Tavernier patch reefs 12/6

Fished a patch in 15', inside of little conch reef using shrimp and ballyhoo plugs. Caught a few short muttons around 10-12", a red grouper about 15", a couple keeper yellowtails and this pretty nice short black too. We only fished for a little over an hour at this spot and there was good action. I'm sure there were some keeper groupers down there we just didn't find them.

Water was very clear, light winds under 10 mph from the ENE , and almost flat calm with a tiny bump. Very light current.

Augie
Capt. Augie Moss
www.HereFishyCharters.com

Replies

• Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Thanks for the report, love patch reef fishing. Try up-sizing your bait to big live baits (ballyhoo, grunts, legal small snapper, pilchards etc.) and those fish sizes will go up. Haven't been out in a couple weeks but it sounds like there are plenty of hungry fish in/around the patches.
  • Augie3000Augie3000 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    You're right, thanks. I forgot to mention that I did have live hoos hooked through the tail out the whole time, we just didn't get any hits on those. We were looking for some bigger muttons with them. I always cast a them out to the sides with a knocker rig. The hoo tries to swim up but can't and the muttons seem to love that!
    Capt. Augie Moss
    www.HereFishyCharters.com
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 875 Officer
    Good report. Looks like it was really a nice day out there. It took me a second or 2 to realize that was a ballyhoo beak sticking out of that black's mouth!
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Thanks again for the update. I always love to hear stories from the "front line". Each time I get these little nuggets of information it just reinforces and enhances my tactics. Dying to get out. Miiiiiight just play hookie this afternoon......
    Augie3000 wrote: »
    You're right, thanks. I forgot to mention that I did have live hoos hooked through the tail out the whole time, we just didn't get any hits on those. We were looking for some bigger muttons with them. I always cast a them out to the sides with a knocker rig. The hoo tries to swim up but can't and the muttons seem to love that!