1962 28ft. Memco Sport Fisher

Replies

• 28memco28memco Posts: 700 Officer
    Change the name of the boat from riptide to OL GAL.
    "Rip Tide" is double diagonal planked with cedar over mahogany frames on 12" centers for the bottom. Hull topsides are double horizonally planked. The keel is also mahogany. The hull, the decks, and cabin top are sheathed in fiberglass cloth using epoxy resin. This is equivalent to cold-molded construction. The bilges are painted, and the fuel tanks are made from Monel.
  • reedreed Posts: 322 Officer
    Did you purchase the boat from Mr. C.N. Heston? And have you been able to speak with the builder Mabrey Edwards?

Knowing the history of the boat and some of the stories that go along with it is really cool. You realize that you're not just restoring a boat for a hobby and something to fish out of? You are about to preserve history!

I would try and get some early pictures of the boat. Maybe some during it's construction and some of its restorations/re power's over the years, along with pictures from the old owner of it on the water and in action. Keep the pictures on the boat in a nice book or something. I would also print the boats history that you posted on some nice parchment paper in an old style font and keep it with it as well.

Maybe you could get your wife interested in doing that part of it. They like that scrapbooking kind of thing. Plus she will be more likely to let you spend more $$$ and more time with "Rip Tide" if she feels a part of it...

Just thinking out loud...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm sure Mr. C.N. Heston and Mabrey Edwards are dead now. Next year which is in about 27 days from now the boat will be 50 years old. I would of love to had the chance to talk to them. I think what you said about having the boat history posted some where on the boat in an old style print is a good idea and I will do that. As for as my wife letting me spend more money on the boat well I boat the boat (which wasn't cheap) then with a boat so big I didn't have a trailer that would fit it so I had to buy a trailer (brand new trailer $6500), and to top it off a boat that size isn't light so the truck I have isn't strong enough to pull it so I had to buy a F350 Dually so I think it's going to take more then scrapbook to let my wife open the check book for me. But I where the pants in my house she just tells me what pants to put on.
    I bet that no one can tell me what this is used for on the boat. I will revel the answer on 12/20/11 I bet that no one can tell me what this is used for on the boat. I will revel the answer on 12/20/11
    Props back from the machine shop.
  • classic1classic1 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    I bet that no one can tell me what this is used for on the boat. I will revel the answer on 12/20/11 I bet that no one can tell me what this is used for on the boat. I will revel the answer on 12/20/11

Thats your "fuel gauge".

So what do I win?
  • tagtag Posts: 8,842 Admiral
    classic1 wrote: »
    Thats your "fuel gauge".

So what do I win?

