Deep water mutton rig

When you guys fish 240 for muffins what kind of rig are you using and how much weight?
Take out your boat, make a memory!

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 991 Officer
    I've only used two kinds of rigs: a regular fishfinder rig (barrel weight on main line, swivel, leader) and a 3 way swivel rig (main line to top eye, bank sinker on short piece of mono to bottom eye, and leader connected to the third eye. Weight really depends on the current, anywhere from 6 oz to 16 oz.
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,663 Captain
    x2
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 816 Officer
    I was reading on a different thread, that Bouncer Smith ( a top Miami captain) likes to use a knocker rig for both Muttons and grouper. Especially if he is fishing a gnarly, snaggy bottom. Try doing a search on "knocker rig". The rig needs to sit right on the bottom.
  • dt-fishingdt-fishing Posts: 157 Officer
    It depends on conditions, and if you're drifting or anchoring?
  • captdallas2captdallas2 Posts: 130 Officer
    Northern wrote: »
    I was reading on a different thread, that Bouncer Smith ( a top Miami captain) likes to use a knocker rig for both Muttons and grouper. Especially if he is fishing a gnarly, snaggy bottom. Try doing a search on "knocker rig". The rig needs to sit right on the bottom.

I have some customers that I prefer use knocker rigs. :) A knocker or larger jig head works well, especially with ballyhoo as a bait (live or dead).
    Tight Lines,

Dallas,

fishing consultant
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Rule of thumb for me as I was taught, knocker rigs 15-50ft of water, over 50 go with leader rigs. At anchor. Depends on the current. Use fresh dead ballyhoo plugs or for even bigger grouper use butterflied dead fresh goggle eyes. Grouper will tear these up if they are around.

Cast your knocker rig as far as you can get it off either side of the boat and let it drift back to your spot. Let the current take your rig, you will feel the little guys nibble first, then shortly after the grouper or big snapper will be all over it. Keep it tight.

Keep it simple, its my choice of rig in 30ft on the patches.
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 660 Officer
    Thanks, I usually use a fishfinder but I was wondering about the weight. Sounds like you just need enough so you can get to the bottom. I guess the deepest I have been fishing is around 120, I will try deeper this spring. Should have the new motors by then.:crossed
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • Deep PenetrationDeep Penetration Posts: 64 Deckhand
    I like fishing for muttons on the deeper wrecks. Any of the public wrecks will hold them. They do get a lot of pressure, but mostly from weekend warriors who don't know how to fish them properly. Good rule of thumb is the deeper and smaller the wreck the harder it is to fish. If you can get dialed in it will provide for some nice fish on almost every trip. There are numberous wreck in 250' or deeper than almost always account for a nice mutton or two whenever I decide to fish them. Drifting is the only way to go. The lead depends on the amount of current your fishing in. I only use fishfinder or 3 way rigs when drifting deep wrecks targeting snapper and knocker or heavy jigs when looking for grouper.