sheepshead question

Well I know with rigs for sheepshead, a braided leader is best but is using a wire leader too much?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,378 Moderator
    Who in the world would recommend a braided leader for sheephead? I go as stealthy as possible, Fluoro leader, about 15#. Wire is definitely out of the question.
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Who in the world would recommend a braided leader for sheephead? I go as stealthy as possible, Fluoro leader, about 15#. Wire is definitely out of the question.

X2. Sheeps are grinders so they really don't bite up on the leader. Floro is the way to go.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    There is a instructional video on YouTube that tells people to use a braided leader. The kid in the video sounds like he is about 12 so I didn't take it too seriously. I guess he just wanted extra protection from the sharp barnacles on the dock piling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UTnTS8TRc
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Stonecrab_23Stonecrab_23 Posts: 209 Officer
    Oh ok I only said that due to the fact that lots of videos and people I've talk to suggested braided including that cod of the kid house but thanks for clearing it up I don't like buying braided line and have plenty of fluoro. Thanks guys by the way I haven't ever caught it fished for sheepshead so any advice would be great.
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 717 Officer
    by the way I haven't ever caught it fished for sheepshead so any advice would be great.

I like to use a 1/0 sized circle hook with 15 lb flouro leader (as suggested above) and one split shot about 12 to 18 inches up from the hook. When you see your line start to move away just reel tight and the circle hook will set itself. There are many differnt methods but this works best for me around docks. Have fun and be sure to give us a report!

Small shrimp are the best bait for me.
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie
    Great I was planning on buying fresh shrimp thanks
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    If you have the ability and permission to scrape some barnacles off the pilings do so, that's chumming for Sheepies and will get them all fired up. In the past we have used small pieces of barnacles as bait and it's very effective.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Yea I saw that on a video and I was gonna get some crabs and chum em.
  • dieselbeefdieselbeef Posts: 652 Officer
    flat shovel on the pilings..youll slay em with that and shrimp if theyre in there..i just caught a 20''sheep..it was a scrapper
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Save the shrimp and cook them instead, sheepshead :puke
    Save the shrimp and cook them instead, sheepshead :puke

I thought sheepshead was known to be good eatin'. Have I been mislead?
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    There is a instructional video on YouTube that tells people to use a braided leader. The kid in the video sounds like he is about 12 so I didn't take it too seriously. I guess he just wanted extra protection from the sharp barnacles on the dock piling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UTnTS8TRc

Braid is not abrasion resistant at all.
    we love em..not a fishy fish..very mild
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
    Togam wrote: »
    Braid is not abrasion resistant at all.

It a lot tougher to cut with my clippers than mono. That's about all I can vouch for.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,378 Moderator
    Braid of an equal pound test is much thinner than mono, so a small nick in the braid would weaken it a lot faster than the same nick in the larger diameter mono. Braid of an equal diameter as mono is more abrasion resistant than the mono. but if you are using braid which is the same diamter as the mono you would be using, what's the advantage. Google "abrasion resistance in mono and braid"
  • project1project1 Posts: 347 Officer
    Never lost a sheepshead on mono or flourocarbon leaders. They are good!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Braid of an equal pound test is much thinner than mono, so a small nick in the braid would weaken it a lot faster than the same nick in the larger diameter mono. Braid of an equal diameter as mono is more abrasion resistant than the mono. but if you are using braid which is the same diamter as the mono you would be using, what's the advantage. Google "abrasion resistance in mono and braid"

Found some good info. Sounds like the reason for a braid main line is that the zero stretch helps you pull the fish away from the structure faster.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,201 Captain
    It depends on a lot of other variables. Need more info
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 717 Officer
    I thought sheepshead was known to be good eatin'. Have I been mislead?

Nope. Not mislead. I think they are EXCELLENT eating. A PITA to clean, but fantastic on the grill!
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie
  • PowerhousePowerhouse Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Wouldn't braid with a long leader of choice solve the issue?
    Joe

2002 Hurricane 196 Fundeck-2002 Yamaha 115

efb1e8b8-d16e-4a72-be83-5f5dcba5d540_zpsam1yfgmv.jpg
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 622 Officer
    Braid with a light flouro leader works fine. 10 lb mono straight to the hook works well also. On Monday I used braid with a long 17# fluoro leader, and my son used 10# mono straight to the hook. He got twice as many bites as me. Not sure if that was just luck, or if the 10# mono was less visible to the fish than the 17# fluoro. We were in a shallow creek with super clear water.
  • mnhuntermnhunter Posts: 69 Deckhand
    So if I fish off a dock and literally see several sheepshead feeding on the barnacles off the posts of the dock I am standing on, what would be the best way to target them off that dock? I have tried shrimp and barnacles. I take several trips a year to Longboat Key, and so far I have done well with fishing, but the sheepshead and pompano have made complete fools of me!
    go to the beach at lido and get some sand fleas...that pass if full of pompano also..jig head there..lotta current..at the bridges just throw em out there...
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • mnhuntermnhunter Posts: 69 Deckhand
    What is the best way to get the sand fleas?
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 622 Officer
    mnhunter wrote: »
    What is the best way to get the sand fleas?

I'm not sure what's the best way, but my kids catch them by digging in the sand with their hands. On the beach, right around the waterline.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    BryanC wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's the best way, but my kids catch them by digging in the sand with their hands. On the beach, right around the waterline.
    :Agree

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    yeah that works but a rake is best, sand flea rakes. but you can get a mess of em just scoopin under em right after the surf goes back out. youll see the holes they dig. get uner em and throw it in a bucket and then wash the sand out.. its kind of a pita w/o a sand flea rake
    16 ccf wellcraft.....