FL man makes enough while IN jail to bail himself OUT of jail

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
TAVARES, Fla. (Associated Press) — Authorities say an inmate at a central Florida jail used a glitch in the facility's phone system to bond himself out.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office says 32-year-old Larry Stone discovered the glitch earlier this month. The phone system charges inmate accounts for calls but refunds the money if the call doesn't go through. But the system was reimbursing inmates twice for incomplete calls.

Authorities say Stone repeatedly made calls and hung up until he had more than $1,250 – enough to bond out of jail. Stone had been arrested in April on property-crime charges.

Stone was only free for a few hours before he was re-arrested. Officials became suspicious when other inmates tried copying the trick.

The software error has been fixed and accounts restored to their previous totals.

Replies

• spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    I've got to admit, that's pretty **** funny. Kudos to him for figuring it out. Now if he could just apply some of his wit towards something productive
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,525 Admiral
    That's awesome.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    They added grand theft and fraud to his charges for that.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,027 AG
    Ok, I am sittin in jail and I gotsta to figgure out a ways to gets out.
    I'se got it..........I'll break some more laws
    :applause
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    wizfisher wrote: »
    They added grand theft and fraud to his charges for that.

I don't have the desire to follow this but seems trumped up. The gov't had to do something I guess because they got a black eye. I'd like to know specifically what they think he did/broke. All he did was exploit a situation made available to him. I hope he get a good lawyer. Sometime the gov't is wrong.
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    I don't have the desire to follow this but seems trumped up. The gov't had to do something I guess because they got a black eye. I'd like to know specifically what they think he did/broke. All he did was exploit a situation made available to him. I hope he get a good lawyer. Sometime the gov't is wrong.

So you're okay with what he did?

What if a customer did something similar to your business?
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    If I go to the store and they give me back extra change, it's not illegal for me to keep it (immoral maybe, but that's another story). What happened here is no different, except the fact that he kept going back to that same store again and again. I don't disagree with them taking the money back, but to charge him with a crime for it is ridiculous. I hope his lawyer has a field day with those charges.
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    spinfreak wrote: »
    If I go to the store and they give me back extra change, it's not illegal for me to keep it (immoral maybe, but that's another story). What happened here is no different, except the fact that he kept going back to that same store again and again.

Ummm...if you kept going back because you KNEW you would get back extra change, it's called stealing.

How many times do you have to make a call and hang up to get 1200 dollars? TD, how much do they charge to make phone calls from jail?
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,027 AG
    $2.50 each
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    He's been in there a couple months and couldn't come up with the $1250 bail money so I doubt he can afford a lawyer.