Snook Pictures

Visited Homosassa Springs on Thursday to check out the fish in the spring and the manatees. I know it a long drive' a hour and a half, for me but it was worth the trip. My Mom buys me a State Park annual pass each year so I can get in at no charge.

Mostly fish in the spring were large school of snook and Mango snapper. There were maybe 2 dozens manatees in the area but they were scatter here and there.

I notice something today, they have great hearing. I am probably 6 feet below the surface watching the snook swimming by when a helicopter flew over. It spooked the snook, they were going in every direction. When it flew over again the same reaction. Make you wonder if a passing boat out on the gulf would spook them that bad?

Here some pictures. The pictures came out great for taking the photos though dirty windows.

HomasassaSprings016.jpg

HomasassaSprings017.jpg

HomasassaSprings011.jpg

HomasassaSprings013.jpg

HomasassaSprings099.jpg

HomasassaSprings098.jpg

HomasassaSprings008-1.jpg

HomasassaSprings009.jpg

A few of the many animals pictures I took.

HomasassaSprings055.jpg

HomasassaSprings058.jpg

HomasassaSprings089.jpg

HomasassaSprings074.jpg

Replies

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,703 Captain
    I love that place Moon. It's but a couple miles from our place and we also have an annual pass to the State parks. We go when people visit us from out of state.

Thanks for the pictures. And they do need to clean the glass.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    How many of the snook did you catch? :D
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice pics Moon, I do think the Snook and other fish can be easily spooked. I always try to shut the engine down early and use the trolling motor for the rest of the way, lessor of 2 evils.
  • redeye76redeye76 Posts: 429 Deckhand
    As usual great pics Moon. Interesting on the snook spooking when the chopper went over. Have been told many times by folks that should know that loud talking on the water makes no difference just noises on the boat, i.e. locker lids dropped shut, tackle boxes slid around, etc. But with the chopper overhead spooking them makes me wonder.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,435 Captain
    They can only hear low frequency sound. Like chopper thump or somebody dropping something on the floor of a boat. Normal conversation won't spook fish unless you're fishing with somebody with a voice like James Earl Jones. :grin

I can never get good pictures through the green slime on the windows.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Great to see those snook in greater numbers. Nice pics Moon.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,820 Captain
    Nice Photos as always Moon!!! How big do you think they were? They all look purdy much the same size maybe 10lbs~15lbs??? Were there any GIANTs in there?
    On the noise scarring snuke, I fished w/ a guy down in the 10,000 islands a couple times who was considered the Master of catching Big Snuke down there!!!> {many over 30lbs and a couple over 40lbs!!!} He told me that even a trolling motor would scare the big ones away!!! He told me> "Poling is good> drifting or anchoring was better and wading was best when possible!!"
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 874 Officer
    Nice Photos as always Moon!!! How big do you think they were? They all look purdy much the same size maybe 10lbs~15lbs??? Were there any GIANTs in there?
    On the noise scarring snuke, I fished w/ a guy down in the 10,000 islands a couple times who was considered the Master of catching Big Snuke down there!!!> {many over 30lbs and a couple over 40lbs!!!} He told me that even a trolling motor would scare the big ones away!!! He told me> "Poling is good> drifting or anchoring was better and wading was best when possible!!"

There were some very big on mixed in with them. One had to be over 30 lbs. I only saw one red and a huge Jack swimming with the snook.

These guys were on the big side.

HomasassaSprings094.jpg
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,887 Moderator
    Lots of fish frys swimming there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,911 Admiral
    They had volunteer divers that used to clean but some type of issue(insurance perhaps) shut them down, and I don't think there is much money available to hire a professional.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    That place is very cool considering the small town it is attached to. About 20 years ago my dad donated a two headed turtle and they had it on display up until about 4 years ago when it finally died. Great pic once again MS!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • gregdowning14gregdowning14 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    worlds best fishing hole