Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Noob in the kitchen, but a ton of fish that needs cookin!

Maybe it's because my kitchen doesn't really have a vent fan above my stove and instead I have to open my door and have a fan blowing out to keep my place from getting smokey. Or maybe it's because my kitchen is really small that I hate using it. Anyway, I like to cook but I hate doing it in my kitchen but you don't have a lot of room to argue when you're in school and working and trying to find time to fish so I sucked it up and got to work. I'm a noob in the kitchen but sometimes I make things turn out 'not bad'. Having a 39" mahi and a 12lb scamp in the fridge on ice I've been texting friends seeing who wants a free meal because I need to get this stuff gone. Crazy how most of them fail to get back to me, don't like seafood really or instead decide to have a bbq with beef. :huh I think it's really high time for some new friends. I mean, I don't cook a bad seafood dish, I pick the easy recipes off food network and go to town.

So last night I made a trip to publix and $45 later armed with yellow bell peppers, red onion, a bunch of 'fresh' herbs, a few spices, baby spinich and arugula and a few other things I was set for the task. However it occurred to me while paying that if I were to have my own herb garden and grow some arugula and spinich I could probably save a lot of money on dinner... but anyway the task was barbeque mahi mahi with yellow bell pepper pesto. Made a barbeque rub which of course was easy. The pesto was a pain only because you had to grill and peel the bell peppers and I had never done it before. All said and done it actually came out pretty good. The mahi was great with the rub and the pesto proved to be pretty tasty. Since I was the only one eating I skipped out on making any rice or veggies.

523658_10151307175584085_608894224_n.jpg

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 12,200 AG
    Looks good. What spices on the fish. Not a fan of bells though. I worked with Cubanelle peppers last night. Will post them up soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • the barbeque rub consisted of paprika, chile powder, cumin, brown sugar and just salt&pepper. Turned out really nice.