Replies

• SJCSJC Posts: 2,561 Captain
    Good news for some, very bad for others. Don't quit spending money with your local shop just to save a dolla or 2
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    $8M in taxpayer dollars to build a road to an out of state owned barn full of overpriced knock offs run by kids who don't know which side of a reel is up working for minimum wage and competing with local Mom and Pop's in a limited and economically impacted market.

What's not to like?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,480 Admiral
    Tampa has mom and pop stores anymore?(sad but true). I can't buy hunting gear anywhere, and I don't think there is a local tackle shop other then Southeastern bait and tackle All the competition has been forced to close. It actually might be a good thing for the local economy and its target audience.

Hell we funded a freaking stadium for a HELL of alot more and can't even watch the games on TV

API, Summit, Penn etc etc etc etc etc ......overpriced knock offs??
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
    Ol Mucky wrote: »

API, Summit, Penn etc etc etc etc etc ......overpriced knock offs??

Ascend
    Bass Pro Shops
    Bob Timberlake
    Johnny Morris Reels
    Natural Reflections
    Offshore Angler
    Redhead
    Uncle Buck's
    White River
    Worldwide Sportsman
    XPS
    XTSspacer.gif

spacer.gif

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Yea, honestly bass pro is slightly over rated to me. However this will be about 3 min from my work, I will probably be there lol. It is sad though how few bait and tackle places there are anymore. Bass pro seems like they have an awesome selection except for the fact that it is just 5683 diff colors of zoom trick worms. Hahah
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    Not a fan of BPS, local shop, bridgemaster, always beat their prices. I go to Orlando once a year and get some gun stuff I can't find locally. But it's not BPS that put the crimp in the small shop it's the internet.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • johnDjohnD Posts: 6,388 Admiral
    About the only thing I buy there is clothes. 20 miles vs 60 miles. I'll take that all day, every day.
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    Ascend
    Bass Pro Shops
    Bob Timberlake
    Johnny Morris Reels
    Natural Reflections
    Offshore Angler
    Redhead
    Uncle Buck's
    White River
    Worldwide Sportsman
    XPS
    XTSspacer.gif

spacer.gif

Not everyone can afford Shimano, Yozuri, The North Face and Columbia Gary. In house brands are a reasonably priced alternative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    You implied all they sold was knock offs, which isn't true.
    And as James points out, not everyone has your deep pockets ;-)
    I'm def not a BPS investor, but Tampa has no options. I hate driving to Orlando just to look at a tree stand or climbing sticks, or the vast selection and availability of rods and reels, rigging equipment......u get the idea. The mom and pop options are no more, heck other than West Marine we don't even have boating supply stores and thats not BPS fault.
    Ascend
    Bass Pro Shops
    Bob Timberlake
    Johnny Morris Reels
    Natural Reflections
    Offshore Angler
    Redhead
    Uncle Buck's
    White River
    Worldwide Sportsman
    XPS
    XTSspacer.gif

spacer.gif
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,026 AG
    Bo, just an FYI but it's probably too far but we (St Pete) have a great marine supply place in F.I.S.H.'s and a couple of others. We also have a Dikc's sporting goods.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    You implied all they sold was knock offs, which isn't true.

No, I said they sold house brand/ private lables which were knock offs (copies, re-engineered to appear as the original name brand products) which when they do, they replace.

Which our loyal employee confirms but softens it as an "alternative":
    JesseJames wrote: »
    Not everyone can afford Shimano, Yozuri, The North Face and Columbia Gary. In house brands are a reasonably priced alternative.

They are still knock offs.

I've spent money at Betts, T.A. Mahoneys, Bill Jacksons and Minnows and Monsters when Penny owned it. I've seen local shops take a hit from their Ft. Myers store. It put Reels Inc out of business not that they were less expensive but simply because of Googan appeal.

Replacing any local ownership with a big box clerks, who will have no opportunity to own a piece of it or their own shops, because they cannot compete with them is a tragedy we face in more than tackle shops.

BPS brings nothing but low wage jobs while displacing traditional, small businesses owned and operated by your neighbors who are involved and contribute to the success of the local community and growing Florida's economy, not Missouri's.

No, I said they sold house brand/ private lables which were knock offs (copies, re-engineered to appear as the original name brand products) which when they do, they replace.

They are still knock offs.

