Home Boating

Marine Engine Maintenance Course Starts Aug. 16/18 in Palm Beach County

bmarkeybmarkey Posts: 319 Deckhand
For anyone out there who wants to learn more about their marine engine, boat and trailer, or would like to learn how to perform many maintenance and repair chores, I recommend the Marine Outboard Engine Maintenance adult-ed course at South Tech Academy, beginning Aug. 16 or Aug. 18.

http://southtechacademy.com/portal/content/uploads/2011/07/2011_07_19_09_35_20.pdf

The Palm Beach County public school is off Congress Avenue near I-95 in Boynton Beach.

I plan to take the class again to become comfortable with certain jobs. I will bring my 19-foot center console boat and the class will work on it, as well as several other boats belonging to students. The last time, we replaced my water pump/impeller, tuned up the engine, resolved a water-fuel issue, rebuilt the carbs, worked on the trailer (hubs, lights, etc.), changed out another student's rebuilt engines, cleaned out and got running a student's 7.5 hp outboard, fixed another guy's carb and timing issue and much more - all for the cost of parts.

The class is once a week (Tuesday or Thursday) from 6 to 9 p.m. for 13 weeks. Cost is $140. Instructor is Brett Hand, who always starts with an overview of the types of marine engines and how they operate; shows how to check for spark, compression, fuel issues, etc.

The shop is well equipped, as it is used in the daytime for the school's high school marine education program.

Even if you have a motor issue that you want to get fixed, it's well worth the cost and time to attend. I can now work on my boat and get it running again in many instances. It was probably the best $140 I ever spent.

Bob Markey
United Realty Group
www.WellingtonHomes.com
Sport, Event & Real Estate Photography
Palms West Photo
www.MarkeySportsPhoto.com

Replies

• GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,905 Admin
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • bmarkeybmarkey Posts: 319 Deckhand
    I drive from RPB. It's not too far. I'm sure similar courses are offered at other community adult-ed courses throughout the state.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
    The course starts in around a week. Call to sign up, or take your chances and just show up the first night. Sometimes, only one of the two planned courses are held, so it's best to call for information.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
    The course has been combined into one day, Thursday, from 6 to 9 p.m. starting Thursday, Aug. 18, and ending on Nov. 13. Cost is $140. Sign-ups are permitted on the first night.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
  • mtfreezermtfreezer Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Know of anything in Broward?
    Check with your Broward County school district adult education department, but southern Boynton Beach is pretty close to north Broward.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
    Broward does not appear to have such a course, but call to make sure.
    http://www.browardcommunityschools.com/home.aspx

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
  • ShottShott Posts: 203 Officer
    Signed up.ee you tomorrow.
    I received a text from Brett today and he said there is room for more people to sign up at South Tech at the class tomorrow.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    BM when is the next class being offered? I'm all thumbs, would this be a good class for a beginner? Thanks for the information.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • ShottShott Posts: 203 Officer
    fishknut wrote: »
    BM when is the next class being offered? I'm all thumbs, would this be a good class for a beginner? Thanks for the information.

It better be.
    Shott wrote: »
    It better be.

Shott let me know what you think of the class, thanks
    The class started tonight, but it was pretty much just an introduction about the types of marine engines and their basic parts and functions. The work starts next week with compression checks, spark checks and trouble shooting. Then it's all about what the class wants to do.

There are at least four members who will be bringing their boats for work ranging from basic service to carb rebuilds, lower unit work, water pumps, a gas tank pressure test, plugs, fuel pump issues, etc. In this class, you can stay basic or go as deep as you want.

You can probably still join the class, which continues at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25. I think the next class starts in January.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
    Thanks Bm, I'll check into the January class
    I contacted the Broward school district about marine classes and received the following response:
    "Community School's do not offer Marine Repair. Try the Technical Center's here are their phone numbers: Atlantic 754-321-5100, McFatter 754-321-5700 and Sheridan 754-321-5400."

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
  • DunkDunk Posts: 107 Officer
    bmarkey wrote: »
    For anyone out there who wants to learn more about their marine engine, boat and trailer, or would like to learn how to perform many maintenance and repair chores, I recommend the Marine Outboard Engine Maintenance adult-ed course at South Tech Academy, beginning Aug. 16 or Aug. 18.

http://southtechacademy.com/portal/content/uploads/2011/07/2011_07_19_09_35_20.pdf

The Palm Beach County public school is off Congress Avenue near I-95 in Boynton Beach.

I plan to take the class again to become comfortable with certain jobs. I will bring my 19-foot center console boat and the class will work on it, as well as several other boats belonging to students. The last time, we replaced my water pump/impeller, tuned up the engine, resolved a water-fuel issue, rebuilt the carbs, worked on the trailer (hubs, lights, etc.), changed out another student's rebuilt engines, cleaned out and got running a student's 7.5 hp outboard, fixed another guy's carb and timing issue and much more - all for the cost of parts.

The class is once a week (Tuesday or Thursday) from 6 to 9 p.m. for 13 weeks. Cost is $140. Instructor is Brett Hand, who always starts with an overview of the types of marine engines and how they operate; shows how to check for spark, compression, fuel issues, etc.

