Suwannee Offshore 12-8-12

Joining me was neighbor and good friend Dave Perry on a trip offshore Saturday to take advantage of a good bite and forecasted 10 knot or less winds and 2 foot or less waves. Well at least they got the wind sort of right:banghead Heading out it was heavy fog and 2 to 3's with mainly the "3" part so will was rough to go out and tough to anchor up. We fished several spots in 60 foot and finally at noon the group started to hit. Our luck changed with this little guy deciding he wanted a piece of squid and came up to see us:

offshorebag12-8-12004.jpg

Me getting a close up of Octopussy:grin:

Meandoctopussycloseup.jpg

Few minutes later on a piece of the aforementioned vistor Dave scored on this 25 inch fire truck:

Daveand25inchRG.jpg

Dave was the hot hand with the Group this day, this nice Gag came up to visit on a piece of salted Threadfin (Herring Jerky):

DaveandGag.jpg

Day was a Grouper focus so the little guy bag was small but we could have brought home three times this number, I have a church fish fly next month so I will need to start keeping some more:

offshorebag12-8-12007.jpg

I love this shot, this RG is a pig! :wink

offshorebag12-8-12008.jpg

Bait of the day was Octopus and Herring Jerky. Sharks were manageable, I did have two rigs messed up but nothing like earlier in the week. Flying teeth was not as bad but bad enough at the dock. On the conditions, it finally did calm down around 3 and the run in was manageable, by the time we got to 10 miles out it was calm, at 5 miles slick calm.

Only saw four boats all day on the water, did see a few inshore guys in the river but everyone is saying the trout are out of the creeks and back in the GOM.

A week away on business for me and then this coming weekend I am putting together our outdoor stage for a Christmas Eve service so not sure I will be on the water for at least a week...:mad Hope somebody is getting lines wet!

CT

Replies

• angler18angler18 Captain Posts: 2,037 Captain
    some very nice fish guys, I heard the octopus made great grouper bait.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Captain Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,479 Captain
    The stone crabbers say that they're a lot of octopus out there this year. We haven't boated any so far, but I had a couple of "hanger ons" that I thought were octopus. Red grouper love them for bait. The grunts can't take octopus off the hook very easily, so you will do well with the grouper if you can save a bunch of them for bait.
  • PONCEPONCE Officer Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice haul boys :applause
  • ripnlipsripnlips Captain Posts: 2,535 Captain
  • m9000m9000 Captain Posts: 2,055 Captain
    Glad somebody is getting out and catching fish!
  • troutman57troutman57 Captain Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Nice Box-O-Fish! That is a fine red grouper
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Chesapeake trollerChesapeake troller Greenhorn Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    The stone crabbers say that they're a lot of octopus out there this year. We haven't boated any so far, but I had a couple of "hanger ons" that I thought were octopus. Red grouper love them for bait. The grunts can't take octopus off the hook very easily, so you will do well with the grouper if you can save a bunch of them for bait.

So guys here is a big bend question; can we buy Octopus for bait anywhere around here? If you get it frozen is it still as tough on the hook? Doc you are right, put a piece on and it stays on for a long time, the little nibblers could not take it off.

Thanks,

CT
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Captain Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,828 Captain
    Hell I love eatin O~****!!! If you get some Doc and don't use them up fer bait, save em fer me!!!! The fresher the better w/ O~****, those store bought frozen ones can't compare to fresh!!
    Oh Great job on that SLOB R/G C/T and those grunts are almost as good eatin as the O~****!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • canoemastercanoemaster Greenhorn Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Nice Red Grouper! You should get some nice fillets off of that one! I would have kept some of the calamari for a side dish.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Captain Posts: 4,538 Captain
    It does make some great Grouper bait......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • huntentailshuntentails Captain Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Dinner soon to be served
    :beer:hungry
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
    I don't know any place that has frozen octopus. But I'm trying to get a line on giant squid wings. Only commercial bait houses have the stuff and most don't sell retail. I'm going to try and get one of the local bait shops to special order some. They come in 22 lb packages mostly.

Cephalopods are cephalopods to grouper. Salted squid wing strips are even tougher than fresh octopus.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Captain Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,828 Captain
    I saw a program on TV about fishing for the "Red Devil" squid off the coast of I think Venezuela> {I think?} where these small boats go out at night and handline these things in. They are up to like 6~7' long and very scary looking. The narrator said that they were being way over fished and the Government wasn't doing anything about these guys killing all these really cool animals!!! They were boxing them up and shipping them out to places unknown!! Hope they are not the ones your gonna use fer bait Doc???
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 9,993 Moderator
    Nice catch. Load up those grunts for the fish fry and no one will be disappointed.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BillyBilly Captain ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,706 Captain
    Shelly was selling octopus.

They were tired of them getting in the stone crab traps and they captured a bunch. I think they were about four bucks a pound.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Chesapeake trollerChesapeake troller Greenhorn Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    I don't know any place that has frozen octopus. But I'm trying to get a line on giant squid wings. Only commercial bait houses have the stuff and most don't sell retail. I'm going to try and get one of the local bait shops to special order some. They come in 22 lb packages mostly.

Cephalopods are cephalopods to grouper. Salted squid wing strips are even tougher than fresh octopus.

Thanks for the replies guys. Dave cleaned all the fish and this weekend we are planning a family fish fry for our two families. Cannot wait, Dave does a mean fish fry.

I checked on two places in Gainesville, Northwest Seafood and Ward's both sell Octopus. I also checked on Giant Squid wings and Lee at Northwest can order them for us, I had asked him since John at Aylesworth's Fish & Bait (Wholesaler in St. Petersburg) told me about him as a source. I would email John and ask for the retailer closest to you. Here is a cut and paste from his email to me in case these are close to you:

Thank you for your request. The closest retailer and most convenient location to you would be in Otter Creek. Hershel’s Quick Stop, 352 486 6584. They don’t stock wings but if you call them they may be willing to special order them for you. At this time we have them packed in 44# bundles. We do offer a smaller 10oz retail pack called squid bits. I would suggest you speak with Liz, she does the ordering.. If you need them this week. I would suggest you call them before 1 pm today for delivery on Thursday. The other retail location would be Cedar Key Marina 352 543 6148 speak with Leigh, she does the ordering. If I may be of additional help give me a call. Tight lines and following seas! Capt. John Edmons
    Aylesworth's Fish & Bait, Inc.
    1295 - 28th Street S
    St. Petersburg, FL USA 33712
    (800) 227-4577 voice
    (727) 327-8608 voice
    (727) 323-6753 fax
    www.fishandbait.com [email protected]
    Aylesworth's recommended MacCrae's and Blue Water in Homosassa as possible sources for giant squid wing special orders.

Most of these squid come from Mexico or Central America. They are called Humboldt squid on the west coast of the US. The bodies are cut up, pounded out to tenderize them, and sold for food as squid steaks. The wings are too tough. So they are either discarded or sold as bait. The wholesale price is generally around $1 per pound.

Octopus seem to be most common in the 15 - 30 ft depths where most of the stone crabs are found. On some years you can fill a cooler with them in a few hours fishing with cut bait. Other years they are practically nonexistent.