Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Best Line for my 8wt

SnookChaser42SnookChaser42 Posts: 57 Deckhand
Hi, I know this topic has come up a thousand times before and I wouldn't normally ask it again, except I can't look it up since the old site crashed. So my question (in your opinion) what is the best fly line on the market for a fairly fast action rod (hardy zane)? I finally was able to find the right reel for the rod and now need the right line for the reel. This will be my first time buying line for an 8wt and am looking for a wf f line. If I remember correctly, the last time this question was posted, the Airflo Bonefish Ridge line was a unanimous favorite, but I might be mistaken. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• paint it blackpaint it black Posts: 138 Officer
    I love my Wulff Triangle Taper that I have on my 8wt.
    I have the Airflo on my 9wt and hate it.
    It cast and feels great, but it tangles up like I've never seen before.
    It likes to wrap around my hand mid cast as well.
    I have been frustrated to see a fish eat my fly and take off and then find this giant mess of tangled line make it to the guide and the fish pop loose.

My buddy has the Airflo on his 8wt and he's thinking about switching back to the Triangle Taper as well.
    Although, I was told it's because of line twist.
    It's a shame because I love the way the line casts.
    But when I tell you it tangles up badly, I'm not exaggerating.
  • Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Another vote for the Bermuda Triangle Taper. Love it.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I love my Wulff Triangle Taper that I have on my 8wt.
    I have the Airflo on my 9wt and hate it.
    It cast and feels great, but it tangles up like I've never seen before.
    It likes to wrap around my hand mid cast as well.
    I have been frustrated to see a fish eat my fly and take off and then find this giant mess of tangled line make it to the guide and the fish pop loose.

My buddy has the Airflo on his 8wt and he's thinking about switching back to the Triangle Taper as well.
    Although, I was told it's because of line twist.
    It's a shame because I love the way the line casts.
    But when I tell you it tangles up badly, I'm not exaggerating.

Funny. In two and a half years of using the ridge, I think I've had it bind up maybe half a dozen times total. Compared to the experiences I've had with Rio, wulff, teeny, cortland and SA, it's been by far the most trouble free wf/f line I've used.
  • jrasbandjrasband Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    There really is no one "best" flyline. It all depends on what kind of fishing you will be doing. On average, how long are your casts? How spooky/finicky are the fish your targeting. Do you fish big flies/poppers or smaller patterns? I've tried them all and I am currently using Rio Tropical Clouser. The taper is a good compromise between being able to chuck big flies and long distance, delicate presentations. Its basically right in between a redfish and bonefish taper, ie. a good overall saltwater "do it all" line.

Cheers
  • ShallowMinded31ShallowMinded31 Posts: 113 Officer
    Mitch, if you want to cast some Ridgeline Bonefish, gimme a shout. I dont have it in a 8. I do Have a 7 & 9 though.

Nick
    Curiosity was framed. Ignorance killed the cat.
  • paint it blackpaint it black Posts: 138 Officer
    Funny. In two and a half years of using the ridge, I think I've had it bind up maybe half a dozen times total. Compared to the experiences I've had with Rio, wulff, teeny, cortland and SA, it's been by far the most trouble free wf/f line I've used.

It's not only my line. It happens to three of my buddies who have it as well.
    First I thought it may have been caused by the fly line tamer, but it happens when just tossing the line on the deck as well.
    It has seemed to not be as bad anymore. I don't know if maybe it's "breaking in" or something. But it was TERRIBLE. I don't even use my 9wt anymore because of that.
  • tfarmtfarm Posts: 8 Deckhand
    I learned to load a rod with the Triangle Taper as I beilieve it's about a half size heavier in terms of grain weight. So my 8 wt line was more like an 8 1/2. I wore that line out and now am still using a Cortland redfish taper (back up line), which in all honesty has been a good line. Loads rod well. Shoot well.

I did have the opportunity to throw a buddies Xi3 9wt with the Airflow ridge line on it, and it casted like a rocket. Almost tugging the rod out of my hand as the line jumped off the deck and ran out on a long test cast. Very cool indeed. More than likely will be the next line I purchase when this Cortland line wears out.

Can anyone speak to the durability of the airflow line? Someone told me they tend to be more durable than other lines such as my old Triangle taper...
    tfarm wrote: »
    Can anyone speak to the durability of the airflow line? Someone told me they tend to be more durable than other lines such as my old Triangle taper...

