Home General Hunting

Missouri Public Land

omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
Any of you traveling hunters have any thoughts on areas of Missouri to check out for public land hunting? My father-in-law keeps dropping hints about wanting to go there to hunt so I figured I'd do the leg-work.

I've been reading a bunch on the Missouri Conservation Department website on the MANY public land opportunities and it's almost overwhelming the amount of public land areas they have available.

I'm looking for areas of Missouri and not so much for specific CA's (equate that to stating which WMA you killed a 130" buck on here in FL :nono) or specific spots in a CA to hunt. If you are going to share more, please PM me.Otherwise, just areas of Missouri to check is really all I'm looking for.

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,873 Admiral
    Of what value this will be I don't know but a couple of years ago Louann and I stopped in Scott's Bluff on the way back from chasing pheasants in South Dakota and spent a couple of days banging at ducks in the flood plain of the Platt River. Only hunted ducks in the morning so we had time to walk about a lot and to also spend the late afternoons chasing coyotes.

What struck us was that the deer we kicked out of the grass along the river while wandering about in the afternoon, which were whitetails, were about as big as the mule deer we'd had bust out of draws and field edges in South Dakota. These things made the ground shake when the galloped off if you were close enough.

Don't know what was available in public land in that area but the deer were awsome..............
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    I've hunted Mo for about 18 years. Only been in a few of their WMA's. They're like publid land everywhere else,archery is ok gun is overcrowded unless you draw one of their special hunts. If you have a little cash or a few friends check out hunting lease network,it's a place where you can bid on a lease for the season.For a a few grand you can experience some of the best hunting you'll prolly ever have. It's mostly farms in rural areas. My buddy's killed 3 giants last year withou ever even scouting. There's no guides or outfitters,you lease the land and your on your own. Good luck
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,642 AG
    Don't rule out Ft Campbell KY.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Bowd upBowd up Posts: 1,115 Officer
    like micci said-- try w Ky. It will save you a couple hrs drive . Fort campbell, Pennyrile forest .
    Fort campbell has archery only areas. season starts first weekend of sept . also on the normal fortcampbell areas, you can use a muzz or shotgun -ON OPENING DAY OF BOW on thru the season.They also have cabins and plenty of nearby hotels.

I have a spot or 2 on my S.Indiana lease --675$ on the edge of Hoosier nat forest. yr round lease.
    ]
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,642 AG
    Another thing about Ky is eventhough you can only kill 1 buck on private land per season you can really kill 3. 1 on private, 1 on Ft Campbell and 1 on Land Between the Lakes and All with the same license. This is what my boss does every yr but he doesn't hunt private land, only Ft C and LBL.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • floridacrackrfloridacrackr Posts: 603 Officer
    Here is the Pennyrile Buck...I stayed here for 3 months back in "09 cleaning up after their icestorm. Beautiful park with nice accomadations on a big lake. It's in Christian County, home of the Knight and Hale boys. I watched a 170 class buck every morning in a small bean field on the side of the interstate for 2 months. They have some "Big" deer up there!

http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=612&NavPath=C100C366
    micci_man wrote: »
    Another thing about Ky is eventhough you can only kill 1 buck on private land per season you can really kill 3. 1 on private, 1 on Ft Campbell and 1 on Land Between the Lakes and All with the same license. This is what my boss does every yr but he doesn't hunt private land, only Ft C and LBL.

LBL is quota isnt it?
    We killed a 174' 15 pt on one of my old farms that the back property line was Ft. Campbell and the deer came from the fort on to our farm.Drove in during gun to look at the archery only areas on the north end and we looked down a fire trail from the truck and saw 2 nontyps together ,that would go over 200' walking away from us at 40 yrds and never even looked our way.unfortunately we were still in the no hunting area a 1/2 mile from bow area on the main rd.. Crazy.
    the wall of shame(confiscated poached bucks) in the check in station are incredible as well.
    sure was freaky that first yr on that farm opening day of bow season and soon as daylight hit--boom booom boom gun shots everywhere behind us. had no idea they could use guns that early in there.Pretty unique.

flacrker-- knight and hale are from Trigg co. next door in Cadiz.but they do have a farm or 2 in christian.

Missouri has a lot of national forest in southeast part(closest drive) but for the bigger average on Rack size, north east Missouri is the best but its mostly farmland /private in that area. We hunted in clark co on the Iowa line one yr Saw a 190 perfect 10 typical on a tailgte that ended up in northamerican whitetail mag. .the small towns around us literally shut off the lights at dark. everyone drinks and you can buy a pint of liquor at ANY store. gas stations didnt even sell cokes , but had a pint rack.a different world around there. also dont slow down going thru St.louis and god dont get off on an exit there. They will steal the hubcaps off your car if you do under 30mph..
    ]
  • floridacrackrfloridacrackr Posts: 603 Officer
    My bad...your right about them being from Trigg. I turkey hunted one of their farms in Christian just south of the Pennyrile. Beautiful piece of property!
    yep, i had a farm North of hopkinsville ,that they hunted before i got it. I hooked up with a farmer and had 13 farms at once. it was a take them all or get none deal. One of them was 253ac that K&H had for a few years. We killed several over 150 . 3 bucks a yr over 140 avg . It was incredible. I about cried when they sold it. I actually went to the auction with the farmer trying to get another farm around the corner that would have made losing this one no big deal.
    Thing is the Amish are heavy thru there . and they will pay 10x what a piece is worth as long as it touches what they already have or is walking or biking distance . Unfortunatly for me this place was surrounded by them.
    after first 10 mins of the auction, all the non amish guys were out of it. 3 different amish families went nuts driving the bidding up.
    they will throw the whole families money together, cousins, grandparents, kids , all there money together to do what it takes to get the farm they want. they ended up with both of these.
    and they hunt brown its down and dont really care about limits. but AMish gotta eat too i guess.
    ]