HOG HUNTING

I just realized that this forum isn't just for fishing, it's for hunting too!
Any of you guys hog hunters? Are there any opportunities in or around Citrus County to hunt hogs? I used to hunt them over in San Mateo (Putnam County) and loved it, would rather hunt them than deer, smart buggers. I've also hunted them in the Ocala Scrub (Marion County), but have no idea what's available along the West Coast. Anybody got any suggestions? I'd post a picture if I knew how, but I don't.....

Thanks, Roger

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    I don't know about hunting them, but going down the **** from Yankeetown marina in the winter there seems to be quite a few on the banks of the river...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,191 AG
    Quite a few in Homosassa WMA(Burnt Bridge Rd) think you can hunt them during their small game days.
    Citrus WMA doesn't have many N of Stagestand Rd.
    Chazz WMA has some hogs.

You can look on FWC's website for the regs for each WMA.
    Not trying to be obtuse here. Lots of hogs west of US19.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Sub SailorSub Sailor Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Thanks Guys,

From the response here, it doesn't seem like they are pursued real hard by locals. When I last hunted them, Florida's hog hunting laws were very liberal. As I understood it then, the hogs are the property of whatever land owner they happen to be on. They could be hunted year 'round and you didn't even need a hunting license if you were hunting them on private property (with permission, of course). They cause some real devastation on farm lands.

I was hoping to hook up with somebody down there that hunts them religiously, but I'll do some more local research and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for the come backs...

Roger
  • hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Hell the Hog's west of Hwy 19 were easy Pickins ,used to take two three bags of deer corn ( open one bag) spread out little in bed of pick up truck, back up to the Old Thunder Bird lounge door and Holler soouie, soouie, piggy and here the herd come, Bigguns too, I swear one could eat corn through a picket fence,Thunder Bird gone now , dont know where the Big Sows went, think few went down to Watering Hole south on 19, you know though time takes it toll, so imagine herd is gone on now
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Hotrails they still be there holy cow you know that.They are thick and heavy past the ole rail lines.
    Hotrails and Ponce,

I'll be looking for you guys when I get down there! I'd love to get hooked up with some hog hunting.... Suppose they'd go for a Mirrodine with some cooked corn kernels on the treble hook? Wonder what test line I'd need????
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Posts: 270 Officer
    I saw five of six the other morning while sitting at the stop light at 19/98(Chazz light). They were just rooting around in the ditch on the SE corner, not concerned in the least.
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
    I saw five of six the other morning while sitting at the stop light at 19/98(Chazz light). They were just rooting around in the ditch on the SE corner, not concerned in the least.

High Plains.... I DO have the means of altering their attitude considerably! And I love sausage and eggs for breakfast....

Roger
  • GlennGlenn Floral City, FLPosts: 1,708 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Citrus WMA doesn't have many N of Stagestand Rd.

Lots of hogs just north of Stage Coach around Lizzie Sink....
    Glenn wrote: »
    Lots of hogs just north of Stage Coach around Lizzie Sink....
    Glenn,

Where can I get a good map of the area? The on-line site map isn't very complete. (Lizzie sink doesn't show and I can only find Stage Pond.) It sounds like there there is no shortage of hogs, I will look into the possibilities and do more research when I get down there.

Thanks to all you guys for the help and information,
    Roger
    Lizzie Sink is about a mile north of Stage Coach Road and a mile or so West of Forest Road 13.

It is around the area with some caves etc.. but you are gonna have to wait till small game season to hunt them unless you have a quota permit.

Small Game is in January...

There are alot of hogs out there id you find some water and acorns....
    Sub Sailor wrote: »
    Glenn,

Where can I get a good map of the area? The on-line site map isn't very complete. (Lizzie sink doesn't show and I can only find Stage Pond.) It sounds like there there is no shortage of hogs, I will look into the possibilities and do more research when I get down there.

Thanks to all you guys for the help and information,
    Roger
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    Just Google Lizzie Hart Sink and you'll get your maps.

It's a pretty area with good access.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,936 Moderator
    Lots of piggy hunting around here. Tide swamp has plenty.
    Seen these earlier this year while driving Tide Swamp. Nevermind default date.

IMGP0309.jpg
    IMGP0306.jpg

I killed this one this year.

IMGP01992.jpg

Almost every management area has hogs. Plenty in Goethe Mgnt area,Jumper creek etc. Not counting any private property you man be able to get access to.
    Good hunting.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Glenn, Doc and Capt. Louie,

Thanks you guys, I appreciate it! Nice hog Capt'n, what'd it weigh? All nice black pigs too! Where I used to hunt over in San Mateo most of them were mixed colors. The family that owned the ranch, (4,500 acres) box trapped them at different times of the year and they sold all the black ones they caught to a big hunting outfit over in Alabama, who told their 'sports' they were hunting Russian boars, when all they were, was a bunch of 'throw back' Piney Ridge Rooters! We all had a good laugh over that...

