FOOD SAVER FOR FREEZING LOBSTER

Happy Friday to all!

With Lobster season only 7 and a wake up away, I'm thinking of investing in a good quality vacuum sealer for the tails.

Has anyone used one for tails? I'm concerned about the sharp points on the shell poking through the plastic.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Replies

• 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    The sharp points will puncture the bags. I just nip them off with a pair of shears and you are good to go. I have heard from others that they place the tails on those soft styrofoam pads (like what produce is packaged on) then vacuum seal the whole deal and get the same result. We just ate tails from opening day 2010 about 3 weeks ago - tasted good as fresh.
  • Circle HookedCircle Hooked Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Last time around i wraped each tail in paper plates and it worked well,styrofoam pad would be better.
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    try sealing two tails together so that the spikes are on the inside. there's a 50% off deal right now for a food saver, I can foward you the email if you'd like.
  • conchdogconchdog Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thank you for all the great suggestions! This Forum never disappoints!!
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    roll the tail into a ball and wrap in HD Reynolds Wrap. Been doin that for 30 years.no vac seal just put em in a zip loc. Vac pack would be better...
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • capttimcapttim Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    i curl them up and vac bag them, wrap the vac bag in paper towels and put them in a second vac bag and seal it. Works fine
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    lbud wrote: »
    roll the tail into a ball and wrap in HD Reynolds Wrap. Been doin that for 30 years.no vac seal just put em in a zip loc. Vac pack would be better...

this
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer
    Freeze solid, then glaze in very cold water a time or two, immediately back into the freezer, easy, cheap and works great.