Home General Paddle Craft

Need some input - Pictures will help !

CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
Check it out

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?8614-385ci-Kayak-Kit

Trying to mount the FF/GPS Utilizing existing hole in deck approx 1 1/4 across. ( smaller screw holes are easy to plug and will be hdden.

Running transducer wire ( and waterproofing afterwards) is my challenge.

Any input is helpful !

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    If it was my Scupper Pro, I would cut a round plate/disc out of a black cutting board (from WalFart or Target) that is the same diameter as the mounting area (or a bit smaller) and install with 4 stainless steel oval head screws & lock nuts that are countersunk into the poly, then seal the plate with 3M 5200.
    Now you have clean slate to do you install. You can mount the Humminbird bracket to the polyboard with s/s sheet metal screws, no need to thru-bolt.I would pass on the rubber stopper and go with this from West Marine- SEACHOICE CABLE THRU-HULL BLACK....$10

223_A5017901.jpg

.....or the Cable Clam for $20 from West Marine.
    1001-1003_182x182.jpg

.....or maybe this, Ancor Marine Through-Deck Wire Seal.... $5.99-14.99

765000.jpg
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    My solution to the transducer wire is to keep it mounted under the hatch area with velcro when not in use and just pull it out through the hatch when I use the fishfinder. Just strap the hatch down over the wire, as the Scupper-Pro has a big, soft gasket so it doesn't pinch the wire and still keeps water out. Most of my kayak trips are done without the fishfinder, so the exposed end of the transducer wire doesn't get exposed to the elements when not in use. Just my 2 cents.

bugdoc
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Great stuff there guys ! Thanks ! Gives me some ideas to work with the room / spaces I have ! TY.

Ill post pics of the finished product as this weekend , I am finishing hours to qualify for state testing on my 215 license then after that, I'll be putting some much needed time into RR Working on the yak and then of course - getting some blood on it. admittedly this new venture has taken some more of my time than I anticipated -

Thanks again !
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    I just looked at the clamshell - Its my idea of using a rubber stopper slit down the side and jammed into the opening only improved ! By introducing the housing, you ensure that the slit made to accomodate the cable is sealed back tight - love it !

I bought that as well as some marine board ( cheaper and easier to work with than cutting board ) and will trace the base and cut to fit.
    ( The clamshell will not fit flush under the mount for the FF, but will if I buils the base up a tad...) Clamshell covers the opening nicely and allows for watertight transfer of cables ! Love it -