Home Angler On Foot

Surf Fishing in WPB??

Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 670 Officer
Hey guys, I'm a college student living in WPB. I have never done surf fishing and keep hearing about this pompano run that I believe should be about to start up??? I might be wrong but I do want to give it a try. Also what else can be caught off the beach here in WPB? I live right by royal palm bridge about 5 minutes from the beach so I would appreciate any info provided. Just trying to land my first fish off the beach and hopefully my first pompano.
Thanks everyone!! Tight Lines

Replies

• Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    I am much more familiar with summer surf fishing. Freelined live pilchards in the surf is a sure fire way to hook snook, tarpon, and big jacks. At winter everyone seems to fish pompano rigs with shrimp or sand fleas. Look up a pompano rig, and throw that as far as possible. Shark fishing is also really good off palm beach island, as well as snapper because of the reef right there. You're always welcome to come out with me though in boynton or delray.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,827 Captain
    Don't know much about WPB but there are plenty of pompano caught just north of there at MacArthur Park in North Palm and there is great access in Juno Beach and Jupiter. If you have access farther south, give it a shot. A good easy setup is 2 rods with 2 or 3 hook dropper rigs baited with sandfeas. Throw one rig right in the trough - sometimes only 20 feet out at low tide. Put the other rig farter out - beyond the bar break if you see one. Walking a beach at 7-8 AM when a lot of retirees are out fishing is a good way to gauge the action on a particular stretch.
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 163 Deckhand
    No pompano here yet. I would check out Hutchinson Island north of WPB. With this cold weather who knows. But they will be here soon.