Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bait?

Going to fish tomorrow out of the port for the first time since august, not sure what bait to look for or whats baits even available...any word would help, thanks!
Follow me on instagram @capt_askey for frequent pictures of my fishing adventures! Sailfish Alley Outfitters Sponsored team member.

Replies

• mako221mako221 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Going to fish tomorrow out of the port for the first time since august, not sure what bait to look for or whats baits even available...any word would help, thanks!

I fish out of Port Canaveral all the time my favorite baits are Scads, Cigar Minnows or Tinker Mackeral all of which can be hard to come by this time of year most of the wrecks in 50 to a 100ft of water hold good baits use a #6 or smaller sabiki to catch them. What is easy to get this time of year is Pinfish they work well for most bottom species cobia and amberjack you can catch them all around the port or by the Banana River Bridge but they wont bite well till the sun comes up. Good Luck
  • captrandycaptrandy Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Big (turbos) pogies 3 miles out in the bight yesterday.
    Bad Fish Must Die!!
  • dble-downdble-down Posts: 518 Officer
    Pogies, did you know some people eat these fish?? Especially in the NE Florida area. I thought they were strictly bait but people actually target them up there for leaving purposes.
  • captrandycaptrandy Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Pogies or porgies? Menhaden (pogies) would be tough to swallow, but porgies (sheepshead, choco chips, red porgies, etc...) are very good on the table. I've never heard of a human eating menhaden. But then again...
    Bad Fish Must Die!!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    But then again...sardines, in tomato or mustard sauce. Squid aka calamari. AND a big time bait and favorite human delacacy SHRIMP! I'm sure there are many more too.
    Pogies? Hmmm, that would take some serious hot sauce and at least a six pack or more ( in advance).
  • dble-downdble-down Posts: 518 Officer
    I guess I knew about pogies, I thought porgies were the same thing, different spelling. They are probably fishing for and eating the red porgies up in Jacksonville.