Firewood???

This will probably generate a few chuckles, but here goes.

I was hoping to have a little campfire in my fire pit at my house in the Keys. I looked on Craigslist for firewood with no luck and am not sure where else to try. I have a few stray palm fronds but not really enough.

Any ideas???

Replies

• big_tbig_t Posts: 588 Officer
    Publix. At least here in Broward county.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,270 Officer
    Come by my house. I just thinned out some of my thorny date palms in my front yard. The six logs are about 3.5 to five feet long and very thorny, but I have removed all of the fronds. They will burn very well since the bases are hard wood. I live in the Redland's. (35 miles from Key Largo).
    Giimoozaabi
  • ParksideParkside Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the offer and the suggestion on the Publix..

I think maybe I will check around the neighborhood and see if I can catch up with a landscaper or two. Like buying by catch from shrimpers I guess..

Next time I am in Publix I will check there too.

Thanks again..
  • kempsharkkempshark Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Home Depot also sells firewood around us.....they sell wood just for fire pits or also wood that can be used for fire pits or smokers (all oak, hickory and sometimes pecan). Don't know if they sell it at the Home Depots down there or not, but I know there are Home Depots (and Publix's) down there.
    Nah.....I'll eat Hellmann's. :wink
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Try bizbaz on the radio. Which Key?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Try bizbaz on the radio. Which Key?

Lots of firewood at the bat house on sugarloaf.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The house is on Plantation Key.. If I get further down towards Sugarloaf I will check that out.

Thanks for the ideas..
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,351 Officer
    Any camp grounds around you may sell it
  • BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Friends dont let friends burn palms... they stank something nasty.
    Yes, Parkside the Publix at Tradewinds plaza (MM101ish) has small cords of hardwood right in the west entrance.

I have a rather nice suply of wild tamarind wood that Issac was kind enough to provide me with this summer- would give you some if we cross paths.
    But if you're on plantation key, you should be able to find some pretty quick. Just drive around some of the more forested neighborhoods (Indian Mound, old hwy, etc) and you'll probably score a few logs.

You do not want:
    Gumbo Limbo
    Poisonwood
    Jamaican Dogwood
    any type of Palm

You do want:
    Mahogany
    Buttonwood
    Wild Tamarind
    Seagrape and/or Pigeon Plum
    Casurina (Australian Pine)

Any of the listed desirable hardwoods are also good for cooking/grilling/smoking with as well... put that in your grill and smoke it:wink
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 854 Officer
    remember,,most free wood will not burn
    wet
    Thanks very much for the advice on the species. As you can tell by my naïveté in the phrasing of the question, I don't really have a clue about this stuff.

I did split 5 face cords of mixed maple/ash/**** this summer and have that stashed in my woodshed 1600 miles away to dry but all these southern/tropical species are a mystery.

Thanks again for the help.