Slaying the trout with Sureset Jigs!

I had an absolute blast today fishing with Eddie (Lightackleking). I haven't fished in about 3 weeks and wanted to go fishing so bad. We both fished from our kayaks in some creeks and caught over 50 trout with the biggest to 23" and we both had our limits easily. we could have easily caught 100+ if the wind wasn't so bad. I only caught trout while Eddie had his slam with flounder and reds too. D.J cabler joined towards the end of the trip and he caught a whole bunch of trout too.

Eddie is the best trout fisherman I've ever seen. After we lauched, before even I made my first cast, he caught and released 3 trout! He uses a 500 size reel with 2lb test and absolutely slays the trout on it. I probably would snap the line just casting a 2 lb mono. Today I could see why he is the jaxkayak Slam winner last year and catches so many fish, he is very SKILLED. He was very kind to show me his tactics and in no time I was catching 'em too. I can catch reds and flounder but trout is something I have never chased and today I'm a new addict to trout fishing with arties!

Guys, I usually never recommend any products unless I'm absolutely pleased with. All you jig fishermen, you got to give Sureset Jigs a try. They are sharp, sturdy and very well made. Brown's and Rick's has them.

Here is the picture of my limit.

IMG_1683.jpg

Eddie and I

IMG_1674.jpg

Here is a picture all lures i caught trout on. All lures except the DOA shrimp were paired with 1/8 oz or 1/16 oz sureset jigs.

IMG_1689.jpg

Arun.

Replies

• Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Nice haul there bud.
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • BooyuhkaBooyuhka Posts: 210 Officer
    Sounds and looks like a great day fishing!
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,327 Officer
    very informative.....never tried 2lb test in my life!!! maybe i should.
  • JizzoJizzo Posts: 1,362 Officer
    ... a lesson from the trout master. :)
    -Jon
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Good report.

And i'm kinda like you Arun.Not one to really recommend products as to me all of them work.I picked up my first Sureset Jigheads last week.QUALITY product for sure.

A 500 size reel.I'm sure there has to be times he has to reel like a mad man to keep up with fish running towards him.Lol.Can't have much more fun than using ultralight gear.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,146 Admiral
    Nice work! You really love you some Eddie huh? (j/k around :))
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • jacqueojacqueo Posts: 1,270 Officer
    I was wondering where you were! Haven't seen your posts in a while. Glad to hear you're still out there. :) Great report and I'm sure you had a deeeee-lish dineer too! Yummy trout!
    Yes, as a matter of fact I DO fish... like a girl. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LightTackleKingLightTackleKing Posts: 160 Officer
    Def was a great time on the water with Arun, He is good people and a great fisherman. Wish we could have gotten you on that slab but maybe next time.. Yeah I do lose fish when they run to me because I cant keep up.. Its all good tho just out there to have a good time!!
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Yeah I do lose fish when they run to me because I cant keep up.. Its all good tho just out there to have a good time!!

What kind of reel/gear ratio you use LTK?Your probably able to feel the bite before it even happens with such a light outfit.

Gotta be a blast lost fish or not.

And with that kind of gear you need "Ultra" in front of your nic.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • subcreepsubcreep Posts: 282 Officer
    Nice report! I need to find some of those keeper trout, all I have found over the last week were little ones.
    “Still one thing more, fellow citizens–a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” Thomas Jefferson 1801
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Df9qT.jpg

What is that one I circled, that looks like something I would gobble up were I a fish.
  • FinReaperFinReaper Posts: 198 Deckhand
    nice catchin fellas!
    I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach:grin
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Nice haul there bud.
    Thanks Tony!
    Booyuhka wrote: »
    Sounds and looks like a great day fishing!
    It was. The wind was bothering us though.. especially on a kayak.
    Snatch-Um wrote: »
    very informative.....never tried 2lb test in my life!!! maybe i should.
    It looked like it would take really some time to get used to that light a tackle but definitely you get more bites. I would start from 6 lb test and work my way down.
    Jizzo wrote: »
    ... a lesson from the trout master. :)
    He is the trout master indeed. It almosat looked like he could talk to them to bite.
    Good report.

