Homosassa Off Shore 12/28 Gag'n Family Style

One of the great things about holidays is the family gatherings and activities. This year my sister Nancy and her husband Fred are visiting from the DFW area. Fred and I were high school buds and partners in crime many moons ago so this visit was one I really looked forward to. Fred is not really a fisherman but a quick study and he did used to join me on lake Ontario from time to time chasing salmon. My brother Steve and his son Ben (both good inshore fisherman) Fred and I planed to take Steve’s 24’ cat offshore for some good old fashion tug of war with the grouper. Friday looked like to best weather window to sneak out so we hit the water at 7:30 and motored out through the frosty 32 degree air to 55’. We looked at one area and decided to look elsewhere and motored into the area that really was a top summer producer for red grouper and gags. We made a few drops with no bites at all. Several other boats stopped dropped and rolled on from that area. I told my crew to be patient they just haven’t woken up yet! Just as I said that Fred’s rod was doubled over and he did exactly what I instructed him to ….do NOT give a grouper and inch! A couple minutes later fred was all smiles holding his first grouper and fine 32” gag. This kept up all day in spurts with short lulls in the action. Ben had a really big AJ up boat side but on it’s 2nd run it parted ways with the leader. That was one of 3 and I am ashamed to say we went 0/3 on the Ajs. We did not catch one leagle red and we only boated 3 short reds all day so either the gags put them down or the cold temporarily turned them off. A fantastic day of sport playing and releasing at least 20 good gags! Fred is now hooked on the fishing here and best of all it was a day spent with family.

The pilot house on this Sea Dory TomCat 24 made for a comfy ride
DSC_0234-1_zpsbd1bb532.jpg
Bother Steve's prize
DSC_0229_zps3da29a3f.jpg
On the way home Fred practices showing how big his catch was!
DSC_0231-1_zpsc6742078.jpg
This AJ was too much for Ben
DSC_0226_zps0cfce971.jpg
So Dad to the rescue...LOL
DSC_0228_zpse5bc355e.jpg
Fred scored Big Fish and Most
DSC_0222_zps65807103.jpg
DSC_0221_zpsd80ab734.jpg
DSC_0220_zpsb9d7329e.jpg
DSC_0219_zps42b6ea5c.jpg
Oh yes I got a few too
DSC_0216_zps772cbbc5.jpg
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Thats a boatload of groupers. WTG Kyle.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    That is the only way to ride on them cold days....Those are some fine fishies....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Dang Kyle looks like you guys had a blast, nice catch :hail that looks like a nice sled, even comes with a get out of the cold cabin :cool:
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    yeah, I bet early on in the day that cabin was more popular than the fishing. Great family fun right there, wtg as usual.
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Great Stuff T.M.
    And You are right Fishing is one thing
    But with Family and Friends its the Best
    Congrats on another fine trip on the Bend
    :hail :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    deerfly wrote: »
    yeah, I bet early on in the day that cabin was more popular than the fishing. Great family fun right there, wtg as usual.

The pilot house is a common west coast feature due to the cold water and rainy conditions on the Pacific coast of the NW US. When we arrived at our 55' destination the air temp warmed up considerably due to the 62 degree water temp so it was wall to wall fishing......remember these are family members so it was lines in before the anchor hung and lines out when we were on plane!
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Looks like an awsome trip, thanks for the report and pics.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    Thought I already posted on this one but that was on Facebook! WOW Demz some Brutes for sure! Only wish we could keep one or two!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • KahunaKahuna Posts: 171 Officer
    Those gags are fantastic looking....nice job
  • Gator KStenzGator KStenz Posts: 232 Deckhand
    I took my son out Friday, as well. We were on the healthy gags, as you were. My son managed to get catch one red grouper and, fortunately, it was a keeper. We were in 60'. I guess the reds must be out a bit further.

We didn't see another single boat out in the area we were in all day.

It was a pretty chilly ride out in a CC, I'm betting that pilot house really was handy Friday!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,128 Admiral
    Like I was there.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    I took my son out Friday, as well. We were on the healthy gags, as you were. My son managed to get catch one red grouper and, fortunately, it was a keeper. We were in 60'. I guess the reds must be out a bit further.

We didn't see another single boat out in the area we were in all day.

It was a pretty chilly ride out in a CC, I'm betting that pilot house really was handy Friday!

I believe you are correct the reds are out a bit further. Way to go!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,594 Moderator
    Good looking grouper.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,036 Captain
    Those boys look like they are having a blast, way to put the on some slid fish. I bet that little cabin was great during that cold morning.