12-28-12 Gulf Side Action BPK

We gave it shot out back gulf side north of BPK. Our attempt at bug hunting was extremely difficult to say the least with very choppy seas and incredibly murky conditions and of course 69 chilly degrees. Found a few in about 10 feet under some ledges but could not even get a shot with the conditions being what they were. We were actually almost getting sea sick while in the water, very rough conditions. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon will be better.

We thankfully were prepared to setup in the channel on the way back and we had some pretty good action. Our cajun rattlers proved to be the ticket along with live shrimp and yielded some very nice spanish macks and tons of lady fish which are sporty and acrobatic. Hauled in a respectable near 20 inch trout :fishing via half sardine which was our target species, lost a few others as well. A fun filled few hours in some nice and relaxing conditions :grin compared to the bug aquaventure :banghead. Unfortunately lost several jigs and one rattler to the macks I suspect, oh well. Beautiful late afternoon on the water!

Enjoy the pics. Kept 5 macks, a blue fish and the sea trout. Threw back some jacks, tons of lady fish, small mangos, pinfish and leather jackets. Fire up the smokaaa!!

Replies

• swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Deckhand
    Always fun to catch a mixed bag out back. :beer
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Nice fun time. Interesting nose on that trout.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Offshore9393Offshore9393 Posts: 469 Officer
    that trout looks like it has the face of a jack
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    That is a crazy lookin jack trout, haha. Nice fish though.
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    That trout looks weird!
  • amighoamigho Posts: 776 Officer
    that trout looks like it has the face of a jack

^^^^^

My first impression, guess that's what happens when you run with a tough crowd!
    :fishing:USA
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 875 Officer
    That is a bazaar looking trout. At 1st, I thought it was a photo-shop with a head of a jack put on a trout.

I hope it fought like and jack..... and tasted like a trout. Not the other way around!
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,027 Captain
    It is definitely the oddest looking trout I have ever caught, put a nice fight with lots of headshakes. I am really glad I took the picture for posterity. Have not yet cooked it up but will do so soon, flesh looks very nice and white.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Great report Patrick....

Way to catch something and tough it out.. but hey.. chum wouldn't have been a bad idea either.. LOL

Now.. Nancy... could you please lower the fish a bit next time you take the picture???? :grin:grin:wink

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N