Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Where is the best place to take a kid fishing that will get them hooked.

My 6 year old little girl asked me to take her fishing in a few weeks. I do alittle surf fishing now and then but I'm a Novice and I dont have much luck. I want her to have fun and catch some fish but I realy dont know where to to start. I have the poles and I can buy the tackle just point me in the right direction. Any place we can go between Mexico beach and PCB, what to fish for and how you guys catch them. Thanks.
:driver:

Replies

• Reef ThiefReef Thief Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    You should check out the county and city pier. They have been catching a ton of whiting over the past month. They are easy to catch and plentiful. Both piers have tackle stores at the entrance. They will be able to provide you the tackle and bait for whatever is biting that day.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,039 Captain
    My experience with youngsters is that they really don't care what they catch--just that they have constant action. For that, you can get a small children's spinner (snoopy pole) with small hooks, split-shot, and bobber along with some frozen shrimp and fish off of somebody's dock in the bay to start with. No boat motion for them to deal with and they will usually catch hardhead catfish & pinfish as fast as you can bait the hook. There are a number of small fishing docks near the boat ramps as well as in the State Park.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I don't know where to tell you to go. But I can say catch small fish like pinfish. They want action. It will last only a short time. Forget about serious fishing yourself. You are guide to the kid.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    The jetties at St. Andrews.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    There is an easy beach access just west of Mex Bch with great parking and whiting bite should be good.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Klinger wrote: »
    My experience with youngsters is that they really don't care what they catch--just that they have constant action. For that, you can get a small children's spinner (snoopy pole) with small hooks, split-shot, and bobber along with some frozen shrimp and fish off of somebody's dock in the bay to start with. No boat motion for them to deal with and they will usually catch hardhead catfish & pinfish as fast as you can bait the hook. There are a number of small fishing docks near the boat ramps as well as in the State Park.

This is good advice......just let them catch some pinfish and play in the bait bucket.
  • addicted2reelinaddicted2reelin Posts: 137 Deckhand
    mustang190 wrote: »
    The jetties at St. Andrews.
    X2 just don't take her very far down the rocks as it can be tricky.
  • evansmithevansmith Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Pinfish and croakers!