Cedar Key 11/27

Hit Cedar Key around 10:30 to find a lake. Little to no wind, water semi-muddy and water temps around 60º. Heard Poppadock was out there and already had a few fish in the box, so we pressed on to our spots. LOTS of those 14 1/2 inchers. :banghead
Trying gulps on jigheads and under cajun thunders we finally managed 6 keeper trout and surprisingly two keeper seabass at 13 inches. Most came with the jigheads. Boat is still running great although my GPSmap 162 is hit or miss. Seems like a bad connection although I changed ends to battery. Finally got it to turn on and it ran the rest of the day with no issue :huh
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 887 Officer
    Nice cooler shot. WTG on catching the fish.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice trout Flashy--what channel do you stay on?/ Same as Wac Bay or diff.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    nice day flash
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    :hungry looks like dinner to me, nice work Flash
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,162 AG
    PONCE wrote: »
    Nice trout Flashy--what channel do you stay on?/ Same as Wac Bay or diff.

16 or 68. If I remember the Wac used 14. Oh and Cell Phone if I expect to reach Poppadock. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Good lookin fish. It's makin me hungry.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,938 Moderator
    Nice bunch of fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    What No "Net Person" photo/report??? Ya don't even say if the "Better Half" was out there wicha???? Ah> Nice cooler shot tho!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Good looking fish Flash....Nope no action shots...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    What No "Net Person" photo/report??? Ya don't even say if the "Better Half" was out there wicha???? Ah> Nice cooler shot tho!!!

I can't go with out her. :grin
    I probably caught more overall fish, she managed more keeper trout, while I got the Sea Bass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sub SailorSub Sailor Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Flash wrote: »
    my GPSmap 162 is hit or miss. Seems like a bad connection although I changed ends to battery.

Flash,

I did boat wiring commercially for decades, if you've replaced the terminals on the battery and there is a fuse in the line somewhere, try removing it and cleaning not only the fuse contacts, but the contacts in the fuse holder as well. Then if you can find some silicone grease, wipe a little on the contacts of the fuse before re-installing it. Cleaning the plug contacts at the back of the GPS anyway you can and then applying that same sort of silicone grease, may take care of the problem and will make the electrical connections last much longer. If you can't find electrical quality silicone grease, try an electrical distributor for a product called 'DE-OX'. It's made by Ilsco for the electrical industry as an anti-corrosion compound for aluminum connections. There are other compounds for this purpose, but DE-OX works best for marine electrical connections and isn't as messy as many of the other ones are. I have used it for years in every marine electrical connection I made and have found it extends the life expectancy of electrical connections by two to three times.

Of course there are other things that could cause your problem from connections internal to the GPS, to the ON/OFF switch. Clean and grease what you can and good luck!

Roger (I'm out from under my rock again! :)
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    Sub Sailor wrote: »

Of course there are other things that could cause your problem...the ON/OFF switch.

I'm guessing that's the one. :grin

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Billy wrote: »

Bill
    Bill,

You aren't suggesting 'operator error' are you? Certainly you must mean corrosion due to exposure to a marine environment, right? :)

Roger
    Flash,

I did boat wiring commercially for decades, if you've replaced the terminals on the battery and there is a fuse in the line somewhere, try removing it and cleaning not only the fuse contacts, but the contacts in the fuse holder as well. Then if you can find some silicone grease, wipe a little on the contacts of the fuse before re-installing it. Cleaning the plug contacts at the back of the GPS anyway you can and then applying that same sort of silicone grease, may take care of the problem and will make the electrical connections last much longer. If you can't find electrical quality silicone grease, try an electrical distributor for a product called 'DE-OX'. It's made by Ilsco for the electrical industry as an anti-corrosion compound for aluminum connections. There are other compounds for this purpose, but DE-OX works best for marine electrical connections and isn't as messy as many of the other ones are. I have used it for years in every marine electrical connection I made and have found it extends the life expectancy of electrical connections by two to three times.

Of course there are other things that could cause your problem from connections internal to the GPS, to the ON/OFF switch. Clean and grease what you can and good luck!

Roger (I'm out from under my rock again! :)

Checked the fuse but did not really clean the interior. Used DeoxIT on the terminals and connector to GPS. I am wondering about the fuse line that was spliced in place and wondering if it might be the issue. Either way I went ahead and ordered a new cable too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Billy wrote: »

Bill

:grin Except I have a connector for my PC and it turns on/off without a hitch. So not the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    :grin Except I have a connector for my PC and it turns on/off without a hitch. So not the problem.

:)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    another great cooler shot flash, nice to see you getting back out
    I am wondering about the fuse line that was spliced in place and wondering if it might be the issue. Either way I went ahead and ordered a new cable too.

Flash,

If you squeeze DE-OX into the barrel of any terminals or butt splices before pushing the wire ends in, then when you crimp them, that will actually seal the connection as well as if not better than the 'hot-glue' type terminals which are expensive. It is WAY better than electrical tape which always ends up leaking if exposed to moisture. I hope the new feed cable takes care of the problem for you.

Roger
    Flash,

If you squeeze DE-OX into the barrel of any terminals or butt splices before pushing the wire ends in, then when you crimp them, that will actually seal the connection as well as if not better than the 'hot-glue' type terminals which are expensive. It is WAY better than electrical tape which always ends up leaking if exposed to moisture. I hope the new feed cable takes care of the problem for you.

Roger

Well the DeoxIT I have is a spray, but can I use some dielectic grease in place of it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    I use NO-OX-ID:

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=NO-OX-ID

The stuff is amazing. I first learned about it from mining operators in Nevada where alkaline dust and leach pond acids do all sorts of damage to electrical connections. It stands up to saltwater better than anything I've tried.
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer

Look at all them fish in that cooler, Spankwad. You know dam good'n well she was out there. :grin
    Well the DeoxIT I have is a spray, but can I use some dielectic grease in place of it?

I've never seen DeoxIT spray I guess, the stuff I use is a grease and yes dielectric silicone is even better!
    Doc,

Here is the stuff I've used for years, it's intended for the same purpose, but I have always used DE-OX because it is 'cleaner' to work with than some of the other products.

http://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?kfjkff=YYiFCraGHFswVDBntVR8%2FA%3D%3D&fjjfhjhj=C%2BquuKG%2Fmm9Tngv7PEWz10h3gp8GAuy7X4lnAduPeME%3D

But dielectric silicone is even better AND cleaner to use!

Roger
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    His problem could be an I-D-10-T problem...... I have a lot of those when it comes to electrical systems.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    His problem could be an I-D-10-T problem...... I have a lot of those when it comes to anything.

FIFY Yer welcome.