November Wind, Seasickness, Patch Reefs, Weeds, Rocks, and Muttons.

Wind was gusting pretty good from the North early Friday. Did not want to mess around chasing Sailfish offshore as my guests just wanted to bend the rod & catch dinner. Set up in 90 ft, but sea sickness took its toll shortly after the hook was set.

Went with plan B and hit a couple of my favorite patch reefs and rockpiles in 15ft-20ft of water that hold nice Snappers in the winter.

Caught the big Mutton on an ultra light rod spooled with 12 lb. mono spliced to 12 flouro. The fish rocked up, gave him a little, after waiting 5 minutes or so he swam out, to make it even more challenging the fish then piled into bunch of floating weed, but my client stayed on him, so into the net came the fish & along 5lbs. of weed. Shortly after landing the bigger fish, we managed another nice eating Mutton.

We released 15 smaller muttons all measuring around 14 inches & 13 Yellowtail that measured over 12 inches. They only wanted to keep what they could eat as they were flying back home on Monday.

I try to use very little or no chum on the patch reefs. Just enough to get the scent in the water. Typically I use 20 dozen fresh dead shrimp crushed, let them dry a little to help with the stink. Then I add a little fish oil, bonito meat, ladyfish and other stuff. Sometimes it works, kept the grunts away yesterday and fish hungry. Hope everyone is able to get out and bend the rod over the holidays and catch a couple for Thanksgiving.

Replies

• fyrdriverfyrdriver Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Nice job, way to salvage the trip! I do have one question though, does the chum you described actually keep the grunts away?
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Frydiver,

Na, they still come around, just not in great numbers. I do more chunk style chumming in winter, if they are around they will get caught up in the scent. [

QUOTE=fyrdriver;1074616]Nice job, way to salvage the trip! I do have one question though, does the chum you described actually keep the grunts away?[/QUOTE]
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 816 Officer
    Nice muttons. Sounds like you did a really good job of making the most of a tough day for your fishermen.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,750 Captain
    Well done Capt. "They only wanted to keep what they could eat as they were flying back home on Monday." What a great line. Think I would have liked to fish with those guys.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Augie3000Augie3000 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Thanks Capt. Great report and also great tip for the chumming.
    Capt. Augie Moss
    www.HereFishyCharters.com
  • fyrdriverfyrdriver Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Ah, I got you now. I was kinda hoping you had found a grunt repellent! Thanks for the tip.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    Good job captain! Nothing like being able to switch to Plan B and still produce. Due to the persistent blow, we had to resort to staying inside and doing some patch reef fishing as well in Key Largo area. We were in that 12-20 foot range and were able to boat two nice muttons about the size of the ones in your picture, along with one flag yellowtail, and one keeper yellowtail. We chummed about a block an hour. Fishing with chunk pieces of ballyhoo and squid pretty much resulted in undersized grunts, muttons, yellowtail, and one small gag grouper. Switched it up to whole ballyhoo on an in-line rig and caught all four of our keepers. Bite was on for about an hour, then completely shut down about mid-day Saturday. Nice to see the toothy creatures coming in already. It should only get better too!
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Chewdog-Very solid! The muttons are hungry right now that for sure. Got lucky today with a big boy. Hoping it lays down for the wahoo hunt later this week.
    Thanks Captain, I enjoy the sharing of information, and try to add what I can. I wish I could fish 8 days a week, but I don't have that option, lol. Wish we had a little more report activity on the forum. I know I can always count on hearing from you though, and you are practically a neighbor. Keep the info coming because there are many of us who keep up with it.
  • swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Officer
    Very solid information about less chum meaning sometimes more quality fish. It took a trip where I ran out of chum to realize that. Thanks for the report.
  • MaxdOutMaxdOut Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    -Chewdog2121 do you live in Key Largo? Do you fish around Hawks channel in front of Rodriguez Key?
    I do, and yes I do. Lots of nice little patches here and there along that run.
    MaxdOut wrote: »
    -Chewdog2121 do you live in Key Largo? Do you fish around Hawks channel in front of Rodriguez Key?