get mad at something and probably ignored her sons cries for help about an underlying problem.

    Same thing time after time happens and were too dumb to recognize it.

    Then why do you want more laws and restrictions against legal gun owners. Aren't you going "to blame things" when you claim we need further gun control?

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,328 AG
    cpr wrote: »
    For those who don't get it.

    Celebrities are being called hypocrites because they make hundreds millions glorifying, in most cases the misuse of firearms, and they are now calling for a ban on guns.

    I can't believe this needs an explanation.

    and are all to willing to seek out and accept the protection provided by firearms when they end up being in the proximity of their less well behaved liberal friends seeking forced income redistribution...
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer
    cpr wrote: »
    For those who don't get it.

    Celebrities are being called hypocrites because they make hundreds millions glorifying, in most cases the misuse of firearms, and they are now calling for a ban on guns.

    I can't believe this needs an explanation.

    It's f'king make-believe.

    Like kids playing cops and robbers. Next thing you know you guys are gonna outlaw that. Does it glorify robbing? I mean, we used to argue who "got" to be the robber.

    Its not hypocritical, its fake.
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 1,999 Captain
    ac2020 wrote: »
    It's f'king make-believe.

    Like kids playing cops and robbers. Next thing you know you guys are gonna outlaw that. Does it glorify robbing? I mean, we used to argue who "got" to be the robber.

    Its not hypocritical, its fake.

    Thank you Capt Obvious- we understand that the movies are not real, but the science on the topic concluded that children/teens that viewed more violent content participated in 5X more real world violence. The CT shooter was reported to have spend hours in the basement "playing" violent video games. The games probably didn't cause his mental problems, but I don't think anyone could rationally argue that his viewing the violent games helped his mental state.

    Hollywood isn't making commercials to urging us to come up with a plan to reduce the violence related to violent movies, because they make big $$$$$$$ from gun violence movies. They do however, want to limit our 2nd amendment rights: that makes them hypocrites.
  • ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer
    m9000 wrote: »
    Thank you Capt Obvious- we understand that the movies are not real, but the science on the topic concluded that children/teens that viewed more violent content participated in 5X more real world violence. The CT shooter was reported to have spend hours in the basement "playing" violent video games. The games probably didn't cause his mental problems, but I don't think anyone could rationally argue that his viewing the violent games helped his mental state.

    Hollywood isn't making commercials to urging us to come up with a plan to reduce the violence related to violent movies, because they make big $$$$$$$ from gun violence movies. They do however, want to limit our 2nd amendment rights: that makes them hypocrites.

    Apparently, its not obvious to you guys. Surprise.

    Its not hypocritical. What they do is FAKE. And you guys are trying to call them hypocrites for creating fake scenes and not wanting those fake scenes to play out into real life.

    Its simply stupid and unintelligent to call them hypocrites for acting out scenes they wouldnt want to happen in real life.

    According to you guy's twisted **** logic I suppose Shakespeare would be a hypocrite if he was against suicide. See how f'king stupid this argument is now?
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
  • ac2020 wrote: »

    According to you guy's twisted **** logic I suppose Shakespeare would be a hypocrite if he was against suicide. See how f'king stupid this argument is now?

    It is not stupid.

    In fact copycat crime is a very real thing.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer
    It is not stupid.

    In fact copycat crime is a very real thing.

    Yeah, it is real. It's an excuse for an already horrible person that was already planning on doing something horrible to begin with.

    That doesnt mean it should reflect on the original art in any way at all - legally or politically speaking.
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
  • Thankfully Frank Zappa , remarkably imaginative and talented he was did not enter politics, as he would have sucked as terribly at it as the celebrities making these commercials.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,853 AG
    greggl wrote: »
    I'll stop making them when you stop buying them. So far, business is still good and we broke box office records three times in 2012.

    Just so long as you and yours have no problems with the gun manufacturers doing the same for the same reason.
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    AC slow down and try and contemplate what what we are saying; Actors make millions glorifying guns, then they want to ban them. That is hypocritical.
    Movies make consumer goods popular, from cigarettes to cars to guns. Remember Rambo knifes? Or the movie Bullet, fastback Mustangs and Chargers sold out.
    Also look at celebratory gun fire in this state, people mimic what they see. (As a NRA member and gun owner I am appalled by such stupidity. If they want to shoot at midnight shoot into the ground, not up in the air.)


    Celebs are also are a large part of the 1% and speak of taxing the rich, go figure
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.