Insulate and ac garage

hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer
Anyone insulated their garage and door then added an ac?
Tired of not being able to do anything in garage come afternoon
Faces west and gets unbearable

See they sell door kits which looks easy, wonder how well they work though
Also thinking to use standalone ac unit

Replies

• flats_rockflats_rock Posts: 77 Deckhand
    King googlehead will know...He's is all knowing.
  • hebegbhebegb Posts: 8,722 Officer
    I anxiously await his toogelosity
  • flats_rockflats_rock Posts: 77 Deckhand
    I didn't say he was playing with himself.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    5 car garage worth. 2.5ton AC wouldn't keep it below 85 but would break the bank trying. Only has a single garage door size entrance with thin insulation. I planned on putting thicker foam on the door but it's a relatively small surface area. The ceiling is thinly insulated.
    IMAGE_702.jpg
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    just turn on one of those movable units on wheels when you're in there.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    The portable one would be like bailing the ocean with a spoon

It is bloody well a furnace in the afternoon

Also, anyone done the bronze looking solar screens?
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,530 Captain
    Insulated door,extra over garage,Put a drop in from house system works great.Rod wrapping station
    [IMG]http://[/img]c4f1ef8c-orig.jpgc4f1ef8c-orig.jpg
    6dfd12fe-orig.jpg
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,856 Admin
    I can notice a difference just with the insulated door installed 10 years ago.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    and install a toilet so you don't pee yourself.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    and install a toilet so you don't pee yourself.

HA, your partner is not impressed with your flower arranging skillz
    Please go back and get your rocks off, then rearrange yer panzies
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    hebegb wrote: »
    The portable one would be like bailing the ocean with a spoon

It is bloody well a furnace in the afternoon

Also, anyone done the bronze looking solar screens?
    Check them out. I use a 1 ton from Home Depot that does pretty well for my corner. Hell get 2 of them if you want, still less than a big one.
    You can get them to several tons. I wish I had one with the output flexible ducts instead of just the vents but it works.
    I had a window unit in my old house's one car garage and it did okay too.

When Polar gets me a price I'm moving my 5 ton unit to cover the garage.. I'll make it a freezer if I want.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,997 Captain
    I did it 4 years ago for two years at our old house. Did the door and ceiling with extra layer. Left block wals alone, and the one against the living room was insulated. This was one of the small garages in the st. lucie area "called" a 2 car, if smart cars i guess. Then I bought a good roll away at a yard sale, great deal on a 500 until for 50 bucks. That was really lucky. Did cut a hole in door to exhaust. It all worked good and room temp at 76 could be maintained anytime of the day, except for June, July, August, then it would maintain 83 or so.....
  • CoxsterCoxster Posts: 3,086 Captain
    I want to finish the room over our garage, but so far, when it hasn't been too hot to work up there, I have been in the position to buy all the materials. I had hoped to have it done by football season, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen, dadlemit.