snook and juvi tarpon

got out this morning and noticed some baby tarpon rolling around i finally got my first official tarpon on fly also picked up some small snook as well
fishing094_zps260bc787.jpg
went on to my next spot and tide was still very low, seemed like it was taking forever to come back in so i jumped out and took a few pics
fishing095_zpseec2abc9.jpg
fishing096_zps5d52b203.jpg
fishing098_zpsf9c46976.jpg
fishing100_zpsb9da0d56.jpg
after taking a look at all that i went back the way i came went the long way around and came back in on the other side i was getting some ladyfish, a trout, and a bunch of small snook between 15" and 22" i caught a dozen or so i was either throwing the fly or a weighted hook with a gulp. i ended up hooking a big snook that flat out whooped me. but those are the ones that keep you going back out there
fishing104_zps6644ee9f.jpg
fishing101_zpsac7ef1c4.jpg
fishing102_zps2b6443d7.jpg
fishing103_zpsade1d725.jpg
so i headed back in and seen that the baby tarpon were still there i picked up one more on fly and another on a gulp. the gulps i was using were the 3" natural shrimp and the fly was a white and chartruese clouser. all the tarpon out there were small up to 10lbs. i went 3 for 8 on the tarpon thosa things are a blast to catch
fishing105_zps997e3a35.jpg
fishing106_zps479b38f6.jpg
fishing107_zps38743918.jpg
here some fishing ive been doing the past month
fishing090_zps6081093e.jpg
fishing091_zps3ee2800e.jpg
and my east coast snapper trip no grouper were caught that night so that mutton won the big fish pot
snappers_zps269fe007.jpg

Replies

• deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    those little tarpon on fly are a hoot when you can find them. I was down in that area a few days around last weekend and looked pretty hard for some in the back bays around goodland and choko and couldn't find any, probably didn't get far enough inside.
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Where was this? Back in rookery?
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 497 Deckhand
    South east of goodland in the back bays running the creeks far back until you find dark water with no current at all is where I found the baby tarpon.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,001 Captain
    Great to see those tiny tarps.... Bodes well for the future (of course I'll be long gone before they become big'uns....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • deerflydeerfly Posts: 721 Officer
    nightfly wrote: »
    South east of goodland in the back bays running the creeks far back until you find dark water with no current at all is where I found the baby tarpon.

thx, I thought I'd be able to find a few in the sun warmed back bays, but definitely didn't get up into any black water creeks. It'll be late April before I'm back in your neighborhood again and will be looking for the big'uns Bob is talkin' about. :)
    "impossibility cannot be concluded from a sample of failed efforts" - Edsger W. Dijkstra