Ozello: Saturday. July 30, 2011

The air temperature was seventy-eight degrees before daylight. The surface water temperature ranged ffrom 84 - 88 degrees. Very little wind and no clouds in the sky. Rain prediction 50% chance; up from earlier predictions.

At the ramp there was another kayaker unloading his kayak. He parked his kayak trailer parallel to the shore leaving very little room to launch my kayak without out blocking him in. Oh, well. Considering the popularity of this ramp with kayaks, it would be better planning to back the trailer to the launch area leaving more room for other kayaks to unload. Either way, I did okay.

The falling tide pushed the kayak along easily. At the last house at sunrise, I started a drift with the kayak. Third cast my first hook up with a short spotted seat trout on a MirrorDine in about three feet of water! Catching something that early is not a good sign. It means I’m too late for the bite.

Considering I was in the mood for exploring, I paddled on the east side of the island. Great looking areas, rocks, oysters, grass, shallow and deep areas, fish breaking water, awesome. This general area is where I had two good hits from what I believed to be redfish. I think I was daydreaming. Didn’t set the hook well and they got away!
I drifted for a bit and decided to head over to an island of what I believe is named “Chair Island”. I decided I needed a stretch. The island has a sloped bank of rock and shale, a bit hard on the kayak bottom. A few seconds upon beaching, it became obvious it was not a good idea, SKEETERS!!! BIG ONES, at least nine pointers! Quick stretch and back on the water, where they didn’t follow.

A fish tried to hit my top water lure, five times before it was next to the kayak. Still didn’t hook up! I love fishing a top water lure. I tried letting the lure sit for a second, it hit at it, no connection. Tried keeping it moving, it hit at it, still no connection.
Whatever it was, it wouldn’t come next to the kayak so I could identify it! My guess, it was a spotted seatrout.

I saw plenty of bait fish and mullet in the shallow water. The usual bunches of coastal birds. The ospreys were having better luck fishing than I. I saw more sea turtles than I have in a long time. Over the few hours I saw six turtles! Of course, two porpoises passed by as if to say hello.

When it was time to head back to the ramp, the wind out of the west and the rising tide was very cooperative making it an easy paddle.

I arrived back at the ramp at about 1:00 pm. Overall, it was HOT, VERY HOT!!! Two twelve ounce bottles of water and a 20 ounce G2 was not enough for good hydration!!!! Needed more! However, a great day in all!

Halon

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    It is hot out there for sure and makes for some tough fishing...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Redbonz wrote: »
    It is hot out there for sure and makes for some tough fishing...
    Couldn`t have said it better:thumbsup
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    It was HOT yesterday, I drank about 4 bottles of water and three large bottles of Powerade..... Sounds like you might need to down size your topwater lure and see if that makes a difference. I was always using the 11S skitterwalks and have recently gone to the 8S and I think I get more hook ups with it. I know a lot of guys walk the dog with there TW lures but try S-L-O-W and let that sucker sit for seconds at a time. 90% of my strikes come when it's sitting still.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Great report as always. We worked that area (or near by) twice last week and the fish seemed to have lock jaw over there. I would love to know what the disolved oxy content is there. My guess would be it is way low until well into the flood tide.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Good job getting out on the water in the heat.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • YackedupYackedup Posts: 149 Deckhand
    :bangheadMe and a buddy fished there today with about the same luck. We got some cat fish one on the fly rod. And my buddy lost a good red right at the yak on a DOA. tough fishind for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,478 Officer
    Good day on the water. The fall rush is right around the corner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,036 Captain
    thanks for the report, it's crazy how those fish miss the hooks so often on topwater