11/28 Dead manatee, gag grouper, and tripletail

Replies

• FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    The manatee left for St. Pete this morning, and the gag is getting shipped there. Necropsy may start today, and will be completed by tomorrow. Any abnormalities will need biopsies, and that could take a week or so. Pretty rare to see a younger manatee with no external injuries. And they usually smell a LOT worse.
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    FWCSnook wrote: »
    The manatee and fish came into the lab yesterday. I will keep you all informed as to the results of the necropsy, as well as any info from the gag. No, there are no conspiracies at the FWC lab. Just honest scientists doing good work every day. I will also let you know if the manatee comes back as a zombie. Just sayin'....

There might be a market for a show "The Swimming Dead".
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Officer
    The manatee left for St. Pete this morning, and the gag is getting shipped there. Necropsy may start today, and will be completed by tomorrow. Any abnormalities will need biopsies, and that could take a week or so. Pretty rare to see a younger manatee with no external injuries. And they usually smell a LOT worse.

Thanks for the update! If this was found in the St Lucie I think we all would have a better guess. But who knows till the results come in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • telecaster71telecaster71 Posts: 116 Deckhand
    I was diving breakers reef yesterday 65 feet and saw a dead cobia around 25 inches and nothing wrong with it
    no spear holes nothing in its mouth or throat and still had great color
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer

Do you have a species ID on the tripletail/tilapia?
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Snook87, I got a reponse from Ed and he wants to be kept informed and will follow-up on Monday. Shoot me your email address and I will get you hooked up so you can communicate together. My address is [email protected].
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
    Snook87, I got a reponse from Ed and he wants to be kept informed and will follow-up on Monday. Shoot me your email address and I will get you hooked up so you can communicate together. My address is [email protected].

Okay will do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 806 Officer
    how can the water being released into the St.Luice River cause something to die at Peanut Island. ????
    how can the water being released into the St.Luice River cause something to die at Peanut Island. ????

Because it can't. This had nothing to do with the St Lucie but if this happened in the St Licie then we would assume it would be caused by the bad water. Haven't heard anything yet as to the cause.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are also canals running into Lake Worth Lagoon. Same nasty water.
    There are also canals running into Lake Worth Lagoon. Same nasty water.

that's for sure .... BUT that water is sort of ''home grown''....the water that came down from the Kissimmee valley and lake O was not as bad as the stuff we are producing in our suburbs ......effects on the salinity i'll agree with, but ''nasty'',??? I want to see tests on water coming over the spillway as opposed to water hanging around town for a while..
    that's for sure .... BUT that water is sort of ''home grown''....the water that came down from the Kissimmee valley and lake O was not as bad as the stuff we are producing in our suburbs ......effects on the salinity i'll agree with, but ''nasty'',??? I want to see tests on water coming over the spillway as opposed to water hanging around town for a while..

While the canal waters are probably "nastier" than the Lake O water, we also get a lot of pesticide/fertilizer run-off from the farms up there.
    most farming is done south of the lake...the land that the river drains is mostly used for cattle ranching.. what ever type of agriculture is being done ,it can't hold a candle to the amount of fertilizer/pesticides that are used locally for homes and golf courses......take a peek into Admirals Cove [for instance] and look at the lawns,swales and shrubbery...do you know how they get it looking so good ????
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I agree with your "critical thinking" here, for sure, but I do suspect that runoff from homes that fertilize 1-2x a year, and treat for pest maybe the same, is less than the spillways from Lake O and the farms... My neighbor that has lived on the Lox for 45 years said before they opened up all the canals the water behind our houses was blue, the bottom was white to near white, and the sea-grass was THICK... Tarpon and Snook were everywhere...

I'm not saying your point about residential runoff isn't part of the problem, I'm sure it is, but dumping millions of gallons for months on end, I do suspect is a greater impact. I was just starting to get sea-grass at my dock this summer, again, after the last dumping, and now after all the dumping these last 90-120 days, it's 100% nasty brown mud bottom... No sea-grass = no future fish...