The shop is well equipped, as it is used in the daytime for the school's high school marine education program.

Even if you have a motor issue that you want to get fixed, it's well worth the cost and time to attend. I can now work on my boat and get it running again in many instances. It was probably the best $140 I ever spent.

Interesting, I put this out this page 5-6 yrs ago about doing an 8hr seminar up here. I have guys hounding me to death up here to do it. Then I was threatened by several big marinas in NJ that if I did this they wouldn't let me on their property to do Marine Surveys... Claimed i was stealing their biz/work.. But what's really funny is some marinas offered me their shops in the winter. Knowing they will have 10-15 boaters on their property, possible sales..

But I'm talking 6-10 guys and not trying to repair everyones boat that in the class. I'm still thinking about doing it this year once winterizing season starts in November. I'm considering doing it in my own shop behind my house to start.. I've got a little 14 x 28' shed that's easy to heat. I'll have my boat here to show guys how things should be done. There's an awlful lot you can cover in 8hrs then walk away with everything you cover and don't on a DVD. If it runs over a couple hrs who cares. Not to mention bring your own digital camera and shoot your own pic's and video's of what is being done. Winter time class's I can have a local(laid off) outboard tech come in and show everyone how to do a water pump, tstats and a popet valve. Throw him a couple 100 bucks.. Guy's that don't need to watch that I'll be with talking other things. 180 bucks with coffee all day, donuts and lunch. Couple cases of soda on ice.

But what I mentioned once I had the course setup and organized(DVD) was to take the show on the road to FL in the winter time. Grab conference rooms at hotels around the state and do Sat/Sun seminars. I have taught before. I can stuff quite a bit of info down 10-15 guy's throat's in 8hrs if they pay attention. Well, first thing I would do is have everyone sit down and write down 10-12 different things they wanted covered. Then one thing leads to another and eventually the whole boat get's covered. What's the point of showing the class how to change gearcase lube if everyone there already knows how? It turns into a bull session with everyone going back and forth because there will be 10 different levels of boating knowledge in the room. If you don't get it Sat come back Sun..
    Marine Surveyor
    Good idea. Do it.

The Palm Beach County class starts out with an overview of engine and drive types, compression, spark, etc., then tends to focus on what the students want covered. It is usually based on the boats they bring and what those boats need, but usually includes major service items including water pumps, tune-ups, carb rebuilds, fuel system issues, etc. It's well, well worth the $140 (for 13 classes).

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo
    Tahnks for checking. I've checked everywhere. Hard to believe someone doesn't offer it. Power squadron says maybe in December in Pompano.
    All the tech schools around here offer it full time only during business hours .
  • DunkDunk Posts: 107 Officer
    mtfreezer wrote: »
    All the tech schools around here offer it full time only during business hours .

That's what I was thinking when Bob mentioned 13 weeks. Even at night....13 weeks. Do you want to become outboard mech's or just learn some basic crap so you are not running to a marina every time something needs done.

In fact I'm having a hard time understanding a bunch of guys showing up with their boats with problems. One wreck could show up and eat up 6-7 weeks with problems most of the class can't handle or are not interested in. I mean it sounds like a great idea, but I don't see how it can work. I'd love to hear back from 6-8 guys who have sat thru 13 weeks.
    Marine Surveyor
    This is my second time in the class. I think there are eight embers and maybe four have boats. They have been brining them in each week. The instructor, Brett Hand, focuses on basics such as compression check, spark test, carb rebuilds, lower unit checks and water pumps/impellers, etc., using the members' boats. Engines range from a 7.5 or so to a 250.

One guy brought in his seized engine and some of the guys are soaking and beating the hell out of it to get a piston out. The instructor has advised him the fix for this engine will be very expensive in parts (and he would be better off picking up a used engine), but the owner is chugging away, any how.

On my Johnson 115, we checked compression (120/120/115/115) and spark (O.K.), then took apart and checked the carbs (I had recently cleaned them out and replaced all four bowls). It wouldn't run well, even on a 6-galon tank of non-ethanol, so he had me removed the fuel bracket and check/clean the VST tank, then we all learned the hard way - using a Johnson book, where all the electrical, vacuum, oil and gas hoses went. I then added new, proper marine spark plugs (to replace the wrong ones West Marine sold me more than a year ago).

All back together, the engine cranked right up and ran well. I did get a "no oil" alarm after 10 minutes or so (went away after I pumped the already firm oil tank bulb), but the oil tank is full and the engine was smoking. So, I am not sure whether I still have a fuel pump problem (causing improper mix), the oil was not flowing properly into the just-replaced and rebuilt pump, the sensor in the oil tank is going, or something else is wrong.

I hope to water test it this weekend and my fingers are crossed.

Toward the end of the course, the class tends to run out of projects and some members stop coming after their boats are fixed (their loss). So, some students even bring friends' and family members' in, or the class works on trailer, bilge pump ad other smaller issues. There are also school engines there to learn on.

It's well, well worth $140 - even just to allow a student to do some of his own maintenance, understand the workings of his engine, or just to feel comfortable when little things go wrong.

Bob Markey
    United Realty Group
    www.WellingtonHomes.com
    Palms West Photo