So are you accusing Bass Pro of Copyright or Patent infringements? Many of these "knock off's" as you term it are made in conjuction with the original manufacturer to offer alternatives to higher priced goods. Many of the products are then offered in a good, better, best scenario. Again, many folks simply do not have the abilities to shell out large sums of money for name brand products. Although, if folks do wish to support their local retailers many of these "knock off's" are readily available on their shelves as well, created by third party manufacturers for the exact same reason Bass Pro has their own in house brands.
    Which our loyal employee confirms but softens it as an "alternative":

I've never denied where I work. I'm proud of it and I'm proud of the way my company does business.

I've spent money at Betts, T.A. Mahoneys, Bill Jacksons and Minnows and Monsters when Penny owned it. I've seen local shops take a hit from their Ft. Myers store. It put Reels Inc out of business not that they were less expensive but simply because of Googan appeal.

Why don't you define "googan appeal" for all the people on here Gary. Many of them shop at Bass Pro and I'm sure they'd love to hear your opinion of them.
    Replacing any local ownership with a big box clerks, who will have no opportunity to own a piece of it or their own shops, because they cannot compete with them is a tragedy we face in more than tackle shops.

BPS brings nothing but low wage jobs while displacing traditional, small businesses owned and operated by your neighbors who are involved and contribute to the success of the local community and growing Florida's economy, not Missouri's.

The fact of the matter is Bass Pro isn't looking to replace, displace or misplace any locally owned businesses. Truth be told there is plenty of room in the marketplace for both Bass Pro Shops as well as small independently owned businesses. It works here in Orlando, it will work in Tampa.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    :grin

Please , one outrage at a time.

On knock offs:

You sell them this,spacer.gifspacer.gif
    46386_is&sa=X&ei=VYO6UI2PMY6K9QSF_ICoCw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEWQPtrxMA3tkKQQY8E53qwRWzEFQ
    for $100

because it looks like this
    shimano_calcutta_400_b_400b_ct_400b_reel.jpg&sa=X&ei=V4W6UJafGpPPqQGzwoH4Dw&ved=0CAwQ8wc4MQ&usg=AFQjCNFSrUNA23Q3DZfibJqRBPSmu4nLXA
    For over twice the price,

And then this happens:

Overall Rating:
    rating.gif
    3out of5

Average Perfomance,
    July 27, 2011

By hitman2186 from El Cajon, CA

from El Cajon, CA

Advantages: Ease of use, Style/Design
    Disadvantages: Performance, Durability

"I bought two of these reels thinking that they would be a good substitute for a Calcutta and the reel has never malfunctioned while I was fishing. The reason for my average rating is due to durability. Both reels stopped working properly at the same time…which wasn’t very long after I purchased them. I sent them back to BPS for repair, but it wasn’t very long before I they started acting up again; bearing issues, making funny noises, and poor action while reeling. If you fish with bait off the side of your boat, this reel is for you. If you cast lures all day and require something that can withstand a lot of action, buy something else."

How many times a month do you fish on average? 4
    Do you own a boat? No
    Would you recommend this product as a gift? No

Was this review helpful to you?[URL="http://javascript<strong></strong>://"]Yes[/URL]Yes[URL="http://javascript<strong></strong>://"]No[/URL]No[URL="http://javascript<strong></strong>://"](Report Inappropriate Review)[/URL](Report Inappropriate Review)

Share this Review:

Overall Rating:
    rating.gif
    2out of5

mediocre at best,
    June 30, 2011

By IWanaGoFishing from Chesapeake Bay

from Chesapeake Bay

Disadvantages: Performance, Durability, poor drag system

"Picked up one of these two years ago. I fish with it about once every 3-4 months. The drag is terrible. It's incredibly jerkey and uneven. After my last trip, I'm finally fed up and replacing it."

What is your favorite type of fishing? Saltwater
    How many times a month do you fish on average? 2
    Do you own a boat? Yes

spacer.gif

A Googan is an unsophisticated consumer who looks at your reel and sees it as equivalent to that Shimano.
    JesseJames wrote: »

The fact of the matter is Bass Pro isn't looking to replace, displace or misplace any locally owned businesses. Truth be told there is plenty of room in the marketplace for both Bass Pro Shops as well as small independently owned businesses. It works here in Orlando, it will work in Tampa.

And that is nonsense.

Bass Pro wants everyones dollars and does not give a rodents behind if any of their small business competition survives.

And they want $8M of everyone else's money who will never go there to get them there as well. :grin

• winderbillwinderbill Posts: 274 Deckhand
    $8M in taxpayer dollars to build a road to an out of state owned barn full of overpriced knock offs run by kids who don't know which side of a reel is up working for minimum wage and competing with local Mom and Pop's in a limited and economically impacted market.