Roger
    100# even Roger .
    capt louie wrote: »
    100# even Roger .

Nice hog Cap, is there a good butcher in the area who can make a decent sausage? Man I miss good country sausage and hot boiled peanuts! I don't suppose it would do my health any good, but I think I could live on sausage and boiled peanuts, maybe with a little seafood thrown in now and again for variety!

Where is 'Tide Swamp' located? I most likely won't get to do any hunting this year, but I'd like to do as much exploring and sight seeing as I can.

Roger
    Tide swamp is just outside of Steinhatchee. There are a few places around that make decent sausage.
    Goethe mgmt area is closer and has plenty of pigs.
    capt louie wrote: »
    Goethe mgmt area is closer and has plenty of pigs.

I found it Cap! Thanks! I can see I'm going to be busy just trucking around learning where everything is and what's available.... Mmmmm I can smell sausage frying now!!

Roger
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain
    I found it Cap! Thanks! I can see I'm going to be busy just trucking around learning where everything is and what's available.... Mmmmm I can smell sausage frying now!!

Roger

Okay Roger...I'll go hog hunting with you. I know we're going fishing but I need to get a hog for the smoker. We'll set something up when you're here.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Billy wrote: »
    Okay Roger...I'll go hog hunting with you. I know we're going fishing but I need to get a hog for the smoker. We'll set something up when you're here.

Bill

Bill!! Man alive! This winter escape is looking better every minute! I was only going to do some scouting this year, but now I'm thinking I ought to make room for my 7mm-08, Rem Mod 7!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Lots of hogs and places to hunt.

I have killed hogs at the following.

http://myfwc.com/media/2158336/Mallory-Swamp.pdf

http://myfwc.com/media/2158282/Devils-Hammock.pdf

Lower Suwanee NWR
    http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/swehnt.pdf

I will have to check out Tide Swamp.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    Walkin' in the woods with Billy and loaded guns? :crossed
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,705 Captain

You're a funny man. And I see you called the other day but since you didn't leave a message I guess it wasn't fishing related? :grin I slipped out today but all I got was a bunch of trout and sea bass. And ate up with those **** no see'um's coming back in.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Doc,

I sense you are trying to impart a message here and although I am normally careful with whom I hunt, in this instance I shall throw caution to the wind and make the most of Bill's offered opportunity! After all, he knows me no better than I know him, which may make both of us wary, but a chance at fresh country sausage would be well worth our concern..

I shall be vigilant and hopeful at the same time...

Roger
    Billy wrote: »
    And ate up with those **** no see'um's coming back in.

Bill

Dang Bill, I was rather hoping your recent cold snap would have frozen the next ten generations of those voracious little gnats back to the stone age... No such luck, huh?

Roger
    Lots of hogs in Goethe...

I let them walk this past archery season because I hunt 1.5 mile back in there and it was to hot to pull them out. Hope to get one during the January Small Game Season.
  • pupsnuspupsnus Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    I'm thinking I ought to make room for my 7mm-08, Rem Mod 7!
    I don't believe that you are allowed to use centerfire rifles in the WMAs during small game season.
    pupsnus wrote: »
    I don't believe that you are allowed to use centerfire rifles in the WMAs during small game season.

Holy mackerel Pups, what are you supposed to shot hogs with a .22? I guess I'd better do some more research!!

Roger
    pupsnus wrote: »

Pups, You are correct!!! Here is the Regulation from the Goethe website:

Small Game Season:
    January 5-27.
    Permit, Stamp and License Requirements - Hunting license, management area permit, migratory bird permit (if hunting migratory birds), and state waterfowl permit and federal duck stamp (if hunting waterfowl).
    Legal to Hunt - Wild hog, gray squirrel, quail, rabbit, raccoon, opossum, armadillo, beaver, coyote, skunk, nutria, bobcat, otter and migratory birds in season.
    Regulations Unique to Small Game Season - In addition to these regulations, all General Area Regulations shall apply.*** Hunting with centerfire rifles is prohibited.***

Dang, what's that mean, shotguns only? I guess slugs would work alright...

Roger
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    If you use slugs buy several types and makes and shoot your gun a bunch. Some guns don't shoot them worth a **** and some guns are particular to certain kinds/types. Don't forget to use open choke.

00 is fine. Pattern it as well.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg