Marathon 11/17 patch reef

Despite hearing reports of dolphin practically jumping in the boat we stayed inside the reef due to the wind. After catching a well full of pinfish we hit one of our local patches in about 20 feet. The action was fairly steady and we ended up with a couple of grouper (one keeper), a mangrove, a cero and a small reef shark that was released.

On Sunday we tried the same thing in slightly worse winds. Due to the lack of visibility we had troubles getting next to the reef. Despite my wife seeing an airborne cobia chasing bait when we arrived we only caught three nurse sharks. Actually it was no more than two since the second and third were the same fish.

My neighbors had good reports of dolphin offshore in 300 feet on Saturday but were also nearly blanked on Sunday. The dolphin Saturday were good-sized 15-20 pounders.

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Not a bad days catch for such a little guy.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Officer
    Seems like theres been a push of bigger 'phins lately. Thanks for the report.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Saw a slammer and several nice gaffers, as well as plenty of shakers on the dock here in Key Largo on Saturday. Captain said he picked em up in about 300-400 feet. I sure wish we could've gotten out there but the persistent wind, as well as offshore storm cells, kept us on the inside.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Aweome job on the patches. Plenty of time left to chase Phins. We had the same conditions last year at this time. The Phins stayed around through early January, then it slowed.
    Saw a slammer and several nice gaffers, as well as plenty of shakers on the dock here in Key Largo on Saturday. Captain said he picked em up in about 300-400 feet. I sure wish we could've gotten out there but the persistent wind, as well as offshore storm cells, kept us on the inside.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    I remember hearing you say that earlier in the year. Mild winter, weaker spring bite than normal, but a very active fall/winter bite. I sure hope that is the case because I am ready for some bloody dolphin mayhem! Thanks for the continued reports.

So you jumped some cobia on the patches huh? That's a nice little surprise. Makes me wish I would've tossed out a freelined livie now...I put cobia catching in a class all to itself, I love it!
  • gatormonroegatormonroe Posts: 198 Deckhand
    We didn't jump the cobia. He jumped himself. :-)

He was chasing some bait. All I saw was the bait. It looked like a large houndfish. My wife saw the cobia then described it to me as a long, brown, thick-bodied fish. I asked if it had a horizontal stripe and she said yes. As the spoon was sailing through the air in the same general direction I told her that it was a cobia. I didn't have a live bait that I could get that far, but one was in the water about two minutes later.