What's not to like?
    :signs
  • DoozeDooze Posts: 233 Officer
    I made the mistake of going to the D**k's in Brandon early Friday afternoon. A place I try typically try to avoid entirely, the entire mall parking lot was pretty intense and this wasn't even on the weekend. It took me 15 minutes to get from in front of the store to 60. IMO, the last thing that general area needs is a BPS, based on congestion alone, if not anything else. I have nothing directly against BPS per say, but I just don't buy much from there because everything is priced at a premium. However, in the past it was nice to go there and be able to see a wide array of items in person and not in a picture online. Keep in mind I live in Lakeland and, aside from the Sports Authority on the north side, there is not a lot of saltwater tackle available and if there is you are lucky to find what you need. I have no problem supporting local tackle shops, but Lakeland doesn't really have any sans the Fishing Shed (mostly freshwater).
    :grin

Please , one outrage at a time.

On knock offs:

You sell them this,spacer.gifspacer.gif
    46386_is&sa=X&ei=VYO6UI2PMY6K9QSF_ICoCw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEWQPtrxMA3tkKQQY8E53qwRWzEFQ
    for $100

because it looks like this
    shimano_calcutta_400_b_400b_ct_400b_reel.jpg&sa=X&ei=V4W6UJafGpPPqQGzwoH4Dw&ved=0CAwQ8wc4MQ&usg=AFQjCNFSrUNA23Q3DZfibJqRBPSmu4nLXA
    For over twice the price,

And then this happens:

Overall Rating:
    rating.gif
    3out of5

Average Perfomance,
    July 27, 2011

By hitman2186 from El Cajon, CA

from El Cajon, CA

Advantages: Ease of use, Style/Design
    Disadvantages: Performance, Durability

"I bought two of these reels thinking that they would be a good substitute for a Calcutta and the reel has never malfunctioned while I was fishing. The reason for my average rating is due to durability. Both reels stopped working properly at the same time…which wasn’t very long after I purchased them. I sent them back to BPS for repair, but it wasn’t very long before I they started acting up again; bearing issues, making funny noises, and poor action while reeling. If you fish with bait off the side of your boat, this reel is for you. If you cast lures all day and require something that can withstand a lot of action, buy something else."

Do you own a boat? No

Was this review helpful to you?[URL="http://javascript<strong></strong>://"]Yes[/URL]Yes[URL="http://javascript<strong></strong>://"]No[/URL]No[URL="http://javascript<strong></strong>://"](Report Inappropriate Review)[/URL](Report Inappropriate Review)

Share this Review:

Overall Rating:
    rating.gif
    2out of5

mediocre at best,
    June 30, 2011

By IWanaGoFishing from Chesapeake Bay

from Chesapeake Bay

Disadvantages: Performance, Durability, poor drag system

"Picked up one of these two years ago. I fish with it about once every 3-4 months. The drag is terrible. It's incredibly jerkey and uneven. After my last trip, I'm finally fed up and replacing it."

How many times a month do you fish on average? 2
    Do you own a boat? Yes

spacer.gif

Overall Rating:
    4 out of 5
    4 out of 5
    Good Choice,
    March 8, 2009
    By Kingofallanglers
    from New Jersey
    (read all my reviews)(read all my reviews)
    "I purchased this reel after having talked to several people at Bass Pro who highly recommended it. I have used it for both casting from the inlet and fishing from the boat for sea bass and tautog. Even though we didnt want any we caught a half dozen dog fish that can give you a good fight and the reel brought them up from 60 to 75 feet with no flaws. The drag was smooth and the reel performed great. Once again the folks at Bass Pro didnt let me down. A great reel for the money . I spooled it with 30 lb. Power Pro in yellow and I love fishing with it. When I have a spare hour or two I just throw the rod in the car head over to the inlet and cast jigs or some clams for sea bass or fluke and have loads of fun. Just a super purchase. All I can say is keep up the good work Bass Pro Shops. You are the best!"
    Do you own a boat? No
    Would you recommend this product as a gift? Yes
    1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
    Was this review helpful to you?YesNo(Report Inappropriate Review

