YT 12/28/12 - Goodbye Radioactive Fish

C..c...c...c...c……cccccoollddddddddd. I must be crazy. After a long hiatus I took the boat out with a new transom and custom camo stern paint detail. :grin Just me and the boys headed out as Mamacita and **** were shopping today. We hit the BC ramp around 1000 hours to cold air (36 degrees) and hazy clouds. The plan was to hit the discharge, since I have not been there in about a year. I knew the reports were weak for the circus, but it was a nostalgic trip for me as it was one of the first places I started fishing when I moved here in 2004.

After planing, bogging down, hitting rocks, push-poling, and then planing again, we arrived at the channel. Ended up with two other boats in the area, and we all had our fair share of jacks and mangos. Mangos…..lots and lots of mangos. I used to love catching them up river, but we occasionally had a keeper in the mix back then. Today, it was all smalls. The boys had a mini-tourney keeping track of who caught the most. I think Shorty won.

We fished for several hours and only managed one keeper trout, which was only the second one I have ever caught at the discharge. There was plenty of gar activity and I did see a Spanish catch some air. It seems that, as some have stated in other posts, the circus is just not what it used to be. Lack of warm, cooling-tower water to blame no doubt. I remember one time we caught a keeper Spanish, Pomp, trout, reds and black drums all in one day. With some other species ranging from cobia to gags, this place will be sorely missed. As was also stated before, it simply leads to the necessity of finding other winter hotspots for my crew and me to enjoy. Maybe we will return in the future, but for now, I think it’s time to say so-long to our family’s traditional winter spot. Here are a few pics from the day.

Started out cloudy…..

IMG_0181.jpg

They were a little cold this morning….I am such a terrible father.

IMG_0180.jpg

Shorty with the 22” trout. He tried to help with the netting but ended up just holding the rod for me so I could get it landed.

IMG_0182.jpg

Same fish….different kid. Have to share the face time you know.

IMG_0183.jpg

All fish were caught on shrimp, except for the trout (white X-rap) and one mango (MD twitch bait). Mangos ranged from minnow to 9”, the jacks were smalls. We ended up with about 8,500 mangos, 15 jacks and one solo gator.

The gulf looked like a lake this afternoon. You guys with the bigger boats and grouper ambitions lucked out today. It was definitely nice offshore. Happy New Year to all.

Be safe,

KAMB
Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg

Replies

• PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice going KAMB-scored some sweet trout:Rockon
  • G318G318 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Looks like two happy boys!
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Great job KAMB. That is a nice trout and 1 more than I caught on Thursday. I loved your descriptiom of "getting there"! Put some smiles on those children's faces you are a star!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Great report. Looked like a sheet of glass out there. Those little mangos sometimes get so thick that they become a nuisance, until that keeper come up and eats. WTG!!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    Great job Dad....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Nice report. They have had some issues with the pipes that feed the massive generators. This is why they are not releasing as much water. The fish are up by the plant where we are not allowed. Last year at the fence I was reading water temps of 54. I heard the water temps by the plant were right at 70. Most years it is 90 degrees when it is discharged and pushing 80 at the fence.
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    awesome getting those kids on some fish, even if its the same one. :)
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Nice Job:beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 806 Officer
    Good job. You and the kids had a great time.
  • Liquid TheropyLiquid Theropy Posts: 608 Officer
    Way to go dad! Long as there catching fish thats all that matters! Great report:USA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AKA Flatheadcat
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    I agree! Yer Da Man fer taking Yer Boys out there to learn how to fish! Catching little ones really does help them learn how to catch the Biguns! My two Boys are grown now but seeing You and Yours brings back some Great memories! Great post!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!