Yup, I had one just like it.
    WOW. I thought no one would of guess what this was and I never would of thought someone on here would of had one. The boat builder made it with the boat. I was going to get the boat 3 fuel tanks setup so you can tell how much fuel you have from a gauge but when I found this out I liked it. I do think that this would get old checking the fuel this way but we will see. I'm trying to keep the boat as simple as possible. If I get the 3 fuel tanks set up where I can read how much fuel is in them from a gauge that's just one more thing to break.
    Classic1 you asked what do you win for guessing that this is my fuel stick well I will channel good energy to you and hopefully by me doing that you will never run out of captain crunch cereal , get beat up by a midget, or get drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
    Classic1 you asked what do you win for guessing that this is my fuel stick well I will channel good energy to you and hopefully by me doing that you will never run out of captain crunch cereal , get beat up by a midget, or get drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,327 Captain
    Since I've had bad luck with fuel guages, sending units, etc. I long ago quit using them whenever I could (fuel stick won't work unless you can directly access the top of the tank(s). If you can, make a spare and squirrel it away somewhere in case you lose one (don't ask). Using a dipstick is flat out the most reliable, accurare means of knowing the exact amount of fuel you've got. To make a new stick, start with an empty tank then chose your measurements (5 gal, 10 gal, 20 gal increments). Pump that exact amount, the make a mark with a triangular shaped file, then repeat over and over again until you hit the point where you can't load any more fuel. Once you have the marks, then use them to make more visible cuts in that old piece of teakwood and you're in business. At the end of every day I dip the tank before fueling and know to the gallon just how much to pump onboard (and I'm only operating with a small skiff, single 30 gallon tank). That sort of stuff is probably more important for an in the water installation - particularly with the Coast Guard looking for fuel spills at fuel docks....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,610 Admiral
    I used a dip stick for a while too, then I got the Centroid sender and it is all good. Nice rig by the way.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Lemaymiami thank you for the info. I will do everything you said because I was wondering how to make a new fuel stick and measure it correctly. I have three tanks on board and each tank have a port on top where I can access the fuel tanks and measure them from the top. When I bought the boat the guy didn't no what each mark was on the fuel tank so if you would not of told me this I would of been guessing how much fuel I have accorrding to the fuel stick in the picture.
    Lemaymiami thank you for the info. I will do everything you said because I was wondering how to make a new fuel stick and measure it correctly. I have three tanks on board and each tank have a port on top where I can access the fuel tanks and measure them from the top. When I bought the boat the guy didn't no what each mark was on the fuel tank so if you would not of told me this I would of been guessing how much fuel I have accorrding to the fuel stick in the picture.
    Lemaymiami you better be glad I don't stay next door to you because we would become best friends whether you like it or not. Not because of the friendship but for me to learn half of what you no. This is my first big boat so at times it can get overwhelming refinishing the boat. For a hobby I build furniture so I keep telling myself this is one big waterproof furniture that Im working on and its working so for.
  • wilsontintwilsontint Posts: 62 Deckhand
  • classic1classic1 Posts: 103 Deckhand
    My brother had a very early model Hewes bonefisher and it had the same teak "fuel gauge."
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    What a beautiful boat. I'd love to see something like that tied up at my dock.

New Years list...
    1. get dock.
    2. get really awesome old sport fisher.

Well I have the list at least.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wilsontint it's my fuel stick. My boat don't have fuel gauges so I have a port on the top of my 3 fuel tanks and by dipping the teak wood stick in the tanks thats how I know how much fuel I have.
    beyondhelp Thanks for the comment on the boat. I almost didn't get the boat because my wife say she didn't want me to have another project boat because she no how it consumes my time. So when she was sleep I bought the boat home and took the punishment (2 days on the couch). It was worth the punishment.
    Engines have been service so today was my 1st day to sea trial the boat before I start redoing the inside of the boat. All that work that was done to both of the engines the sea trial lasted 2 minutes. I could not sleep last night looking forward to today. The starboard side engine ran rough because of the distributor cap. So off to advance auto parts for something else. Yes I said advance auto store. Thats one of many things I like about the twin 300 cubic feet ford inline 6 engines is that when something brake I can go to the auto store. Talking about saving money. For the distributor cap it cost me $39.95. I don't want to guess what it would cost me if I go to a marine store. It's funny how the price jumps up when the word marine is on the box. I'll post pics and let you no how it go tomorrow.
    This picture came with the boat. This is a picture of the 28 ft memco being built. The 1st is the guy I bought the boat from uncle and the guy on the top is believe to be Mabry Edwards. This boat has been in the family for almost 50 years and I had to come and just mess things up.
    Everyone check back tonight I'm going to post another pic of something on the boat that I believe you will not be able to guess what it is. The 1st pic I post was my fuel stick and you guys got that one right but the pic that I'm going to post tonight I think I'm going to stump you. NO ONE WILL GET THIS ONE RIGHT. Good luck at guessing.
    Just installed the 14,000 pound curt hitch on the F-350 dually. The trailer will be done some time next week. I can't wait until I get the boat out of the water and onto the trailer. Then I will be able to take it home and really dive into it.
    ya.jpg 50.7K
    I bet that no one on here will be able to guess why I would have this light on while I'm on the boat. I will share the answer on 12/24/11. Happy guessing because you will not get this one right.
  • southgadawgdiversouthgadawgdiver Posts: 145 Officer
    I would guess one of two things.1st, might it indicate the boat has passed through the Panama Canel, or 2nd to indicate the Capt. is aboard ? Just guessing, love the boat!!
  • inshore101inshore101 Posts: 108 Officer
    It's beautiful! I'm jealous!