1962 28ft. Memco Sport Fisher

Replies

• Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    Don't change the name of the boat.
    I have also been very turned off by the "threats". You are re-doing a boat.... we want to see what you are doing. Nobody wants to read a paragraph about your cabin if we cannot see what you are talking about. Keep up the great work and please give me some hope in doing what I dream of but dang man, its not a 100% audience participation piano bar. If I want to stop by and admire the work being done then so be it. 12,779 views is something to be proud of!!!!!!! That is a lot of people coming back to this thread that is now buried deep within the FS forums. Please do not quit posting and run to THT. You are getting to the best parts of the boat and we all wanna see!! I know the cabin is important but we are guys and want to know what the electronics package is and how you set it up for either fishing or drinking. DO NOT STOP NOW!! WE WANT TO KNOW! 12,779 views! Compare that to the other threads.... You are the "member dream boats" section.
  • Capt SteveBetzCapt SteveBetz Posts: 67 Deckhand
    I found this thread a while back. I stop by the FS forum every other day or so. The first stop I make is the MEMBERS DREAM BOAT FORUM just to see the progress and comments on this thread.
    I have no intentions of rebuilding another boat. I rebuilt my first and last one this past year. I do however enjoy reading about other rebuilds.

I dont have to much to comment on as some of the stuff you have done so far looked good to me and I had nothing to add that I felt was necessary.

Rather than taking your ball and going home (so to speak) why dont you post on a couple of forums? Its as easy as copy and past.

I did this with my build on a couple of forums. I posted mine on a couple of forums that are fairly unknown. Mainly because I had some friends on those forums that wanted to see the build in progress and because I did not have much time to field questions and comments on the build. I was to busy working on the boat practically 7 days a week 10 hrs a day so I could get it done.
    Now that I think about it I may post up on this forum with a thread about my build. Maybe I can win that Starbrite contest since my boat is done,.:crossed

Here is some advice for you.
    Lose the attitude with people posting something they dont like about your rebuild. You will never make everyone happy with the way you do things.
    Capt. Steve Betz
    Tampa Flats and Bay Charters
    www.flatsandbay.com
    813-727-8843
  • 28memco28memco Posts: 700 Officer
    Change the name of the boat from riptide to OL GAL.
    Dude wrote: »
    This BIG BOY recommends you relax.:chill
    Hey Dude some people accused me of having a not so good attitude on my thread towards people who post. I went back and read all my threads and found I said some things to you that If I could take what I said back I would. But I can't take what I said back so I want to let you no that I apologise for the things I said to you and I hope you will accept my apology. I assure you that it want happen again. Terrence
    Capt. Greg wrote: »
    Firstly, I never made any comments regarding Girl Scouts so I have no clue as to what you are talking about. Secondly, all I was looking for was information regarding a statement you made and was never derogatory. Next, I am a proffesional yacht captain with extensive experience in both catching fish (I get paid to do it) and shifting boats anywhere from the Keys to Nova Scotia. Oh yeah, although it is a nice boat you got there, we tend to use the small ones like it for dinghys. Trust me, you will never hear from me again. Oh, BTW the thing you are putting on the bridge of your boat is called a "mast" not "mass". Out.
    Capt. Greg it was brought to my attention by some members on F.S. that my attitude towards a few people who have posted comments on my thread wasn't good. I went back through my thread and found out that they where right. I wanted to take the time to tell you I apologise for the thing's I said to you. I can't take back what I said and if I could I would but I can swallow my pride and let you no the things I said shouldn't of been said and I assure you that it want happen again. Hope you can accept my apology. Terrence
    Between this thread and new trophy 2460 project thread I went back and read everything I posted. I felt like it was a total of four people that I need to apologise to. I sent those four people a private message but I wanted to apologise to them out in the public also, because what I said to them was out in the public. If by ANY chance someone else felt like I said something to them that I should not of said I want to apologise to you also. Terrence
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    Hang in there, I still love the boat and now have two places to read about it. When you're sitting on the boat enjoying the results of your time and effort none of this forum stuff will matter anyway.

