To circus or not to circus? That is my question.

Taking the JB out for the first time in a few months (I think) and will have Shorty, my friend and his son with me. Wondering if the circus has any action or not. I have not seen any posts there of interest, and I would like to get them on some fish, since last time (about a year ago) we did not fare well. I know the water temps are hitting 50's so I figured the discharge would be busy.

Or should I stick to the deep holes near the mangroves at CR? Only problem is it is difficult to do well with the reds and trout where cuz and I have been going, with no trolling motor and an aliminum boat. I'm heading out later this week/weekend.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

-KAMB
Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg

Replies

• Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Posts: 1,037 Officer
    ...guess I should have taken a shower before posting. I'll figure it out.

Thanks.

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    I never had much luck over there in the past few years.
    def not what it used to be

• shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 851 Officer
    i believe since the nukes are not up in running the water is not as warm
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    shuterkng wrote: »
    i believe since the nukes are not up in running the water is not as warm

I heard from a friend of a friend that the Circus as we know it will no longer be a viable option for winter time fishing, The Nuke has been down for several seasons and the repairs are not going to be made to get it running again as it was. I believe that the Guberment will make them keep some sort of flow/temp standard for the discharge for the manatees but it will be no where near what it use to be. This is just a few old fat guys talking about what will happen in the future but I think the same thing as they do. I would start looking for some holes in the river that might have some warm spring water flow to attract fish.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,332 Captain
    That's likely true. The nuke produced far more heat and water circulation than the coal burners. With the price tag for fixing the nuke at more than 3 billion (to fix it right), Duke will likely just pull the plug and write off the cost of deactivation. Their refusal to pay the full tax assessment this year sure makes it look where they are headed. It's going to be a rough time for the area with regard to jobs and revenue.

Besides producing a lot of heat, the nuke cooling water flow is more consistent than for the coal burners, cycle on and off depending on demand. This inconsistency doesn't attract or hold nearly as many fish.

The fish will do fine without the plant. It's more find finding and catching them under natural conditions anyway.
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    Hey Doc don't tell anyone that I told you this but they were talking about converting it over to Natural Gas so maybe it won't be a total loss of jobs for the area.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,332 Captain
    Converting the coal burners over to natural gas would be the best thing that could happen to this area. Most all of our fish have way more mercury than they should. Coal burners and salt marshes are a bad combination. The microbes in the marshes convert the inorganic mercury that falls out of the air to the methylmercury that gets into the food chain. Breathing all that fly ash as well as having to wash it off of our cars and boats is also not a good thing. It's funny how many people who have lived here all of their lives don't seem to notice it. Sort of like sand gnats I guess.

Since we are going through a period of abundant and cheap natural gas, you would think that conversion would make good economic sense. But the company will need to decide where it wants to spend its capital. Duke has a whole lot of facilities located in different states that all have to be factored into their bottom line.
    there are A LOT of small mangos there now....and one less 22" trout