Wife broke the skeg bigtime. Need help!

The wife decided to pull the boat out of the back yard while I was at work, even though I specifically asked her to wait until I got home:huh. She had good intentions as she wanted to have everything ready to go when I got home. We're in a new house and it's trickier to get in and out than where we used to live. Well she snapped off the skeg, broke two blades off the prop, and bent the steering shaft. I can fix everything but the skeg. Can anyone recommend a place to get it fixed in New Smyrna, Edgewater area? Any help is appreciated.
Sailfish 236cc Yamaha 225 OX66 -sold
Boston Whaler 21' Outrage Yamaha 200OX66 -sold
16' G3 w/40hp Yamaha
'07 Dodge 5.9 HO CTD 4x4, looking for a 28cc to tow.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,738 AG
    You make me glad my wife knows nothing about my boat and trailer and would never even attempt to do anything like that....

Sorry....you need a good aluminum welder...make that a VERY GOOD aluminum welder...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • mango mikemango mike Posts: 236 Deckhand
    halls propellor in christmas fla. he did one for me and you cant even tell it was done. highly recommended for prop work too. mike is awesome , realllly does excellent work. if you pull the lower unit it wont cost as much . and he has lots of props in stock too. sorry for the misfortune , at least she was trying to help.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,411 Captain
    I'm pretty sure you'll win some major points by telling her to not feel bad about it...
  • holymackerelholymackerel Posts: 232 Officer
    halls is on hy50 rehubbed my prop before very nice people lots referral for them.
    mango mike wrote: »
    halls propellor in christmas fla. he did one for me and you cant even tell it was done. highly recommended for prop work too. mike is awesome , realllly does excellent work. if you pull the lower unit it wont cost as much . and he has lots of props in stock too. sorry for the misfortune , at least she was trying to help.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    These guys are fantastic, ask for Larry Hogan.... They've done two skegs for me and they do it RIGHT.... http://hoganbrotherssales.com/welding.html
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 158 Deckhand
    SURE SHE did, lol
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 35 Deckhand
    GotTarpon wrote: »
    SURE SHE did, lol

LOL, I actually would rather it had been me that did it. She feels pretty bad about it. Thanks for the help eveyone.
    16' G3 w/40hp Yamaha
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    If she hit something hard enough to do all that damage, what makes you think the shaft hasn't been bent?
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,820 Moderator
    If she hit something hard enough to do all that damage, what makes you think the shaft hasn't been bent?

I was thinking the samething.
    smilie_dance.gif
    I was thinking the samething.

I hope it's not. I rotated the prop and it spun free and smooth and there are no fluid leaks.
    16' G3 w/40hp Yamaha
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 899 Officer
    I have been using one of these for the past year and a half since mine got busted off: http://www.keelguard.com/skegguard.html
    Didn't have to take the chance of someone heating up the LU and ruining seals during welding.
    I paid about $100 and it looks the same as the day I put it on. Just a thought/option.
    I have been using one of these for the past year and a half since mine got busted off: http://www.keelguard.com/skegguard.html
    Didn't have to take the chance of someone heating up the LU and ruining seals during welding.
    I paid about $100 and it looks the same as the day I put it on. Just a thought/option.

I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks
    16' G3 w/40hp Yamaha
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 899 Officer
    Before
    skeg1.jpg

After
    skeg2.jpg