And i'm kinda like you Arun.Not one to really recommend products as to me all of them work.I picked up my first Sureset Jigheads last week.QUALITY product for sure.

A 500 size reel.I'm sure there has to be times he has to reel like a mad man to keep up with fish running towards him.Lol.Can't have much more fun than using ultralight gear.
    They are great Jigs Indeed. I really hope Sureset Jigs can make sheepshead jigs in the future.

Nice work! You really love you some Eddie huh? (j/k around :))
    Thanks! Lol.. not more than you love yourself Tony!
    jacqueo wrote: »
    I was wondering where you were! Haven't seen your posts in a while. Glad to hear you're still out there. :) Great report and I'm sure you had a deeeee-lish dineer too! Yummy trout!
    yeah, I haven't been out fishing at all. Was good to get out yesterday. Yeah, fried Trout is as good as it gets and my kids love 'em!
    Def was a great time on the water with Arun, He is good people and a great fisherman. Wish we could have gotten you on that slab but maybe next time.. Yeah I do lose fish when they run to me because I cant keep up.. Its all good tho just out there to have a good time!!
    Thanks Eddie! Was a great time out. Hope to get my first gator next time. Will get together again soon!
    subcreep wrote: »
    Nice report! I need to find some of those keeper trout, all I have found over the last week were little ones.
    What I learned from Eddie is that if you keep catching the small ones, move away and try a different spot. The school of small ones stay away from the bigger ones mainly to not get eaten by them. Trout are cannibalistic.
    Df9qT.jpg

What is that one I circled, that looks like something I would gobble up were I a fish.
    That is a Berkely Powerbait saltwater Jerkshad. Works real well in clear water rigged on a very light weedless hook when the fish are very wary.Academy has them. Here is a link to the product on bass pro shops.
    http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Saltwater-Power-Jerk-Shad/product/59448/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=17kw3123383&SST=52f7bb80-5694-c868-ba54-00000604ae9f
    FinReaper wrote: »
    nice catchin fellas!
    Thanks Buddy!
    Arun.
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    Nice trout and great report, Arun! You and I need to get out there some time!
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    ...for those deepwater Sheeps.
    Nice trout and great report, Arun! You and I need to get out there some time!

Thanks buddy. The time for big Sheeps is just around the corner. But right now I'm chasing the trout on my kayak. Trout fishing on Arties especially chasing the big loaners takes skill for sure. I hope to become a great trout fisherman one day!

Arun.
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Fishing for food!!! nice work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dble-downdble-down Posts: 518 Officer
    Arun, you are the man, nice catch. I use 30# power pro in salt water and 60# power pro on bass, LOL, I may not catch a lot of fish but I don't lose lures .
  • mrtopwatermrtopwater Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Arun
    you are a great fisherman and I know it will not take you long to master the Gator Trout.
    Congrats to you and Eddie on a great day of fishing.
    Kevin:USA
    Fishing for food!!! nice work.
    Thanks! Very few Inshore fish can beat a freshly caught and cooked speckled trout. Great eating for sure!
    dble-down wrote: »
    Arun, you are the man, nice catch. I use 30# power pro in salt water and 60# power pro on bass, LOL, I may not catch a lot of fish but I don't lose lures .
    Thanks! You are absolutely right about using heavy lines. Some of the expensive lures I only cast with heavy line. Kinda breaks your heart to lose it on a snag or to a toothy critter!
    mrtopwater wrote: »
    Arun
    you are a great fisherman and I know it will not take you long to master the Gator Trout.
    Congrats to you and Eddie on a great day of fishing.
    Thanks Kevin! You have been on the fish too like always. Hope to see you one the water someday!

Arun.