West lake near Flamingo

Hey guys pretty new here but I am asking for some help/advice, has anyone fished west lake in flamingo lately? I haven't gone there since I was a kid And the flats boat I was supposed to go fish flamingo on is giving my buddy fits. I have a 12 ft Jonboat and am thinking of west lake as fall back plan.

Any reports or good news about the lake lately?

Replies

• YakerLGYakerLG Posts: 129 Deckhand
    I am new to the area, but haven't heard anything good about west lake.I am still learning though. I caught some fish on the flats a little less than a week ago and up in the mangroves via kayak- so i would imagine that you could do the same, hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in for you. Plus, with a boat you have a lot more options that I did, good luck.
  • OviVOviV Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Do you have a trolling motor or push pole? If so, take your 12' John boat into snake bight and you will have a better time than in West Lake.
  • westywesty Posts: 130 Officer
    We fished West lake 2 weeks ago.We fished for about 2 hrs and didn't catch anything or see much bait. Decided to pull the kayaks and fish out front,and had a much better day. If you can get over by snake bight you'll do much better.If you cant get on the flats, just fish the channels and runoffs with a jighead and gulp shrimp,or jighead and a piece shrimp. Just work it slow on the bottom the water is cold.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,222 Officer
    West lake is a dead zone.

Algae Bloom killed that place off years ago with the combination of fresh water intrusion.

Snake bight and Christian Point will be your best bet.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    fresh water .

Saltwater.

What west lake experiences almost every year, except possibly this one due to solid rainy season, is the same reason the plug was put into Buttonwood at the marina back in the late 80's.
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    Like what everyone said. Don't waste your time. unfortunately it's no good anymore. If you do decide to go anyway go all the way to the back. Try your luck there.
    Try Nine Mile Pond or Hells Bay
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I fished west lake about 3 years ago if you decide to fish it go all the way to the back and fish behind the island . When we fished it we found lots of big snook sitting in the bank and if its an outgoing fish the creek good,luck
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
  • mattbassmastermattbassmaster Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    **** I didn't know that west lake really went downhill like that, I have only a trolling motor and no outboard, Out of hells bay snake bight and nine mile pond, what would be my best bet for big snook, or big reds?
    I really appreciate the feedback too guys
    Snake bight might be a long ride if you dont have atleast 3 batteries but look on the map and hit Christian Point. Everything else is garbage.

Try **** Bay/Buttonwood
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    Snake bight might be a long ride if you dont have atleast 3 batteries but look on the map and hit Christian Point. Everything else is garbage.

Try **** Bay/Buttonwood

he said he only has a trolling motor. are you hard of reading?! you think he's gonna make it to **** Bay? if that's all you got I wouldn't bother, really.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Deckhand
    There is nothing in 9 mile pond, try the front and borrow some oars in case bat goes dead and see if you see a yellow kayak
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
    try the lake in front of the Ernest Coe visitors station. If that doesnt work, try hiking down Rowdy Bend with a Red Flyer with all your tackle. You will end up in Snake Bight on foot.
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 653 Officer
    Saltwater.

What west lake experiences almost every year, except possibly this one due to solid rainy season, is the same reason the plug was put into Buttonwood at the marina back in the late 80's.

What does this guy know? :signs

I fished west lake about 3 years ago if you decide to fish it go all the way to the back and fish behind the island .

:Agree This is what I was told many years ago as well.
    Let me know if there is a catfish tourney this year