Wac 12/29

nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,577 Captain
Windfinder was calling for 20-30mph winds and solid 4-5's so cedar key was out of the question. Launched in wac about 10am with no knowledge of fishing in the river. Ran maybe 100 yards down river and started throwing gulp and live shrimp. Continued down river hugging the NW side of the river to stay out of the wind. Picked up a 17-18" red quickly. Ended up with 20 or so trout (3 legals to 19") a mango and 2 freshwater cats that jumped on a gulp. Not a great day but I learned a lot.

sRm55.jpg?1

qIzic.jpg?1

x8n7T.jpg

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Better than not fishing at all. Glad you made out it and caught some.
    Cow Creek is one of the better places to fish in winter...if you can get in there without knocking the skeg off.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nick it was storming at the house in the early morning hrs, so you managed a couple nice ones :applause should have wrote me back and I could have steered you out of the river:grin
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    That's the way to scratch that iitch Nick! I feel for the visitors and folks in school that have been foiled by this nasty weather and cold.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    way to tough it out and you caught some fish too :cool:
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    Purdy place to fish even when it's cold & windy! Catchin some fish is a big plus too!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    Nice going man. As many times as Ive fished there, I haven't spent much time in the river. I wish I could find a spot there to find some keeper mangos.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    That is still one of my favorite rivers....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Its always interesting to learn a new location. Great report Nick.
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,036 Captain
    the only to learn is to put in more time, and catching fish while you learn is always a good thing.