Homosassa 7/29 Trout Sea bass and a Mackerel drifting

Lee joined me today to do some drifting over the deep flats. I was in for a relaxing day and some good company so we hit the water at 7 AM and headed out to an old area I haven't visited in a year. The tide was incoming and the wind was south eats at about 12 making straight drift eastward a bit difficult. The water temp had dropped to 86 degrees so I figured the bite would be hot. WRONG. The bite was slow and the fish we caught were thin and lethargic. We moved around a bit but really never got much of a bite. We tried gulps and cut bait and both were slow but the cut bait brought more fish to the boat. The shark were tolerable on a good note. We did manage 6 lower slot trout, 6 decent sea bass and a good mackerel. A good dinner for Lee's and my family. Still a great day on the water until the wind stopped and the temps soared. We packed it in at around 12:30.

tableshot.jpg
This place Rocks if yer a crabber

Replies

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,662 Captain
    At least you guys got a few. And got out. But you are correct...this heat makes it tough on the fisherman.

Last week Lee and I couldn't buy much of a bite.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,477 Officer
    Some good fish. My wife loves black sea bass. Wish we could catch them as big as the ones they get up the east coast. You could have caught a BIG shark with that mackerel. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,036 Captain
    sounds like you did better than i did, I was at work!
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice table fare indeed Mr Kyle :applause
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    You got to go, and you caught'em ....in my book thats an awesome trip, kyles book ???? well .....different story lol The trout are looking quite thin.....water temps? lack of bait fish?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,326 Captain
    It was a nice relaxing trip except for the shortcut back doing 35 mph through the Sugar Bowl. :hairraiser

Kyle thought that is was too hot to slow down for the idle zone at the mouth of the Homosassa.
  • caldnsikcaldnsik Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Not bad for a day on the water. Looks like you had much more fun than I did at work!
    "Beer is not a matter of life or death, It is much more important than that!!!"
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,529 Captain
    angler18 wrote: »
    sounds like you did better than i did, I was at work!

:signs
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,662 Captain
    It was a nice relaxing trip except for the shortcut back doing 35 mph through the Sugar Bowl. :hairraiser

Fun isn't it...I have a buddy who insists on going that way...on plane. Fortunately his boat isn't as fast as Kyle's.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • EbbtideEbbtide Posts: 198 Officer
    Mmmm, I can taste the trout sammich right now. Little mayo, salt & pepper...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike
    Custom Fishing Rods & Rod Repair.
    www.backcountrysportsmen.com
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Nicely done Tman. Heat's rough.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    I think the heat killed the bite for me today, glad to see you were able to catch some dinner :beer
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....