But, I fully agree, testing of all areas, all times, for scientific data and comparisons is needed, along with a long term plan to protect the ecosystems, our estuaries, and ocean is very much needed...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
    the sea grass ,and a lot of other things , are certainly effected by the lower salinity caused by the release of water.......but it rained a whole big bunch and there is still water flowing this way from the center of the state... my back yard in martin county still has 2'' of water in places....i'm sure this occurrence has happened before thru the centuries ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    the sea grass ,and a lot of other things , are certainly effected by the lower salinity caused by the release of water.......but it rained a whole big bunch and there is still water flowing this way from the center of the state... my back yard in martin county still has 2'' of water in places....i'm sure this occurrence has happened before thru the centuries ..

Modern Agriculture (use of chemicals) is more recent than some might be aware...
    http://palmm.fcla.edu/feol/pathfinder_flag.shtml

Additionally, most of the "discharge canals" are far newer than some may believe as well...
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=lake+okeechobee+discharge+canals+history&oq=lake+okeechobee+discharge+canals+history&gs_l=hp.3...879.15305.0.15662.44.42.2.0.0.0.178.3330.33j9.42.0.les%3Bernk_cprob..0.0...1.1.YoDDhphF8V4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=590195a7cf0fc162&bpcl=39580677&biw=1366&bih=705

One thing I'm sure we'll all agree to is, it is a problem, and needs to be addressed...
    snook87 wrote: »

do you have any idea what the dairy farms have been made to do since and even before 2005??

seems like where ever I've been on the east coast ,99% of the pollution problems are always blamed on the farmers ...
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,486 Captain
    I have to attest to this, dairy farmers and ranchers always get the rap for these phosphorous issues in the St. Lucie. I probably have more experiance then anyone on here regarding the precautions that dairy farmers in the Okeechobee area have had to put in place, which include a zero run off barrier around their farms. What people fail to realize is where all the water in Lake Okeechobee comes from? Try Orlando. Where do you think all those tourists waste go, or all that runoff? Right down the Kissimmee, but you never hear of anybody blaming old Mickey do ya? $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Farmers and ranchers have become an easy target through the years but they are by far not the biggest culprit. I can tell you that there is nothing more that ranchers and farmers care about then the environment, its how they put food on the table, they have no incentive to abuse or misuse their land. These guys are so heavily regulated by SFWMD, EPA, DEP, FDACS, USDA, nothing gets buy them.
    Sorry to derail, but got to defend guys that are trying to do the right thing. Its wasy to point fingers sitting on the coast, but until you are out here and really see what is going on you really can't pass judgement.
    FLDXT wrote: »
    I have to attest to this, dairy farmers and ranchers always get the rap for these phosphorous issues in the St. Lucie. I probably have more experiance then anyone on here regarding the precautions that dairy farmers in the Okeechobee area have had to put in place, which include a zero run off barrier around their farms. What people fail to realize is where all the water in Lake Okeechobee comes from? Try Orlando. Where do you think all those tourists waste go, or all that runoff? Right down the Kissimmee, but you never hear of anybody blaming old Mickey do ya? $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Farmers and ranchers have become an easy target through the years but they are by far not the biggest culprit. I can tell you that there is nothing more that ranchers and farmers care about then the environment, its how they put food on the table, they have no incentive to abuse or misuse their land. These guys are so heavily regulated by SFWMD, EPA, DEP, FDACS, USDA, nothing gets buy them.
    Sorry to derail, but got to defend guys that are trying to do the right thing. Its wasy to point fingers sitting on the coast, but until you are out here and really see what is going on you really can't pass judgement.

