Glass Minnows?

In the last week everything that I have caught has been gorged with glass minnows and they are so thick off my dock I could walk on them. They are about an inch long and I was wondering if they are of any use, whether it is chumming or using them for bait. There has been some white bait around my dock as well. I have been using live shrimp on a mission fishin jig head right now and have done well catching everything from black sea bass to sheepshead to grouper(catch and release) heart breaking because I had my personal best gag from my kayak of 26 inches. Any thoughts on these minnows?

Replies

  • Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    It is very hard to keep them alive for any length of time. We freeze them and take them to the keys with us for chum
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    In the winter months, I routinely catch BIG glass minnows up to 4" long to use in the canals and creeks for Snook. At night, less than a foot of water, along any shoreline. Shine a light, and they scatter and jump everywhere. Small 1/4" mesh nets. I keep them alive overnight in a portable well with a commercial grade 12V bubbler. . The small ones are great for chummers, and are a staple for Yellowtail fishing. Find the bigger baits and give them a shot. Don't forget the needlefish too! :wink
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,116 Captain
    They are killer for chumming yellowtail but don't hesitate to dredge them in a little seasoned flour and fry them up crispy for a wonderful appetizer while you are drinking beer. You eat them whole and they are good.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    conchydong wrote: »
    They are killer for chumming yellowtail but don't hesitate to dredge them in a little seasoned flour and fry them up crispy for a wonderful appetizer while you are drinking beer. You eat them whole and they are good.

    Ya learn something new every day.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2


    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,406 Captain
    conchydong wrote: »
    They are killer for chumming yellowtail but don't hesitate to dredge them in a little seasoned flour and fry them up crispy for a wonderful appetizer while you are drinking beer. You eat them whole and they are good.

    Like smelt?
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,116 Captain
    DBRYAN wrote: »
    Like smelt?

    I guess, I never had smelt though.
    The Cubans call the Glass Minnows "Majua". If you google Majua fish, you can probably find recipes.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • You guys are eating bait?
    What's next? squid? clams? crabs?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    The glass minnows we have in the Gulf are usually bay anchovies. The ones in the Caribbean and Cuba are little round herring, which are a different species. Both are edible.
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    So, no one has taken a handful of fresh dead ones and thrown them under or around the dock before fishing? Just a thought, may have been a coincidence but I tried this with some small white bait and first cast in pulled out a nice red. The eating whole thing sounds good and I believe I've heard of that before.
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Triguy wrote: »
    catching everything from black sea bass to sheepshead to grouper(catch and release) heart breaking because I had my personal best gag from my kayak of 26 inches.

    Really can't believe no one asked for pictures, you guys are getting soft.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,337 AG
    Triguy wrote: »
    IAny thoughts on these minnows?

    Yeah, when they are around in numbers and the local fish are eating them, it's best to "match the hatch". Personally, I use a fly rod and a glass minnow imitation (or a very small swimbait) as I have never been able to effectively use glass minnows as bait either alive or dead.
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Okay, I did it. Caught fresh, dipped in seasoned flour while they were still flipping and deep fried. Not bad at all, my wife even had some.
    Nothing to write home about but pretty good. I'm not huge on fried though. Think I will just use them as chum.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,116 Captain
    At least you tried them. :applause Good for you. Hope you have a great New Year.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    we use them offshore to chums snapper
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,981 Moderator
    Triguy wrote: »
    Okay, I did it. Caught fresh, dipped in seasoned flour while they were still flipping and deep fried. Not bad at all, my wife even had some.
    Nothing to write home about but pretty good. I'm not huge on fried though. Think I will just use them as chum.

    Yick
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Dipped in ketchup, I bet they taste like fishy french fries...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    You know we used a homemade cocktail sauce and they aren't fishy to me at all, as a matter of fact my wife even said they didn't have a whole lot of flavor out side of the seasoning. Just crunchy little morsels. She asked me if I thought they were good for you and I said oh yea, she then said you would say that about anything from the ocean. I agree
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I would try them... & w/the right sauce I'd probably like them (esp. if they were fresh/hot/right out of the grease)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,406 Captain
    Triguy wrote: »
    You know we used a homemade cocktail sauce and they aren't fishy to me at all, as a matter of fact my wife even said they didn't have a whole lot of flavor out side of the seasoning. Just crunchy little morsels. She asked me if I thought they were good for you and I said oh yea, she then said you would say that about anything from the ocean. I agree

    as long as they were fried crunchy I'd eat them too. Just hadn't thought about it before.
Sign In or Register to comment.