11/27 SLI Fat Tuesday Pompano and more

Had a spur of the moment idea to go fishing while the weather is enjoyable and waters somewhat calm. Got to the ramp around 12:00 and the parking lot was full. The there was a line of people waiting to fillet their catch. Took a look and everyone got buckets full of small barely legal if even Spanish Mack's. Set out to my usual pompano spots just inside the St Lucie inlet, away from the flotilla of others, and spot locked and started casting. Saw Capt Dave out there and at that time he and a few others had no luck. After about 5 mins into it I am hooked up and the drag screaming off, took me a trip around the boat and got it in and it was a monster pompano, lil over 16 to fork and 3.5 lbs, Oh Yeah! Started jigging again and pick up dozens of jacks and a few snappers. Switched over to another color and get nothing but I have it a few more casts then wham the jig gets hit hard and drag screaming, a quick fight and saw it come up and another monster pomp but just a tad fatter still a lil over 16in to fork and close to 4lbs on scale. Threw it in the livewell and back casting again. Few mins later wham the drag screams almost till I get spooled. Tried to gain on it but I reel in 6 inches and it takes 8. It keeps on fighting for another 5 mins but keeps peeling drag and staying on the bottom. Finally gained on it and got it to the boat and its a monster 8lb fat black margate! Defiantly gave me a ride of unknown and figured I called it a day around 2:00.

Photo credit captain dave:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• area52area52 Posts: 518 Officer
    Great photos.
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    Cool report.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Officer
    Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Those margate are good eating too.
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Great catchin, Great pics... Thanks for the report... :applause
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    nice job on the pompano!
    Those margate are good eating too.

Yeah I've never had them before. I have seen them when diving and caught them but much smaller, didn't know the regs on them so I threw it back. I'm guessing they are comparable to black drum and sheepshead maybe?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Should have hung in there just a bit longer Jahn. I caught my first as you were still within sight pulling away, and another about 15 minutes later. Busy solo day with non-stop action. I had to let go somewhere between 40-60 jacks, a few mangroves, 2 small muttons, a catfish that stuck me with its spine, 4 ladyfish, one small sheepshead, and two chunky pomps. Busy but fun on the really light tackle.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
    Should have hung in there just a bit longer Jahn. I caught my first as you were still within sight pulling away, and another about 15 minutes later. Busy solo day with non-stop action. I had to let go somewhere between 40-60 jacks, a few mangroves, 2 small muttons, a catfish that stuck me with its spine, 4 ladyfish, one small sheepshead, and two chunky pomps. Busy but fun on the really light tackle.

Sounds like you had a good day catching! I had some other things to do so I figured since the trolling motor batteries died that was my sign to call it a day. I was more then happy getting the 2 pompano and the fight that fat margate gave me. Oh well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]