Good observations and alternative thinking for sure... Either way, we need to dig into all of the causes and come up with solution(s)....
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,486 Captain
    LastMango wrote: »
    Good observations and alternative thinking for sure... Either way, we need to dig into all of the causes and come up with solution(s)....
    Agreed for sure...I just hate seeing the blame be put solely on agriculture's back when they are doing everything possible to rectify any chance of their practices contaminating any water supply, this includes spending millions of dollars to contain 100% of their run off.
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    I blame farmers.
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • Island JackIsland Jack Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    FLDXT- great post and that is something that I have been thinking a lot about over the years. You have the whole greater Orlando area and all surrounding counties that basically just paved over their watershed so where is all that water gonna go, right down Shingle Creek and into the Kissimmee River...This is a statewide problem. Martin County has a very conservative growth plan, and the result is arguably some stunted economic growth, but the payoff is quality of life. Yet, Orlando and surrounding areas are growth and build at all cost over the past 10 years (those rolling hills in Clermont sure look nice with houses built all over them) changes the whole entire watershed of what comes down the pipe to us. The overdevelopment of Orlando area has saturated the Kissimmee River with filthy water that gets dumped into Lake O, so now Lake O takes on more water, more unfiltered water than it should. It's nice that the K river is being rerouted but too much water is coming down the pipe due to the lack of watershed in Central Florida.
    It's a problem that the whole state has yet, 2 counties (on east and west coast) are the ones paying the price....reason number 1001 that I despise Mickey...
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    There are two books anyone with interest in this subject should read: The Swamp by Michael Grunwald tells the story of the destruction of the Everglades by The Army Corps of Engineers and greedy developers, who, with the blessing of The Corps. destroyed this ecosystem in the last 100 years. Also, Paving Paradise: Florida's Vanishing Wetlands and The Failure of No Net Loss. By Craig Pittman and Matthew Waite. How The Corps. has allowed the destruction of Florida's wetlands by developers for many decades...
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
    about the time talk began about putting the river back to it's original oxbow shape, i came across a book by the name ''The Swamp''..written by Bill Thomas,published in 1976 by W.W.Norton & Co.....on page 12 Thomas writes..''In the 1960s,at the cost of $30 million,the Kissimmee River,which drains the Orlando,Florida area,was ''improved to accommodate the giant amusement complex of Disney World''....it got my attention because they wanted me and you to pay for this repair job....i researched Thomas's writings and found out he was pretty right on the money......Disney looked at a few other sites[including P.B. county] but chose the Green Swamp area when promised the river would be channelized ..I thought Disney & Co. should pay for most of the cost to repair the river and tried to find more about this ''deal''.....seems like the few living people who were involved forgot about the goings on and some said it was for the benefit of the ranches on the river....no doubt the ranches made out for the better, but no wheres near Disney and the Orlando area......seems the disney/river deal has been buried now and was hush-hush back then.....Thomas commented in his book about the polluted water flow going into the lake in 1975 from Orlando...He should see Orlando today !
    ***UPDATE***
    Just recieved a phone call from the Manatee Division of the results of the dead manatee and grouper. The FWC found that the manatee died as a result of a watercraft strike and a toxicology report will be forwarded via email but takes additional time. Since the Manatee's initial cause of death was a result of a strike the grouper's results will not assist in the investigation. Water quality information was not available but sounded like it okay(assuming). Will update later of the toxicology report. Further Information can be found by calling the FWRI at 561-882-5962
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Thanks for the update.

Not to derail too much, but did anyone experience some very brave seaturtles offshore this weekend? First turtle we encountered let us get within 5ft of it before sinking. Second turtle we nearly ran over going 30mph since we didn't see it until it was right in front of the boat, had to make a hard turn to get clear. Our eyes were looking at a nice center console with quads passing by.

Cause of death of manatee reminded me of this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
    Thanks for the update.

Not to derail too much, but did anyone experience some very brave seaturtles offshore this weekend? First turtle we encountered let us get within 5ft of it before sinking. Second turtle we nearly ran over going 30mph since we didn't see it until it was right in front of the boat, had to make a hard turn to get clear. Our eyes were looking at a nice center console with quads passing by.

Cause of death of manatee reminded me of this.

AutoPilot = AutoDeath
    rob murphy, manatees, turtles, other divers, other boats...always keep eyes on the water!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    snook87 wrote: »
    AutoPilot = AutoDeath
    rob murphy, manatees, turtles, other divers, other boats...always keep eyes on the water!

Yea boat doesn't have auto pilot. I think you missed my question, but don't worry about it.

I'd be lying if I said I've never scanned the water looking for weeds/debris in other directions and not just in front of me. In fact, this happens everytime I'm offshore. Common sense is all that is needed to be safe on the water against other boats/divers. Can't help when a turtle pops up out of nowhere and you have seconds to react. That's why I only scan the water for a couple of seconds at a time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
    Yea boat doesn't have auto pilot. I think you missed my question, but don't worry about it.

I'd be lying if I said I've never scanned the water looking for weeds/debris in other directions and not just in front of me. In fact, this happens everytime I'm offshore. Common sense is all that is needed to be safe on the water against other boats/divers. Can't help when a turtle pops up out of nowhere and you have seconds to react. That's why I only scan the water for a couple of seconds at a time.
    \

i know what you mean, but there are those who turn on autopilot and walk away doing other stuff. kinda like texting and driving and we all have done it. some things you just cant help to avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]