Overall Rating:
    4 out of 5
    4 out of 5
    great reel,
    February 10, 2009
    By amartinez
    from Port Mansfield, Tx
    "i have had this reel for about three years and counting. the reel performs great out in the bay or fishing out at the coast. i have used for surf fishing and it got a little ruff, but a good cleaning and it was back to new"
    How many times a month do you fish on average? 5+
    Do you own a boat? Yes
    Was this review helpful to you?YesNo(Report Inappropriate Review)

Overall Rating:
    5 out of 5
    5 out of 5
    great reel,
    September 30, 2008
    By matlachafisherman
    from Fort Myers, FL
    "i have used the 2000 and it has worked fantastic i have caught redfish, trout, snook, and some red, black, and gag groupers and the reel has worked great!"
    Do you own a boat? Yes

Overall Rating:
    5 out of 5
    5 out of 5
    Outstanding!!!,
    July 28, 2008
    By Anonymous
    from Sterling, VA
    "I bought one of these (OM2000) on 7/18/08 and used them everyday in the Hampton Roads area. We caught tautog, black sea bass, flounder and speckled trout all day long for 5 days straight. I love this reel. An excellent value for the money and it worked flawlessly."
    What is your favorite type of fishing? Freshwater
    Do you own a boat? No

Overall Rating:
    5 out of 5
    5 out of 5
    Good Deal,
    July 19, 2008
    By Anonymous
    from Jensen Beach, Fl.
    "Have used the rod & reel combo on the ICW flats, the Keys and Flamingo this year (boat & kayak) and so far I'm very happy with this reels performance. Big snook, reds and trout have been no problem on the "OM2000".
    It's no "Calcutta", but for the money, you can't beat it!!"
    Do you own a boat? Yes

Overall Rating:
    5 out of 5
    5 out of 5
    June 13, 2008
    By FishaholicDonny
    from Stuart, Florida
    Reviewer Images
    (click to see full-size image)
    User submitted photo
    "I have been looking to get a new saltwater baitcaster for a long time now.But I didnt have a a heck of a lot of cash to drop on one.I've looked at the Ocean Master for awhile but I figured for the price that it wasnt going to last.After a trip to the Bass Pro and talking to a few people that work there I desided to take a chance.Let me tell you I am so happy that I did.This is one of the best reels that I have ever had.I have cought snook,group,jacks,trout and huge sailcats.This reel cats great and the drag is sooo smooth.I have it spooled with 30 pound Power Pro and I put the live bait handle on it.This is the reel to have if you dont want to drop a load of cash.I'll be getting another one soon."
    Do you own a boat? No

Overall Rating:
    5 out of 5
    5 out of 5
    Excellent Choice,
    June 5, 2008
    By Hemel
    Reviewer Images
    (click to see full-size image)
    User submitted photo
    "I just bought this reel the 2000 model, I was a little worry about the casting because of the backlash, but follwing the tips about setting the lure weight and the brake system I casted like a pro. This would be my favorite reel from now on, I plan to buy another one soon."
    How many times a month do you fish on average? Less than 1
    Do you own a boat? No
    1 of 1 people found this review helpful.

There are 13 pages of reviews for that reel Gary...Seems like a lot of folks are quite happy with it...

Not too bad for a $99 "knock off." Again, not everyone can afford a Calcutta...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
    A Googan is an unsophisticated consumer who looks at your reel and sees it as equivalent to that Shimano.

And that is nonsense.

Bass Pro wants everyones dollars and does not give a rodents behind if any of their small business competition survives.

And they want $8M of everyone else's money who will never go there to get them there as well. :grin

We don't want everyone's dollars, just our share of them...:wink

We continually refer our customers to businesses that provide products or services we can't at the store...Mainly smaller local businesses and that's includes fishing, boating, hiking, archery...

Not to mention American Rod & Gun...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • PowerhousePowerhouse Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Spent 3 hrs in the BPS here in Orlando today with the wife. It was nice to see a wide variety of different things. Looking forward to having one closer to home.
    Joe

2002 Hurricane 196 Fundeck-2002 Yamaha 115

efb1e8b8-d16e-4a72-be83-5f5dcba5d540_zpsam1yfgmv.jpg
  • ericfericf Posts: 444 Deckhand
    Nice places to wander aimlessly at lunch hour, or spend gift cards that relatives get you. Place you can get hands-on with electronics and reels without feeling bad about wasting someone's time.

