Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Clueless

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Senior MemberPosts: 24,412 AG
Wellllllllllll, we live in FL (i.e., lots of tourists around.) Also, on this board many know which buttons to push.

How many like this have you seen and or otherwise know?

With no further delay - have fun with the video.

[video=youtube_share;LApO_BDRE8M]http://youtu.be/LApO_BDRE8M[/video]

Replies

• FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,486 AG
    :rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • GuidenetGuidenet Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 239 Officer
    Hey, I resemble that remark and that video. What are you trying to do to my reputation?:mad
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Senior Member Posts: 24,412 AG
    Guidenet wrote: »
    Hey, I resemble that remark and that video. What are you trying to do to my reputation?:mad

That may be but the difference between you and the folks in the video is you end up with a good photo.......

And on a different but related point (not to derail my own thread) Why the D800 and not the "E"? I mean if it is $3K......at that point what is 10-percent more for having no AA.
    I tried the D800E and really did get more moire than I wanted to mess with. I decided I did want the AA filter on there and basically I can not tell the difference even pixel peeping. It was especially bad shooting water scenes which I shoot a lot of.

Also, now that I'm doing photography full time for a living, I'm not sure I want to put up with moire in the studio or on location with corporate portraits and clothing patterns. Either one is **** sharp and has killer dynamic range. I'm going to let having no AA filter go a generation I think. I'm really very happy with the D800 and have no desire to change anything. To me, this is the definitive camera available for anyone at any price. I just don't think there's anything better for any price tag or any brand. Nikon hit a solid home run here.

I can crop away half of the image and still have the same resolution as a Canon 7D. I can crop away and still have the same as my D700 if I then enlarge the image back to full frame. It's crazy nice. Let me tell you. In photoshop, I can take the magnifier tool and just keep clicking and it takes forever to get where I can finally see little square pixelation. Postage stamp sized crops of a bird in flight can now be taken and be still plenty sharp and contrasty.

Normally, with 36 megapixels you'd expect poor noise qualities at high ISO, but when Sony and Nikon combined forces here we have great high iSO perfomance that actually beats my D700 and comes very close to my D3S. The dynamic range is now over 14 stops and whups anything out there. You can pull real detail out of totally what you think are blown highlights if you shoot in 14 bit RAW. Your monitor can't see it, but it's there to pull. You can see it when you're done. The same with shadows. Color depth is truly amazing too, rivalling the very best medium format digitals costing $80,000. How's that?

Both the D800 and D800E are one and two at DxOMark over all the medium formats and way above anything by Canon, Sony or Pentax, not that this matters, but it becomes a better tool as you learn how to take advantage of it. I'm still learning, but am amazed sometimes, especially at the dynamic range. I've thought about having to use HDR or blending on a shot and often find I'm done when I view the right RAW file in the mix. I don't need a thing but the usual stuff like a little dodge or burn here and there an cropping for display. The 3x2 orientation is usually not too good. I generally crop to 5x4. It depends. 5x4 gives you 8x10 and 16x20 which are two of my favorite sizes. It's better than buying custom frames and matting.

People claim that you have to use your best glass with it, but that's a lot of bunk I think. Consider the pixel density is about the same as a D7000 and less than all the Canon crop models. It's way less than the new D3200 or D5200. If the D800/E requires top glass then they also should. But no, I have noticed more flaws in some FX glass. For example, my Nikkor 70-300VR always seemed sharp edge to edge and all the way to 300mm. When the reviewers said it wasn't as sharp from 275 to 300, I just figured mine was a great copy. Put it on my D800 and I can see that it softens up after 275mm. It's not bad, but I do see it.

The same goes for most of my old manual focus glass. For example, I have a very very sharp Nikkor 105 f/2.5 AI lens I bought new in 1978. It's been one of my favorite portrait lenses and still it today. On the D800 I can see the flaws and it is not nearly as sharp as I always thought it was. It's just too bad. I'll reassess all my old glass. It won't keep me from using it but will maybe modify how often and on what camera. Here's a shot I took of my bathroom window using this combination and I used LiveView to focus accurately and a sturdy tripod.

bathroom-9-23-12.jpg

Here's the same 105 f/2.5 on the older 12 mp D700 hand held.

motorcycle-8-5-12.jpg

You agree? I think the top photo is just not as sharp and I took all the care in the world. The bottom image is sharp to me and no special care taken. The difference was a 12 megapixel camera on the bottom and a 36 megapixel camera at the top.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • GermGerm Senior Member Tampa, FLPosts: 1,704 Captain
    im totally a lens spotter. When i goto big events and shoot with other media guys we always talk tech. Its kinda funny at times when we know a new guy is at an event
    I looked at the video again to figure out what a lens spotter is. I suppose it could be me when talking to other photographers, but on the job or out for pleasure, I don't care about specifications much and prefer to concentrate on photography. If I had to choose one, it might be the Hero Sideliner. I find myself many times unprepared when I should be ready for the money shot. I'd probably make a lousy media photographer.

Germ, who do you shoot for over there? Just curious. I do corporate portraits and events mostly for one company, but have been told I might have to do some media coverage in the future. Who knows? It's a large company.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Senior Member Stuart, FLAPosts: 10,024 AG
    Great video.

After watching, I was just thinking how badly I want a 300 2.8, so I googled it. Ouch...but....I saw that Ken Rockwell says you can get an old manual focus 300 2.8 for 1/10 the cost. Hmmm, interesting. Wonder if that's worth looking into. It sure looks cool, with about a 6-inch front lens...

After that, I looked up my old favorite on ebay, the same 105 2.5 mentioned above. $100 or so. Wow, I might have to get one...even if it is a bit soft....would be great for video as well, much better manual focusing feel than new lenses.

Decisions decisions.....

And, I'm getting to love my D800 more every day!!
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    Great video.

After watching, I was just thinking how badly I want a 300 2.8, so I googled it. Ouch...but....I saw that Ken Rockwell says you can get an old manual focus 300 2.8 for 1/10 the cost. Hmmm, interesting. Wonder if that's worth looking into. It sure looks cool, with about a 6-inch front lens...

After that, I looked up my old favorite on ebay, the same 105 2.5 mentioned above. $100 or so. Wow, I might have to get one...even if it is a bit soft....would be great for video as well, much better manual focusing feel than new lenses.

Decisions decisions.....

And, I'm getting to love my D800 more every day!!

Me too, pal. Me too. It's simply a wonderful camera, but I also love my older D700 a lot as well. It has a certain style and charactor that's hard to beat. The D3s has been with me too short of a time and is too close to the D700 for me to all in love with so quickly. LOL

I'm sure any 300 f/2.8 will be great. Those old models are what got my to eventually buy the new one. They made me put it on my bucket list. Ken Rockwell has probably never seen one, but that's ok, he has pretty pictures of them. He borrows them from real photographers from time to time. :huh

I'm not sure about my old favorite, the 105 f/2.5. I've finding that particular design very hard to manually focus on my D800. Others have said the same. It was great on the D700 and really shined, but a little harder, in fact too darn hard on the D800. I'm really considering retiring both of them.

I priced two 300 f/2.8 lenses last week for a friend. We found AFI models in good condition for around $1800 and AFS non-VR for close to $3000-$4000 depending on age, if it matters to you. We ddn't look at AF, AFD or AI models so I don't know. Mine is a 300 f/2.8 AF-S VR from almost two years ago and I love it. :thumbsup

D700-300mm2.jpg