The shallowest I've ever seen one of these...

Caught it in 60 feet on Christmas Eve. We could see faintly see the top of the skyway, no joke. What's the shallowest other people have caught red snapper?

Replies

• Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    I have caught a few juveniles (6-8 in) jigging for runners at 9-10 in the ditch.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • Tyson BrownTyson Brown Posts: 41 Deckhand
    I think that's a Lane snapper, though... Reds don't have the spot.
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 813 Officer
    Not a Lane, it's an ARS
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 510 Officer
    Definitely a juvenile red. The young ones have a spot int he same area as lanes and the spot fades away when they get a bit bigger than the one in the picture. Lanes will have narrow yellow stripes along their bodies, which you will never see on a red snapper of any size.
  • chapperchapper Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I have caught a few juveniles (6-8 in) jigging for runners at 9-10 in the ditch.

How long ago was that? We were about a mile south of the Whistler.
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    That is for sure a red snapper. Was that the only one caught there?
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,848 Captain
    Fillet and release for a nice sandwich
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Anythings possible! I have caught yellowtails inside the bay. But the shallowest I have caught em was in Pensacola in about 40 ft.
  • H20BroH20Bro Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Was snorkeling up in Destin a while back. Grabbed a clump of sargassum that was floating. Close inspection revealed over 30 apparently juvenile ARS. Was amazed. They looked just like that but about 1/4 inch in length. Inspection of other clumps revealed yet more. Depth? About 8 feet.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Lane - juvi RS - to coin a phrase, they all look the same to me, in the cooler
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • Tyson BrownTyson Brown Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Haha, I stand corrected. I've never seen one with a spot before. I thought the yellow stripes were a little faint........
  • perlman1234perlman1234 Posts: 1,449 Officer
    If that was a lane it would be a nice one and would be in the box I am sure.
  • second splashsecond splash Posts: 46 Deckhand
    saw about a 15-20lb cubera inshore just a few days ago. up on a rock ledge coming off of some mangroves. could have been a giant mangrove snapper but I've seen big cuberas down in the bahamas and they looked the same. denied a fly and a shrimp :banghead now it's just one of those "stories".