Thanks for posting all the pix.

John.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    Terrence,
    Thanks for being mindful of others, taking the time to reflect on your actions or words and offering an apology to me. I gladly accept it and think that much more of you for offering it to me. I will admit I was miffed and I actually feel better after offering you forgiveness. Funny how that works. Thank you so very much! Keep up the good work, Wade
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    Hello???:shrug
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    well..... that sucks
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    well..... that sucks

Other site, second page of boating - not shoved into the back corner in some sub-forum. Lots of cool background info on his boat.
    The aft deck will be cut out so I can make repairs/changes. There is only one hatch on the aft deck and it doesn't allow you to get to everything that's under the deck. After I cut out the deck when I start to put the deck back together I will be adding two more hatches so I can access everything under the deck any time I need to. In one of the pictures I drew a picture where I will be putting the two new hatches. When I bought the boat there was a patch in the deck as you can see in one of the pictures. Once I removed it I noticed the previous owner had made a repair on the filler hose that's attach to one of three fuel tanks.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    hey man, just wanted to let you know that i've been following the thread, but I got banned so i couldn't reply. thanks for your posts
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    This is the only access I have to my fuel tanks and other vital things that's stored under the aft deck. As you can see I don't have much room to get to anything. Now you see why I'm adding more hatches to the aft deck. If I don't do this there is no telling what needs to be repaired/replaced and 50 miles off shore isn't the time to say,"Man I wish I inspected under the aft deck to see if anything needs to be repaired/replaced." From the few photos I took from the small hatch you can see there are fuel lines that needs to be replaced. I'm sure that's not the only thing that needs to be replaced.repaired. I'll post photos of the entire back end tore out once I do it.
    This spot light will be added just forward of the flybridge. I'm going to have to come up with something where the spotlight and the navigation light are together. I don't like the way they look separated. It'll look sweet when I come up with something. Right now I'm just brain storming.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    to me, it looks like there are two flood lamps..right? make one green and one red with film or somethin...and mount a whole new spotlight on top of the new and improved navlights...
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    A few pages back there where some talk about me installing a live well into the transom. I think that would look good but come to find out I can't put a live well into the transom on this boat. If you look at the transom with the picture I provided you will see a protective board covering half of the transom. Behind that board is equipment that's needed for the safe operation of the boat. Since I can't install a transom live well I have come up with something that's going to do just as good as a transom live well. There's a old fish box that came with the boat that have seen better days. It's removable and when in service it's stored up against the transom. You see there's a small hole on the aft deck by the transom, there's also a port that's underneath the fish box that goes in that hole. When ice melt the water drains from the fish box and out the back of the boat. What I'm going to do is put a divider in the middle of the fish box and make one half a fish box and the other half a live well. Underneath the starboard rail there's a switch that turns on the wash down system on/off. The wash down pump and switch will be used to feed the live well also. There will also be a custom cushion made for seating on top of the fish box/live well.
    The post that help holds the flybridge up on the port side had many deep stress cracks in one spot. Most of the time if you have stress cracks you can open the crack up with a dremel and fill the crack with epoxy and cab-o-sil and sand. As you can see from the picture epoxy and cab-o-sil just wasn't going to do it this time. So I decided to lay glass.
    Yo Memco! Nice to see ya.
    The boat is coming along great. Would you consider mounting the nav light to the bow and leaving the flood light where you have it pictured?
    I dont see a good reason to have the nav light mounted up that high anyway. Just a thought.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,446 AG
    Have you made the descision regarding moving the steering location???
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me wrote: »
    Have you made the descision regarding moving the steering location???

