Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Getting ready for Xmas trip to South Fl

Gonna take the boat with me to Palm Beach for Christmas... Hoping for a weather window to go to West End for Wahoo and try to get a few days in Marathon for bugs... Will update upon return. Cross the collective fingers as I hate towing that far!:fishing:driver::fishing:driver::cool:
:fishing:grin

Replies

• ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,668 Captain
    Good luck and tight lines
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    have a great safe trip!
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Sounds like a fun trip.....be safe!
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    Now that's what I call a great Christmas! Be safe & good luck......look forward to hearing the catch report upon your return.

Livin' the Dream !
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Hey Crcattypc,
    If you do not mind driving at night with the boat in tow, then leave about 3 in the evening and you will miss most of the traffic. You may get to West Palm about midnight but you will not have a whole lot of traffic. Just got back from Miami and it was a nice ride when I left here at that time. The normal hot spots were not that bad and when I hit Miami there was nobody on the road.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Made it down saturday with no problems... have had a bunch of family things to do but finally got out today with my buddy Tandy in Stuart. Wind was blowing kinda hard offshore, and we only got a skipjack tuna out in about 130 in front of Pt. St. Lucie inlet. Came in to spot nearshore which is notorios for the largest spanish on the planet :) Played with them and Tandy got a very nice pompano to add to the fun. The best part was running his new boat all day. Here is a pic of the new Sea Vee... well 2001 hull and 2007 300 suzuki's. Love this boat. Wish it was ,mine, but for the gas bill :) No wahoo run this Christmas... oh well maybe next time!
    photo-41_zps69316944.jpg

photo-39_zpsc373ecb6.jpg

We are leaving for the keys tomorroww and hopefully will get 2 days of lobster fun. Weather could be dicey, but we have the proverbial fingers crossed.
  • diverritediverrite Posts: 167 Deckhand
    keep us posted, so we can dream
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Diverrite aboard "Step Into Liquid"
    Just got back home last night... shocking to go from 70 degrees to 40 in one day of driving. The towing of the boat across the state went off without a problem. The boat also ran well the whole time. Preparation was the key. As for the take. We got down to Marathon and stayed 2 nights on Wednesday and Thursday of last week prior to xmas. The weather was pretty good but not perfect. The bugs were non-exsistant! We only brought 5 home with us. The commercial guys were saying it was the worst year for lobster and stone crabs in 35 years. I dove the whole 1st day without seeing one lobster. We hit some very productive spots and no one home! It was still nice to be in the keys, and Courtney got her personal best. So it was quality over quantity.
    photo-45_zps8bd025e8.jpg
    our little ride at the Blackfin marina
    photo-48_zpsecf2fbe7.jpg
    Court's personal best
    photo-49_zpsd7575ae2-1_zpsd4364296.jpg
    Best two

Gotta love December in the Keys!
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,039 Captain
    Nice bugs! Back in the day (1980's) I had a saltwater products license with a Crawfish permit, and we found most of the lobster usually walked out of the bay when the cold fronts started moving through the bay. I guess they migrate to deeper water.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    We tested that theory last december Klinger... we killed em last year at the same time of year and the water was about 72 last december. This year, the H20 was 77/78. They had not yet gotten the cold front. The day we left, the wind started blowing from the N and the temp cooled way down. We heard other people saying the same thing, but I just think the #'s are way down. Who knows. Funny thing was that while everyone was complaining that the stone crabs were terrible in the keys, they were all over Palm Beach County. Saw them for sale in Jupiter for $8 a pound??? Really weird!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Nice trip!

I'm past due my Choko fix.