Grandslammin sunday half day trip

Had a great couple from Colorado on their honeymoon book a trip for sunday 12/9/12. Started out pitching topwaters for tarpon around 8am. Spent about an hour and a half goin 3 for 1 on juvies around 20lb.s. elsee jumped 2 landed 1 and Ryan was 0 for 1. It got real slow and they were looking pretty comfy with the equiptment and casting well so we moved on out and netted some pilchards. With the live well full I headed a bit south then hit 2 coves picking up a couple nice reds and smaller snook biggest being about 20". So Elsee needed a trout and Ryan needed a trout and a Tarpon. I was thinking no problem she'll get hers and he's out of it do to no **** under his belt. From there we headed through some creeks and passes and ended up way back. In this spot we started out lookibg for trout. Right away they start biting Ryan ended up catching four all over 20". Elsee had some difficulty gettin bit but did manage to lose 2. The trout quit biting so we focused on snook and reds in that same spot. The snook action was insane about 30 caught all pretty small and they each pulled out a fat red and lost some real nice fish. So now Ryan had his slam and Elsee still needed her trout. So I went to a specific big trout spot and none there to play but she did pull out the biggest snook of the day that took a team effort and wemt about 36". It was almost 1:00 and I had friends meeting me at the dock at 1 to head out to Stans for some RnR so I headed in. As were idling back I saw tarpon around and figured lets see if we can get a **** to eat a pilchard as Ryan repeatedly reminded me he only needed one for his grandslam. 10 min.s After chumming up it was Tarpon on around 40# Ryan did an awesome job focusing and followed instruction bowing right on cue for every jump. After that the dudes adrenaline was off the charts he was still fired up till the time the drove away. well that double grandslam has eluded me again and its gettin pretty frusterating seeing that its been near misses by one fish since the last one a few months ago. I am very grateful however for the fish cooperating as well as they have been for my half day trips. I have a full day sat. With two enthusiastic dudes so Im expecting the streak will be broken this weekend. Tear em up
Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com

Replies

• Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 437 Deckhand
    e7uvunu3.jpg

southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,663 Captain
    Great job Capt.Nice fishing outfits.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    I think it's kinda cool. Might try it myself.
  • DownSouthChartersDownSouthCharters Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Great job, Joe! Keep up the hard work!
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    Nice fishing outfits.

That's what I was thinking as well! I have some short sleeves shirts almost like that, but I would be out of luck on the hat.................
    P1000022_2.jpg
    I Had a great time fishing with this couple and happy to now call them my friends. They are very accomplished and very interesting people. Looking forward to their next trip. Thanks everyone who left encouraging replies. Tear em up!

• SaltwataSlaughtaSaltwataSlaughta Posts: 187 Officer
    Poons been fairly easy to find?
    Slaughta, There not exactly all over but have been pretty cooperative and predictable in the right places
  • SaltwataSlaughtaSaltwataSlaughta Posts: 187 Officer
    I guess the right places would be the key haha. Made my first trip to the 10k this week and didn't find any in the typical areas I find them this time of year on the east coast rivers.
    To answer that question, I have been getting a few that are really gold in color