NAVIONICS FOR PHONE

Well its been a while since i got out. But that honey due list is gettin shorter. I downloaded the navionics for my phone, was wonder if anybody else had it and actully used it. it seems more like a novility thing to me, but I do like the tide charts in it. Will be out sat. for some scallops and hopefully a little fishin.

Replies

• tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    I used it in the interim from the point I bought my boat until my Garmin 541s came in- it worked absolutely great! I also use "Marine Weather Pro, by Bluefin" and "Time2Fish" apps to decide when and if I go fishing (coupled with wunderground.com). Time2Fish keeps the tidal information and lists moon phases and lists 'ideal' fishing times based on moon phases and tides for your location.

As for Navionics, I do keep it on my phone as a backup GPS and would use it again in a heartbeat. My only problem was reading it on the EVO screen in the sunlight was a bit tricky, and doing so as it's bouncing around my console going 30+ knots wasn't fun. I found a sweet spot to wedge it between the glass and my console.

A little tip though, if you do use it on the water, put your phone in "Airplane Mode" to conserve battery life. Most phone GPS receivers will still operate in airplane mode but your phone won't constantly be straining for signal out there. If you need to make a call, just remember to turn airplane mode back "off".
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Hey Bill give me a call.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,662 Captain
    tekmunki wrote: »
    I used it in the interim from the point I bought my boat until my Garmin 541s came in- it worked absolutely great! I also use "Marine Weather Pro, by Bluefin" and "Time2Fish" apps to decide when and if I go fishing (coupled with wunderground.com). Time2Fish keeps the tidal information and lists moon phases and lists 'ideal' fishing times based on moon phases and tides for your location.

As for Navionics, I do keep it on my phone as a backup GPS and would use it again in a heartbeat. My only problem was reading it on the EVO screen in the sunlight was a bit tricky, and doing so as it's bouncing around my console going 30+ knots wasn't fun. I found a sweet spot to wedge it between the glass and my console.

A little tip though, if you do use it on the water, put your phone in "Airplane Mode" to conserve battery life. Most phone GPS receivers will still operate in airplane mode but your phone won't constantly be straining for signal out there. If you need to make a call, just remember to turn airplane mode back "off".

All good advice. I have it on my Droid (Galaxy S) and with the recent update it works as good as my Garmin 541...just smaller and less bells and whistles. I'm not sure how you save a track but you can use the track feature and delete the tracks after a trip.

If you have a Droid or IPhone it is certainly a cheap app (about ten bucks or so) and makes a great backup unit.

I also have a 12volt charger I keep in the boat in case the phone's batteries go dead.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    I have it and love it. I look at the tide charts several times a week and whenever someone mentions they went fishing and had a great day I break it out and make them show me where. :p
  • TINCANTINCAN Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. I will get to play with sat off crystal river.
    thanks to ripnlips too. hey yall look for me out off crystal river ill be the guy in the white boat. thanks again.
  • flneckflneck Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Which one are you using? When I looked them up I couldn't find coverage for the gulf, exept for a small amount in the eastern marine app.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,662 Captain
    flneck wrote: »
    Which one are you using? When I looked them up I couldn't find coverage for the gulf, exept for a small amount in the eastern marine app.

It's called Marine: U S East.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    US Central is the one I'm using. It has almost the entire gulf in it, but I don't have any of the east side of florida. I fish north florida sometimes and us east didn't have that area. I don't know why they don't have one with better coverage. I suppose you can buy multiple copies...
  • tsunamitsunami Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    i have it for my iphone. Good app, gives me chartplotter capabilities, etc. Cheap, only $10. I do like that I can take pictures with it and email them with coordinates instantly with the iphone. This way if we get into some good stuff I can email it back to my co-workers who are stuck in their offices.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    I have it on my Iphone, I love it, as others have posted it's a great back up, I love the tide features because it follows you as you track, for instance....leaving the river it gives tides for shell island in the search option, but as I travel south it will give mangrove point first....all tide locals are available, just lists them in accordance to your "current" location. I like the tracking option too, allows me to save safe tracks, as I am still learning the region. I loaded it over a year ago, was only $5 then, but still even for $10 not too shabby.....Downside is if you need it for immediate navigational aid, and without signal....i.e. out dated and worn out GPS unit onboard, foul weather approaches....if you have lil or no signal, you get no "real time" positioning or heading. The pic app is cool too, take a pic where the bite is hot, it saves the coridinates....IMO certainly not a waste of funds, we lose more than $10 in bait or tackle in a day....well I do anyway lol....Tight Lines
  • BluegaterBluegater Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I have the "Navionics Marine&Lakes : USA" v 2.0 on my iPhone. For ten bucks it's really outstanding. In May, I went sailing on a friends boat from Punta Gorda to Dry Tortugas, Key West and back to Punta Gorda. It was dead on the whole trip. Buoys, channels, etc. Of course my friend's sailboat had a top line 12" Garmin chartplotter, but I always take my old Garmin handheld in case of emergencies. The iPhone/Navionics app was much more responsive, better detail, color, other features than the handheld. After a day, I put away the handheld and used the iPhone w/ Navionics app. I does rip thru the battery if you use it constantly. It will now be the primary on my jon boat with the handheld being the backup. It will be the backup to the Lowrance chartplotter on my bay boat.
  • M4RealM4Real Posts: 122 Deckhand
    This a great little app. Unfortunately, it crashes and reboots my iPhone fairy often. I hope they update it soon and fix that.