catching octopus or squid

Hello Fellow fisherman,
Does anyone know an area in the SW Florida area that we can catch Octopus? How about squid? I love to fish when I'm in Greece during the summers, and often have opportunities to go and catch these there. I would love to try that here too. What about Shrimp? I enjoy the adventure of it all, and you always catch some interesting things while doing that.
I know you can just go to the market or bait store and get these. But, it takes the fun and adventure out of it. Just something else to try.
Any idea where is always appreciated.

GANAK

Replies

• congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Grew up here, never heard of anyone catching one.
  • Tarpon20Tarpon20 Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Squid are very easy to catch at night, spreader lights and a cast net and you are all set. If you are offshore at night fishing a wreck they will show very quick, Ive never got one on a squid jig but plenty in a cast net. I have seen octopus caught on cut bait, but don't think there is a specific way to target them.
  • GANAKGANAK Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Thanks Tarpon20,
    When you throw your casting net for the squid, are you letting it go all the way to the bottom before you close it up? How deep are you when you do?
  • Tarpon20Tarpon20 Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Most of the time we are 45ft plus, but pretty sure they are on the shallow wrecks too. Ive seen plenty of them off the Naples Pier at night in the lights. When you throw the net let it sink 2-3 ft, the squid are right on top so throw it and pull quick as they are fast.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I catch small octi by hand often. Flashlight at night.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I think octi like hard bottom.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GANAKGANAK Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Thanks Tarpon, I never say any at the pier. I'll have to keep my eyes open this winter. I don't think they let you use the casting net there either, right? I think I've seen signs there saying that too.