Yes I'm going to move the steering. I wish I could keep the pulleys and cables that's there now but there is not enough room for them where I'm going to put the new steering. If one of my pulleys brake now it'll cost me $10 for a new one. Once I switch over to a more modern system it'll cost me hundreds of dollars to get it fix if it was to brake.
    Go Mongo wrote: »
    Yo Memco! Nice to see ya.
    The boat is coming along great. Would you consider mounting the nav light to the bow and leaving the flood light where you have it pictured?
    I dont see a good reason to have the nav light mounted up that high anyway. Just a thought.
    I didn't think of that but I think that would be a good idea and that's what I'll probably do. I just have to find a nice bow light that go with the lines of the boat. I also have to find a way to run power up there to the bow without anyone being able to see the wires. I hate looking at expose wires. Good idea.
    Thank you for everyone who continue to check in on my thread even though I haven't posted any new pics. I just bought another home so I have been remodelling and preparing the boat and everything else for the move. Once I finish remodelling I'll start back working on the boat and posting pic's. The boat will be in her permanent spot (The new house) so I can really start taking her apart and work on her. One thing I'm looking forward to is removing the ENTIRE fixed aft. deck and replacing/fixing/cleaning the things under there. I was going to make three small hatches in the new aft. deck so I can have access under there. The three small hatch design has been tossed away because my original design for the aft. deck a handful of people told me I can't do that. Well I'm going to prove them wrong. The entire new deck will be removable with just one hand. And all of this will be able to be done while out at sea if need be. Keep coming back I'll show you and those who say I can't do it how I'm going to do it.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    Hi 28, hope your move goes well. Been There Done that, you will find things from a decade ago that you didnt even know you still had.

a couple questions/ thoughts. With the weight, are you planning on using a ram assist or going for the full lifting rams? Are your plans for the deck to be sealed? I ask because i was just watching a sporty on tv backing down and taking a wave over the transom.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    Catmandew wrote: »
    Hi 28, hope your move goes well. Been There Done that, you will find things from a decade ago that you didnt even know you still had.

a couple questions/ thoughts. With the weight, are you planning on using a ram assist or going for the full lifting rams? Are your plans for the deck to be sealed? I ask because i was just watching a sporty on tv backing down and taking a wave over the transom.

CMD
    I have the idea of how I'm going to do it but I haven't made up my mind what I will use to assist with raising the transom floor. I decided to do this project for two reasons----1. People told me I can't do it 2. If you look at the recent photos I posted of underneath the transom you can see there are fuel lines that need to be replaced, a string holding the exhaust, needs a updated fuel/water separator, there's a soft spot in the floor, etc,etc,etc. And that's the things that can be seen from that small port. What scares me is what can't be seen. There is no way I'll go 50 miles off shore knowing I haven't looked/replaced/repaired things under the aft deck. This project is going to be challenging but I'm up for it. I'm sure a lot of people think I'm just talking about adding a few normal size hatches to the aft deck. Nope. I'm going to make it where the entire underneath aft deck can be exposed with just one hand. The deck will be water tight where no water will be able to get in the bilge and the marine wood floor will also get covered in fiberglass top and bottom.
  • TeanmTzHerTeanmTzHer Posts: 100 Officer
    Lookin good champ. Keep em comin!
    If you aint fishin you aint Livin!
    DSCF2380-1.jpg
    Just checking in to see any updates on the boat restoration.
    How's is going?
    Go Mongo wrote: »
    Just checking in to see any updates on the boat restoration.
    How's is going?
    Still spending 10 to 12 hours a day when I'm not at work restoring the house. It's going slow because I'm the only one doing everything. I have a month left then I'll be done. Then again I was the one who said the house remodel would only take a month and now it's almost 3 months later. Thanks for hanging in there. I'll be back soon.
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Looks like the S.S. Minnow.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Looks like a cros between a 28 foot Bertram and a Downeast style head boat.
    For those who have been following my thread know that I took sometime off from restoring my 28ft sport fisher to remodel my home that I just bought (Trying to make the wife happy). I have been working on this house just about everyday for about 4 months and now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (The end is almost here). Once I'm done I'll be starting back on the restoration of the boat. Thanks for your patience.