Far more durable. They have a 5 year warranty against cracking a delaminating. I fish every single day, and rarely got more than 4 months out of any of the teeny/SA lines that I used to use on my inshore rigs. I've been using the same ridge bonefish lines on my 7's and 8's for the past 3 years.
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer

I second that...
    FYIWFG
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    I have a tfo ticr-x 8 wt (very fast action). With a 9wt SA Mastery series Saltwater it is by far the best casting outfit I own or have ever cast. I also have tfo 6&7 wts that I use with Wulf Bermuda Triangle Taper that I'm real happy with. The Bermuda Triangle works great for Florida flats but leave it home if you go north. Took the 6wt to Montana, just TERRIBLE in real cold.
    Trout Bum
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    P.s. If you go with the Bermuda triangle taper, clean it every trip or every other trip for best performance
  • SnookChaser42SnookChaser42 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Thanks for all of the input you guys. It definitely sounds like the Ridge line and the triangle taper are the unanimous favorites. Nick, I would definitely like to try it out. I'm out in Colorado visiting my sister/catching some trout but should be in Orlando sometime next week so maybe we could meet up to do some fishing. I'll get a hold of you when I get in town.
  • Gladesman1Gladesman1 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I like the Wulffs a bunch on my rods. I found they eliminated half my false casts and shoot much faster than the Rios had. That extra 1/2 weigh casting on the Loomis rods did the trick for me. As I have gotten to be a better caster they have seemed to evolve with me and I haven't bothered to experiment further.....I fish once a week on average and they haven't had any appreciable wear in the 2-3 seasons they have been fished.
  • Captain HookCaptain Hook Posts: 107 Officer
    I have the Rio tropical clouser line as well, a good overall line so far.
  • ultramanultraman Posts: 39 Deckhand

Me the same.
  • GTLGTL Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Ol'DirtyCaster talked me into some Airflow at the shop and I love it. No memory whatsoever.
    The decision has been made, I ordered the airflo line this morning, thanks for all of the feedback. Although the saltwater stuff might to have to take a backseat for a while lol. Just got back from Colorado where I caught a 27 inch rainbow out of the Frying Pan River, one of probably 100 fish caught in 2 days. Caught it on 6x tippet, definitely one of my greatest fishing achievements. Now I can see why everyone goes to that tail water (I wouldn't go on a weekend because I couldn't imagine more people being there and this was during the week). Each day there was about an hour and a half where everything was rising to the surface. There must have been a fish every five feet for two miles. I can't wait for my next trip out west!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,682 Captain
    What? A brute like that and No pictures?
    I know, I wish I could tell you I had one. My sister had the camera at the time and I couldn't track her down and couldn't see taking the fish out of the water to track her down. It was a long fight as it was and I decided that reviving the fish was the right thing to do. Oh well, I guess I will just have to go back and catch her again! I do have some pics of some other nice fish (after I caught that fish, I realized I needed to keep the camera on me!) and will show some once I get them on the computer. Can't say they are too good though, I'm not too good at taking a photo with one hand while holding those slimy things with the other...
    GTL wrote: »
    Ol'DirtyCaster talked me into some Airflow at the shop and I love it. No memory whatsoever.

I love saying told ya so. :Rockon
  • Bill@NSB[email protected] Posts: 207 Deckhand
    For what it's worth, I'll vote for Airflo, too.
    I have it on most of my rods now, really like the line.
    Loads well at all distances.
    Never tried the Whulff, though.
    For what it's worth, I'll vote for Airflo, too.
    I have it on most of my rods now, really like the line.
    Loads well at all distances.
    Never tried the Whulff, though.

It's pretty much the anti-airflo. Lots of memory, lots of stretch. If you use a stripping basket, I'm willing to bet money that you'll hate it.
    GTL wrote: »

There is when its cold out....
    There is when its cold out....

No there isn't. It stiffens up a bit, but still no memory.
    It stiffens up in the form of loops.... ;)
    hmm...whats that called again?

YMMV.
    It stiffens up in the form of loops.... ;)
    hmm...whats that called again?

YMMV.

Umm, no it doesn't. I fish with 80' of line stuffed in a little box, if it was an issue I would have noticed.
    Yes it does. I fish with probably 60' of line in a little box and it did happen to me when it was cold out on multiple occasions.
    Even after stretching the hell out of it, i still couldn't fully get rid of the loopiness.

again, this was when it was really (black drum fishing) cold out.

I'm not trying to knock the line because i love it and bought a couple of them from the store you pimp frequently, i'm just saying that it can and, in my case, does happen.
    Not an issue for me. In the colder months it loads up a little slower, beyond that it's been trouble free, even on the harshest days of Feb/March. Regardless of what kind of conditions you're fishing, it's going to coil up in your basket. Were you expecting it to lay down in little rectangles?
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,682 Captain
    " Were you expecting it to lay down in little rectangles?"

You are TOO funny!!!
    Not an issue for me.

I dont care....you obviously dont care that the line is stiff as hell and coils up in the basket pretty much as it lays on the reel when its cold. I do.
    Regardless of what kind of conditions you're fishing, it's going to coil up in your basket.

agreed. ALL i'm saying is that when its cold it is very stiff and has memory. Are you saying that the line lays in your "little box" the same in 40* weather as it does in 90*?
    Were you expecting it to lay down in little rectangles?

LOL....If only