AVET SX REELS QUESTION ???

MOTORMNMOTORMN Posts: 31 Deckhand
Guys,

Whats your take on these reels ? Are they any good, i'm thinking about getting one for bottom fishing. any info.....

Manny

Replies

• irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    I own a few avets mostly the lx model and so far have zero complaints. Smooth good line capacity and have never had one fail on me. Just rinse them off after a trip and sometimes a Lil lube other than that great reels, just my 2 cents
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
    Love mine as well! Strong and easy to work on.
  • Reeltight79Reeltight79 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    For the price they are one of the best reels out there. I own 4 of them and absolutely love them. They are well built and are extremely easy to take apart to lube. Get one, you wont be disappointed.
  • HenryJHenryJ Posts: 63 Deckhand
    I have about 15 combos. My favorite is an sx on a 7ft seeker rod. I also have an lx. I like the avets.
    05 25 Competition T225 Opti's
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    I've got an SX on a trevala jigging rod with 30lbs braid and absolutely LOVE it! I fish from a kayak a lot and it's super lightweight but surprisingly powerful for nearshore bottomfishing and trolling for kings in the Gulf. First time I got to play around with a buddy's I was shocked at how small it was but it's got muscle behind it and A LOT of line capacity for a reel that's same size as a round baitcaster. Mine's got 500yds of 30lbs braid on it.
    DSC01437.jpg

So far I've caught kings, snapper, grouper, AJ's, Almaco's, triggerfish, bull red drum and sharks on it and it's still kicking strong! Here're a couple:
    King313lbs.jpg

Fisheries12-10-2010.jpg

Get one, you WON'T be disappointed!
    Alex
  • FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer
    The SX is the smallest, yes? I had one, sold it recently on ebay for about 90% of what I paid for it brand new around 2005. The only problem I had with mine was the clicker didn't have enough friction in the off position to keep it from popping on whenever it felt like it. I solved that problem by removing one of the two springs that engaged it.

And the free spool was stupid easy spinning, not practical for my fishing to have a spool spin with that little resistance. Avet put a two phase free spool on the reel to fix that, just make sure you're in the second detent, not all the way at free spool, before you cast, unless you like backlashes.

Great reels though, very good value in a fully machined, US made reel.
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    I am not a fan of their smaller line up - I hate the lever on the reels, while its not a huge deal for me, my wife would put the reels in full when she had a fish on and break them off. I don't need or want to worry about it while fishing. Now the EXW 30/2 is an awesome reel and would be a great Wahoo reel, and its lighter than anything Shimano has to offer (Tiargra)

I went with Accurate reels and they are a thing of beauty, they are amazing.
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Fritz wrote: »
    The SX is the smallest, yes? Great reels though, very good value in a fully machined, US made reel.

Yes, SX is the smallest. Great reel but you may want to consider the next step up which is the MXJ model. Only $10 more and worth every penny as it hold a bunch more line and can also be used for trolling in certain applications.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    flvol77 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of their smaller line up - I hate the lever on the reels, while its not a huge deal for me, my wife would put the reels in full when she had a fish on and break them off. I don't need or want to worry about it while fishing. Now the EXW 30/2 is an awesome reel and would be a great Wahoo reel, and its lighter than anything Shimano has to offer (Tiargra)

I went with Accurate reels and they are a thing of beauty, they are amazing.

Sounds more like the drag's were pre-set too high if full was breaking her off. I personally like lever drag's because they can be pre-set to an exact drag weight before you hit the water. With guests, I'll usually set the fighting drag at full and just tell them to push it all the way forward.

MXJ is a good one too.

Alex
    Yes, SX is the smallest. Great reel but you may want to consider the next step up which is the MXJ model. Only $10 more and worth every penny as it hold a bunch more line and can also be used for trolling in certain applications.

What he said.

The SX is a stunning little machine shop wonder, a really cool reel to hold and behold. If you want to actually fish, something a little bigger is more practical, only because our hands are bigger, never mind line capacity, drag strength ect. The smallest is so cool, but not the best tool for fishing, step it up a notch and be happy.
  • BWFLUBWFLU Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Love my avets got 12 in all mjx exw most are lx3/6 have 8. I did have some lx8to1 and the anti rev. went out at the worst times. thay soon stoped offering them. thay were grate when thay worked .
    BWFLU wrote: »
    Love my avets got 12 in all mjx exw most are lx3/6 have 8. I did have some lx8to1 and the anti rev. went out at the worst times. thay soon stoped offering them. thay were grate when thay worked .

I always wanted an 8 to 1, kriky, my head spins thinking of such speeds, sorry to hear there were problems with them.
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    i have a sx single speed and love it. holds alot of line for the size and its light enough to cast all day. my buddy has a mxl, exw80 and a trx50 he loves his reels they are built like tanks. once u get a sx you are gonna wanna sell all your other reels to replace them with avets.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    I only have one complaint and I love mine. Sometime when you drop it into a rod holder if you do it too hard it throws the reel out of gear. Besides that kicked several 60pd YFT's on it this summer.
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Just buy one you wont be dissapointed. I have an SX and 2 LX's. Soon to come is an 80exw, another Lx and who knows what else I will add after that. They are easy to work on, made in the USA.
    The only draw back I know of is the detent for strike before full is easy to miss. Especially to rookie anglers when they are excited fighting a fish. They go to push it up to strike and end up at full. If you only fish with experienced anglers that will pay attention to that detent your all set. If you fish with lots of rookies I would go with something with a buttom that you have to push in to get to full, or just set your drags low enough that full is workable.
    In the SX I would for sure go wtih Braid, not sure it would hold a ton of mono unless you went pretty light on the mono.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,271 Captain
    You can also invert the belleville washers on the spool shaft and nearly double your top end drag on the SX. Thery don't respond very well to neglect, if you spend a decent amount of time on the water you're going to want to service them every few weeks. I've serviced quite a few of these reels for freinds, and I can tell you first hand that you don't want to wash them down and then throw them in a closet for 3 months. I don't have alot of use for conventional stuff, but it sure is nice to see a quality product that's made in the US, offered at a reasonable price.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    You can also invert the belleville washers on the spool shaft and nearly double your top end drag on the SX. Thery don't respond very well to neglect, if you spend a decent amount of time on the water you're going to want to service them every few weeks. I've serviced quite a few of these reels for freinds, and I can tell you first hand that you don't want to wash them down and then throw them in a closet for 3 months. I don't have alot of use for conventional stuff, but it sure is nice to see a quality product that's made in the US, offered at a reasonable price.

HMMM, Ive had mine for a year, and do what you say not to do. I wish I could fish more but...Anyway never had a problem...