Home Rules, Questions and Tests Forum Test

1962 28ft. Memco Sport Fisher

18910111214»

Replies

• 777mechanic777mechanic Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Don't change the name of the boat.
    i have very much enjoyed the rebuild , but it makes me want to go out and buy a boat just to rebuild it , i have been an aircraft mechanic and custom woodworker for 29years and would love to start a project like yours. biggest problem is wait for my transfer to orlando from colorado which may be up to 2 years .
  • 28memco28memco Posts: 703 Officer
    Change the name of the boat from riptide to OL GAL.
    i have very much enjoyed the rebuild , but it makes me want to go out and buy a boat just to rebuild it , i have been an aircraft mechanic and custom woodworker for 29years and would love to start a project like yours. biggest problem is wait for my transfer to orlando from colorado which may be up to 2 years .

I remember when I started looking for a boat to rebuild. It became additive. I was on boat trader and other web sites 2 to 3 times a day. It took me about 2 years before I got this boat. I new the style of boat I wanted so I just waited patiently for her. It was well worth the wait. I get people all the time trying to buy her from me. I just smile and say, "Sorry it's not for sale."
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Great thread!...
    I have been reading the 40page report over the past few nights...
    I thought about your relocating the wheel today, and I believe it's a very good idea...
    Bringing that steering up to date with hydrolic, or cable, will be exciting...
    I know, I'm quite fond of the chain system too, but to continue using the wheel where it's not comfortable...
    It should be a pleasure to captain the vessel.... Right-on!

As for the house makeover... I bought mine and told myself, this will be done in 1 year...
    It has been 3 years and I just planted a new backyard this past spring...
    The time passes quickly, and when it's complete, you look back at what didn't seem...
    Like it took that long, but it sure did!

Congratulations, on finding your awesome boat!
    God, save the South!
    If you were to go off-shore fishing with us for a couple days

You would need every inch of a 17x58 inch fish box...
    Probably two fish box that size.
    Might not want to make that a live well...
    God, save the South!
    Great thread!...
    I have been reading the 40page report over the past few nights...
    I thought about your relocating the wheel today, and I believe it's a very good idea...
    Bringing that steering up to date with hydrolic, or cable, will be exciting...
    I know, I'm quite fond of the chain system too, but to continue using the wheel where it's not comfortable...
    It should be a pleasure to captain the vessel.... Right-on!

As for the house makeover... I bought mine and told myself, this will be done in 1 year...
    It has been 3 years and I just planted a new backyard this past spring...
    The time passes quickly, and when it's complete, you look back at what didn't seem...
    Like it took that long, but it sure did!

Congratulations, on finding your awesome boat!
    Thanks for reading through the thread and I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm not looking forward to relocating the wheel but I'm going to do it. I'm going to do everything I can to keep the cable system and not go with hydraulics. I think I'm anti-hydraulics because I don't no nothing about that type of system. Plus the chain and cable system is soooo easy to work on. I told myself that it would take 1 month for me to remodel my house and now it's going on 6 months now (There's only so many hours in a day when you are doing all the work by yourself). I did take some time off from working on the house to go and get my captains licenses. Thanks for the tip on not making the fish box a live well. Keep coming back to the thread because I'm going to be starting back working on the boat soon.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    You have a lot of hats to wear right now.
    Thanks for the updates!
    For over 50 years this boat has had only one name and that's "Riptide" (Which it is still name "Riptide). I have spent a lot of time thinking about if I'm going to rename the boat or keep it's current name. All my boats have been named after my wife. I'm going to keep that tradition and within a few days she will no longer be riptide. Her new name will be "OL GAL". I will not be putting the new name up now because I'm going to sand/prime/repaint the outside but the old name will be coming down within a couple of days. At the top of the page I have started a poll where you can vote on if you think I should keep the boat name as riptide or do you think I should change it to OL GAL?
    :nono taboo!

RIPTIDE is original to the vessel, there is no name as cool as RIPTIDE.
    RIPTIDE is historically significant.

Why, did you ask ol gal?... What does she think?...
    God, save the South!
    :nono taboo!

RIPTIDE is original to the vessel, there is no name as cool as RIPTIDE.
    RIPTIDE is historically significant.

Why, did you ask ol gal?... What does she think?...
    If my boat fall off the trailer while I'm hauling it down the road my wife would not care. Boating isn't her thing. She don't under stand why someone would spend so MANY hours which leads to days, weeks, months, and sometimes years working on a boat to only enjoy it for a few hours here and there. She participates in boating because I enjoy it and it's another way for us to spend time together. On the other hand she do like that I name my boats after her. I think "OL Gal" fits the boat being that it's a old boat and most boats if not all of them are women.
  • Greyt EscapeGreyt Escape Posts: 326 Officer
    bad
    Now that the cabin is finished I'm going to move on to the flybridge. Today I stripped about 90% of the flybridge. The only thing that's left is the steering column and gauges. Once that's done I'll sand and get it ready to be primed and painted. There aren't any structure issues with the flybridge just cosmetic I also removed a lot of unnecessary wiring that want be needed for the rebuild of this boat. As you can see by the pictures the wires underneath the flybridge inside the pilothouse is held up by strings (It want remain that way). I was glad I didn't find any rotten wood. I will be going with a part 2 part epoxy paint (Haven't decided on the brand of paint). From the rub rail up the boat will be painted white. Below the rub rail the boat will be painted bikini bottom and the underneath of the boat will be black. So far I haven't ran into any major problems but I'll keep my fingers cross, Things are going to good to be true.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    one of the best threads in a while. glad you are back at it.

• BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Welcome Back! Finally finish your long honey do list?
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • KyleStyleKyleStyle Posts: 426 Deckhand
    Thanks for the update!

Looking good! images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzikljuFmYDuKeooHyBXsmLB5wP_96ryhXib8FzvdrJTsxKzSm1A