Otherwise, local stores are generally more convenient and have more relevant local inventory. In South FL there was a BPS (bought Seaguar fluoro there to save 3-4 bucks a spool), but I gave 90% of my business to Carl's and other local shops. They have fresh gogs, fresh ballyhoo, home-made jigheads that float just right for yellowtails, great ice/chum selection, good hours, etc. Bass Pro Shops will never have that stuff, they will always have just have enough of the mainstream things. No one is going to stop at Bass Pro on the way to the ramp in the morning (or the night before) to spend $100-$200 on ice, chum, baits, terminal tackle, etc. They have some of the terminal tackle but their selection of everything else is just too aloof and googany.

Big retailers do a lot of business, but I think at this point they are more in competition with online catalog houses than local shops. The days of everyone going to a local shop to buy name brand reels have been killed by the internet. Rods on the other hand are a little more regionally specialized and more custom entries exist.

Smaller shops have a place, and they always will. There are a thousand things they do well that no big retailer could ever do.

As far as government subsidies for opening places like these, if they can guarantee creating X number of jobs that is just what is going to happen. Do I want my money spent on it? I'd rather see it spent on something else, but it is what it is.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • CaptainBarryCaptainBarry Posts: 151 Officer
    I get my tackle from FISH , Gator Jim's, Southeastern and several local bait shops in St. Pete. Most decent reels are price protected so it doesn't matter where you get them. If I want to kill a couple hours, eat a pretzel, and talk to a 17 year old fishing department manager who just moved here from New Jersey 3 months ago and has no knowledge of any of the products he's selling I will go to BPS. BPS will create plenty of $8 an hour jobs. I have been in BPS all across the country on probably 30 occasions and bought several food items and a Starbucks coffee. And both Gator Jim's and Southeastern have plenty of lower end reels if you really need a bargain. Bett's has a way better selection of Mirrolure products and a better variety of jig heads than any BPS I've ever been in. To put it simply, I already have everything I need through my local shops.
    6858649558_117861d680_n.jpg
    I get my tackle from FISH , Gator Jim's, Southeastern and several local bait shops in St. Pete. Most decent reels are price protected so it doesn't matter where you get them. If I want to kill a couple hours, eat a pretzel, and talk to a 17 year old fishing department manager who just moved here from New Jersey 3 months ago and has no knowledge of any of the products he's selling I will go to BPS. BPS will create plenty of $8 an hour jobs. I have been in BPS all across the country on probably 30 occasions and bought several food items and a Starbucks coffee. And both Gator Jim's and Southeastern have plenty of lower end reels if you really need a bargain. Bett's has a way better selection of Mirrolure products and a better variety of jig heads than any BPS I've ever been in. To put it simply, I already have everything I need through my local shops.

I've never been to those local shops, I will be checking them out this week.
    Joe

Cpt Barry. What is FISH? I couldn't find it on google.
    Joe

• drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Thanks.
    Joe

Now that you mention it, the Tighline's Tackles and the Minnows and Monsters, etc of Tampa were all sent their merry ways because of BPS.

THanks for the heads up MM on the F.I.S.H. recomendation.........I never heard of it
  • greg123168greg123168 Posts: 271 Deckhand
    cpr wrote: »
    Not a fan of BPS, local shop, bridgemaster, always beat their prices. I go to Orlando once a year and get some gun stuff I can't find locally. But it's not BPS that put the crimp in the small shop it's the internet.

Bridgemasters is good if you like bass fishing....but saltwater...no way, I drive to Bass Pro Shop just because they always have what I need, Bass Pro does suck for customer service though.
    2018 shearwater 27
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,026 AG

THanks for the heads up MM on the F.I.S.H. recomendation.........I never heard of it
    There's also Dogfish Tackle and Bett's Fishing center. Two great tackle shops that are worth the trip.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Powerhouse wrote: »
    Cpt Barry. What is FISH? I couldn't find it on google.

Fisherman's Ideal Supply House....in is off of Baypines/TOm Stuart Causeway on the way to Maderia Beach...great bunch of guys...as is:
    Dogfish Park & Starkey
    Betts Starkey
    Holy Macherel 49th Street

and many others

When possible please always support the local guys....it is worth a few more dollars, to get personal and often immediate service on the costly products we use and submit to extreme conditions...

This ain't bass fishing here....salt, sand and fish that make most bass look like bait...puts a beating on our stuff....rather deal with Dave or Eroc as opposed ot the Welcome to Walmart guy or the kid at the counter at BPS....

Same as mush as possible goes for West Marine....whenever possible I use Cost Plus on Mad Beach.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 304 Deckhand
    I always stop at FISH on my way to get deep sea fish!